“Lovely room & friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Miami Hotel Melbourne

Miami Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #62 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Slough, United Kingdom
“Lovely room & friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights on a stop over and really enjoyed it. The room was lovely and clean, the bed was very comfortable and there was a nice flat screen TV. The bathroom was very clean and the shower was amazing. I didn't use any of the other parts of the hotel, but the staff were very friendly and helpful and a joy to deal with. Location was good, about a 20 minute walk into town and there are several little restaurants very near the hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Miami Hotel is basic but decent accommodation, and suit my needs quite well. Aside from an embarrassing exchange with the staff where I thought they were going to overcharge me - totally my fault in the end, I'd paid only a deposit online when I thought I'd paid the whole room off - service was great and I was always greeted at the desk with a smile. I was issued with a couple of vouchers for the attached café, which was great for starting the day in a hurry for the convention I was attending - yummy raisin toast and a hot chocolate to go got me on the way each day. It's very close to bus and tram stops, and a couple of blocks away from the North Melbourne train station, so very convenient for public transport, and a bit more of a hike into the CBD (but not an overly strenuous one). The neighbourhood is well-served - a few good restaurants and banks/ATMs around the place, as well as a 7-Eleven not too far away. The room itself was in the back corner of the complex and fairly quiet. The bed was comfy and there were plenty of extra pillows, the in-room temperature was good, and the tea-making facilities always a welcome bonus. The bathroom was a good size too and adequately stocked. All in all, a good stay. (Also, just FYI - because of a flight delay, I caught a taxi from Tullamarine to here - I'd rather have caught the Skybus then trammed it - but it cost about AUS$56 for the taxi fare.)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank colinwsmith
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Was there for 1 week found the place awesome. The room was nice and clean and had soft bed with a good bathroom. The staffs were really helpful and if you had a question regarding the city they would help you out. There was also a good café inside the hotel which served good food and also the hotel was close to the centre of the city, which was about 25 minutes’ walk. My conclusion to my stay good hotel, helpful/nice staff and not that far to the centre of the city and would stay here again if I go to Melbourne again.

Room Tip: look at every reviews
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mark b
Beijing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

1. I have lost several hundred yuan because of the check-in. When I checked in, the man charged American dollars instead of Australian dollars from my credit card, and at the rate of 0.95, when I raised the question: why charge me with American dollar instead of Australian dollar, the man simply lied: they are the same. But they are not. They know the Australian dollar is devaluing, devaluing, and devaluing...and now the rate to American dollar is just 0.89. Their other excuse is: it just popped up from the computer automatically, but on the receipt I got there is a note saying: I have been offered the choices of multiple currencies including their home currency, but the fact is that he didn't even give me the choice. When I explained this to the the manager the next day, the manager just said, I didn't know what happened to the computer and I knew nothing about the exchange rate, and offered us one simple breakfast for 2 people as an apology, which can never compensate my loss.
They are just not honest!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Carrie L
SomersKel, General Manager at Miami Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback..
I am sorry that the check in process has left a bad taste in your mouth.
I truly hope that outside of this you enjoyed the rest of your stay...
It is standard policy to ask guests paying by international card whether they wish to pay in AUD or to accept the exchange rate which is dictated by the merchant facilities..
If this did not happen, I apologise..
I did not get the opportunity to speak with you, I realise one of the other managers did, and gave you FREE breakfast for 2, Value $14 Australian dollars, and discount vouchers for the café..
I am sorry you don't feel as though this was enough of an apology for what seems to be a miscommunication at Check In.. I have issued a staff notice to again go through the process / policy of charging international cards, and to ensure that guests have the choice at time of the card transaction.
I do not believe this one situation classifies us as dishonest, and don't appreciate that comment.
As your feedback states, there was acceptance and recognition of a mistake transpiring.
Kind regards
Kelly
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

After looking online for sometime a decided to book Miami Hotel to stay in for my visit to Melbourne. This hotel had all I needed and more. Clean and tidy.Fantastic friendly staff. Close to tram stop and restaurants.If you are after accomodation on a budget but still have privacy this is a great place. Also as a solo traveller I felt vey safe. Thank you. I look forward to returning in the near future.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very helpful with the booking (i couldn't pay by card and they promptly offer other payment methods).

All Staff were very friendly and keen to help. The room was very very clean and well equipped.

The location is perfect (just a few minutes from the city circle tram stop).

Undoubtedly will be my choice next time i visit Melbourne!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Superior Queen and cant complain. I didn't walk around the building so i don'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

The staff couldnt have been more helpful or friendly. Anything we asked for or about, all staff were happy to help us out. We had a 2-bedroom room and the shower was AMAZING. Even my 2 kids (aged 9 and 7) loved it. Great to have a bath tub to soak our weary bodies in.

Close to tram stop, IGA, restaurants, Queen Vic Markets and Etihad Stadium. Our rooms both had heaters and TV's in them. They were serviced daily during our 4 night stay and were extremely clean. The lack of lift was a bit of a down side as after a day of walking, the last thing we felt like was going up two flights of stairs just to cook in the kitchen. Luckily our room was on ground floor.

Would definitely recommend this to other families as it is affordable, safe and close to the City without tram noise and other "city noises". Can't wait for our return visit. Thanks to all staff

Room Tip: We had room 15 on the ground floor which was at the end of a corridor and very quiet. We were very h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family