“Helpful Staff!”

Miami Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #80 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I got a great deal online at the Miami and took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was small but very comfortable with TV, fridge, closet space, desk, and modern clean bathroom.
The Miami is across the street from a bunch of fantastic cafe's and a grocery store. Not too far from a train stop too. The hotel had onsite coin laundry and pay internet. The staff was the highlight of the place. George was very helpful with advice on nightlife, transportation, even called a club for me to see which band was playing!
It's on the far north end of the CBD, but within walking distance if you like to go for a stroll. I'd defenitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UsaPassportStamper

Reviewed March 6, 2008

Recently I had to travel urgently to Melbourne for business and due to L'Oreal fashion week and the Motorshow was unable to get accomodation at my coys preferred hotel partners - Sofitel or Hilton. In fact a visit to lastminute.com & wotif determined that there were no vacancies in any star rated hotels in Melb for that night.

On this basis our corporate travel agent booked me into the Miami Hotel. I have to admit that my initial reaction was not good and I even considered flying to Melb and back to Sydney on the same day.

I'm glad I didn't. Whilst the Miami is no threat to the Sofitel it is a very clean, efficiently run and cost effective place to stay. Yes the room was so small that I had to cuddle the cat rather than swing it but hey once I was in bed I had no need for extra room anyway. Importantly the whole place was very clean. I did read one previous review which mentioned baby coackroaches !! Well they never came near my room and I can only assume they have grown up and moved to Europe in the backpacks of one of the many foreign tourists for whom the Miami is an ideal base.

The two receptionists I met were wonderfully friendly and the dinner referral they gave me to the Amiconi Italian restaurant around the corner in Victoria St was spot on and one of the best suburban restaurants I have eaten at for a long while.

All I can say is if like me you find yourself booked into the Miami by your company or you are looking for a clean, cost effective, friendly place to stay in Melbourne then don't be put off by the name give the Miami a go I'm sure like me you'll be more than pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Ascham
Reviewed November 28, 2007

We found the Miami to be ideal for our needs. It's reasonably priced for those travelling on a budget, the room was itself wasn't huge but it was comfortable, it did have a large walk in wardrobe to store all of our belongings, a fridge and a clean and modern bathroom.

The best thing about the hotel though was the staff who were all extremely friendly and helpful, of the four places we stayed in around Australia on our trip they were by far the best.

The location is good, there's a tram that runs past the hotel into the centre or it's an easy walk in that takes 20 - 25 minutes. There's plenty of shops and places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jervis76
Reviewed May 20, 2007

You get what you pay for here. OK, so it's not a place to start your honeymoon, but the rooms are clean and perfectly adequate if you're on a budget.

Cons: I stayed in a standard room and the thermostat was turned on way too high. The room was quite hot so the ceiling fan was left on all night.

Pros: friendly staff. I thought I had left a jumper in my room and the receptionist was only too happy to help find it. She even called me back herself. Alas, no jumper, must have lost it the night before.
I paid $80 for my room, which included bathroom, fridge, TV, tea & coffee making. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We stayed for five days at the Miami Hotel and enjoyed our stay. The walk from Spencer Street Station took about 30 minutes with my father which was a bit frustrating.
We stayed in a Family Room and it was basic but clean. TV's in both rooms. Refrigerator and tea/coffee maker in the room as well. The only downfall was that the bathroom was located at one end of one room so whoever stays in the other room has to walk through to get to the toilet. That wasn't a big deal to us so it was just fine.
The room was serviced everday and everything was replaced daily. I was impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.
The location was just fine. There are resturaunts and cafes within a block of the hotel. Getting into the CBD takes about ten minutes by tram (Catch tram one block from hotel) and is very simple. It is safe and I felt comfortable walking around on the main streets at night by myself. Plus, it is about a five minute walk to the Queen Victoria Markets.
I would definitely recomend this to any budget minded traveler/family.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kammr
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Good place to stay at this price. Although it was slightly out of the city, it was worth the extra walking. Very friendly and helpful staff and welcoming atmosphere. Room was small but facilities were very good. I'd spent the previous night in a hostel in the cbd which was more expensive and awful so I was really relieved to arrive at the Miami and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank d0llybird
Reviewed December 30, 2006

We stayed at the Miami Hotel Melbourne for a week in December 2006 when my husband had meetings in Melbourne. The personal service from all the staff at this family-owned hotel was excellent. The rooms were a little small compared to an American hotel, but that is typical abroad. Our room had a spacious bathroom and walk-in closet, TV, coffee and tea kettle and fridge. Laundy was available, as was internet in the lobby.

It is a little removed from the center of town, which makes it quieter at night. It is an easy trip via the city's tram or about a 20 minute walk to downtown.

What really stood out was the personal service provided by all the staff. It made it a great visit. Especially helpful was one who went over the Great Ocean Road route with us and pointed out things to see.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business