“A Mixed Experience”
Review of The Waiting Room

The Waiting Room
Ranked #557 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Waiting Room is one of Melbourne's most luxurious lobby bars, where old world grace and glamour meets new world contemporary opulence and style. Inspired by the elegance of the 1940s, The Waiting Room bestows not only a classic cocktail and wine list, but also an exquisite small plates menu which has been tailored to tempt and delight any palate. The Waiting Room offers an afternoon tea experience daily. A quintessentially British tradition since the 1800s, afternoon tea was created as a mid-afternoon meal to satisfy hunger created between early lunch and late dinner. Served on a three-tiered silver stand, the tea services include a delectable selection of assorted sandwiches, savouries and sweet things, served with Jing Tea and Vittoria Coffee. Afternoon tea at The Waiting Room is served daily from 12-5pm.
Adelaide, Australia
“A Mixed Experience”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The very best place for coffee - located in the foyer of the Crown Towers. Well priced and during our stay at the Crown we experienced both the very best service at the Waiting Room and also the very worst experience. The quality of the staff really does make an enormous difference!!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank djhm

“Classy ”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Very elegant cocktail bar. Gorgeous ambient feel with awesome cocktail selection and tapas menu.
Perfect if all dressed up and looking for some where nice with out the drunk bogans!

1 Thank Tiogaa
“Don't bother if you are allergic to nuts!!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

High tea should be something special but The Waiting Room was very disappointing. When I booked I explained that one person was allergic to nuts and seeds and they said, "no problem".

When we arrived and reminded them of the allergies, we were abused verbally and said that they never accommodate such an allergy. I told them about the booking and confirmation of accommodating us and they told me that I was liar and would never be told such a story at booking.

The allergic person was offered a salad!!! As if you want salad if you have come for high tea. The manager was rude and pathetic and blaming us totally and not trying to do anything besides a salad.

I was most disappointed at the customer service, especially from such a large corporation. As to accommodating allergies - they should know better!!!

Allergies are very common and many in the hospitality industry are accommodating people, but clearly not CROWN!!!!!!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Beccc
Melbourne, Australia
“Afternoon tease”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Regulars here so today went for my birthday to have high tea. We haven't had to book the high tea before so it was a surprise to learn that you now have to order it in advance. Second big surprise was that there was nothing else on the menu. We ordered a cup of tea each because we'd driven 2hrs to get there and it's a nice place, other tables seemed to be able to get either high tea or small plates of food, we asked again and then discovered that our menu was in complete and that we could have ordered three cakes from the high tea selection but nothing else. We had to ask several times for water and it seems a bit steep to charge for a single cup of tea.

Visited January 2014
“Excellent Service, Delicious Meal”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was concerned about finding gluten free meals in Melbourne and I found myself a perfect lunch meal. I had the pear salad with juicy sweet pomegranate, salad leaves, tomato, avocado, and walnuts with pomegranate dressing. The chef customised my salad by adding grilled chicken breast (I was hungry). It only cost $15 which was such great value. It was a big serving, the service was excellent and the staff were extremely helpful, especially when I had to leave for a flight in 15 mins! They had my meal ready in a flash. It was such a refreshing, fresh, filling meal which surprised my taste buds. The music was nice and the mood was relaxing, comfortable and elegant. Would definitely recommend it.

• Visited September 2013