“Modern European style”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Adelaide, Australia
“Modern European style”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Excellent menu choice and good service will see us return. Seems to manage well with a range of clients from couples to mid-sized groups. Staff knowledge regarding quite broad wine list was commendable.

Visited June 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Service, Average Food, Great Wine”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Came here for a post-Valentine dinner. Arrived 15 minutes early on a Saturday night. Place was relatively small but each table had enough space for private conversation. When hubby booked, he was told we had to leave by 8 pm which was fine. By around 7 pm, we understood why as the place quickly filled up, the staff became really busy as big groups arrived and it was a bit hard to catch the staff's attention. However, we were already finished with our meal by then and just enjoying our tea so we weren't really bothered.

Our wait staff was amazing. Just as I imagined the wait staff to be, very knowledgeable about the specials, very professional, attentive without being overbearing (wished he smiled a bit though) and loved the French accent. His recommendation on the wine was fantastic - I had to get another glass.

Food came quickly which was a surprise. Found the spring vegetable a bit bland though buttery. The deep fried crab meat was alright but not really amazing. The slices of stuffed chicken for the main was good but not something I would rave about, probably because I didn't like the quinoa. Dessert was also good, but not great. I think I had too high expectation of the food. Best French in Australia will always be that restaurant in Sydney which, sadly, last I heard, closed down.

I still give the restaurant 4 stars due to its excellent staff and the wine. Good to visit once and to enjoy the wine but I wouldn't really come here for the food.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Shemivad
Sydney
“Great little find”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Good food, good service, friendly staff. They just knew when to come to the table and when not. Great little location and a very easy walk from where I was staying. Nice park across the road to walk it all off. Only let down was the coffee. Will know better next time.

• Visited January 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“They get everything right”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Great menu, great atmosphere, and perfect service "balance."

Second time here and this visit just as good as last one.

Can not be beaten for authentic French fare and great wines.

• Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Eaten here a few times now and i think Bistro Gitan is fast becoming one of my preferred Melbourne food destinations. The restaurant is small but the fitout is comfortable allowing you to feel relaxed, although I sense weekend dining could be noisy. The evening view into Fawkner Park with floodlit tree's is stunning. A large central bar and a few couches at the rear offer a chic, relaxed, lightly lit area to either have a quiet drink early or to recline to at nights end. Impeccable, efficient, non pompous service is refreshing. The wine list is interesting and the menu selections, of which i've tried many now are excellent. Reasonably priced for this level of quality.

• Visited December 2013