“It's all about the dining experience!”
Review of Bistro Gitan

Bistro Gitan
Reserve with
Bistro Gitan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #220 of 4,023 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“It's all about the dining experience!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

It was our second visit and we ate here as an adult family group of 7. We knew we were in for a great night from the start. The service is fantastic, think of a flavour of French style with Australian attentive friendliness. It took us a long time to decide from the smallish but delectable menu and the patient waiter patiently guided us away from the very few dishes not suitable for the nut free and gluten free diners in our group.
Three of us combined and shared 3 scallops, 3 pork croquettes and a serve of 6 escargot for entree. A great choice! The rare porterhouse was a dream as were the braised shoulder dishes and the risotto. The Pochouse was served dry and was a bit lacklustre, but perhaps we were incorrectly expecting a fish soup dish.
The ambience was fabulous; dark, French and not too noisy as it was a Monday. The night was a great experience for all of us. This is a great restaurant for a special occasion, and if you do not need to count your pennies.

Visited August 2013

Newcastle, Australia
“Very popular restaurant but noisy”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We dined her on a Saturday night with another couple. The restaurant is very noisy due to the number of people in a relatively small space. Our evening got off to a bad start because our booking had not been recorded but the staff were very good and found us a table albeit a bit small. The menu was okay but not comprehensive and the meal I ordered, the steak, was not cooked to the order. It came out rare rather than medium. Otherwise all the meals were good. The staff provided us with a complimentary dessert for the booking mistake. Wine is expensive (I think around $50 for the cheapest wine. We bought a Burgundy for $72 which was good). Overall this is a good restaurant but far too noisy for me. It was difficult to have a conversation. I would have rated higher otherwise

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Paul T
Bendigo, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So Frenchy So Chic”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

What a fantastic French restuarant - not in the heart of Paris but here in Melbourne! So worth it!
The service was fantastic - you feel welcome from the moment you enter- we went on a cold night and our coats were hung up for us on arrival - nice touch!
The menu is not extensive but wonderful traditional French fare - but then there was the daily specials - our waitress was able to tell us all of them and she no doubt did this for all the tables she served - good effort!
Food was sublime - I had chicken chasseur which was served with homemade pasta be - just the best ever - chicken falling off the bone and melt-n-your-mouth!
Just lovely from start to finish and I will be back to try other dishes - I got food order envy watching other plates being served.

Sydney, Australia
“True French”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I recently had the good fortune to visit Melbourne and tried many restaurants. One of which was Bistro Gitan. I believe this is a relatively new restaurant and I must say a great addition to a city which has many many good restaurants. I had snails which were delightful a favourite dish of mine which I don't find in many restaurants and often they are very tough. My companion had a deconstructed prawn cocktail which he declare to be very enjoyable with particularly fresh prawns. My main dish was deboned garfish. Garfish is not often found on restaurant menus and to have it deboned was too good to resist and I was not disappointed a perfect dish simply served with salad.
The decore whilst not over the top is exactly like a french bistro you might find in Paris. On top of all this we had a German waiter who was excellent with great knowledge of the dishes on the menu and not too pushy and although the restaurant was busy he took it all very calmly yet effectively.
The final plus for this restaurant was the bill was at $130 including tip and l glass of wine very reasonable for the quality offered
When in Melbourne I will certainly return to Bistro Gitan.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Yummy yummy yummy”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Out for dinner with friends last night, the atmosphere was warm and friendly, the staff very attentive, the wines divine and the food was totally delicious, probably the best meal out for a long long time - highly highly recommended - we'll be back soon..