“As it says, stay with friends”

Lygon Lodge Carlton
Ranked #117 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have never felt moved to write a review about an experience however my stay at Lygon lodge last week deserves to be heard of.

One night, Bob and Irma the proprietors, invited me to sit with them out the front of their hotel. Before i knew it, Bob's anecdotes had me and everyone in stitches. A man with 100 funny stories. throughout the night, beverages were offered along with some very tasty european entree dishes that Irma had prepared in their kitchen.

I found them to be a down to earth realistic couple, who are running a family business that has a genuine interest in keeping their customers happy. Most hotels have a clinical approach in that there receptionist is overly aware of being politically correct and or only do the minimum required, or is overly enthusiastic which leaves you with a fake kind of impersonal feeling. Bob and Irma are quite the opposite, genuine, straight forward which leaves you with that sense of moral values.

Rooms are freshly painted, carpeted and tiled. new tv, bed, shower. furniture looks new with a little kitchenette. Rooms have electric key swipe tags that you find in modern motels.
Fully enclosed undercover parking area.

Room Tip: simply ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank andy_Jay_12

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have been staying at the Lygon Lodge on a regular basis for a good many years when I have reason to stay overnight in Melbourne for business.
The reason I always rebook is that I appreciate the genuine warmth of a well-run family establishment and also the interactions with other guests who also are regulars.
By the way, the location is excellent, the rooms are always clean and well presented and the staff go out of their way to help.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank bill s
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The most discusting service I have ever recieved in staying in a hotel was the time I spent at the comfort inn lygon lodge , lygon St Carlton. Not only was I lied to about the length of stay, I asked if I could get my room cleaned and I was rudely and racially abused by an old guy behind reception . If you don't want a sour time in Melbourne steer away from this hotel and it's rude abusive staff who should be running a prison and not a hotel!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank biffrvrs
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very clean and comfortable the owners and staff were very helpfull and nothing was a problem . It's in a very good position and we will be staying there again.This motel looks like it has been refurbished and we were informed that more work may be done in the future. Right in the middle of Lygon st you have plenty of resteraunts to choose from so you will enjoy your stay.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Winston L
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

In the middle of Lygon restaurants, we decamped here after rejecting our accommodation at 700 Lygon. Warm clean rooms, modern simple style with some homely touches.
Staff were very helpful and went out of they way to assist us.
Will happily stay again as very close to the Uni

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Bevfid
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great location everything at the door step. Very comfortable room and we had a great nights sleep. Staff and management very friendly and helpful. Would recommend to all our friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
3  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here for 1 Saturday night The Owner and staff could not have been more friendlier We even sat out front with Bob (the owner) and had a glass of red while watching the world go by. Our room was very clean with a small kitchenette (which was not used) nicely sized bathroom and new carpet and furniture Room rates were really reasonable considering the location and as previous travellers have stated parking was free which is a bonus as some motels charge exorbitant prices just to park your car. We had a very good night sleep did not hear any noise at all apart from the cleaner the next morning just before we checked out I would certainly stay again and definitely recommend to anyone who wants a clean reasonably priced Motel in a fantastic location

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple