“Over-amplified dreck”

Book In Advance
More Info
$54.29*
and up
Melbourne City Sights Morning Tour with Optional...
Ranked #30 of 454 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: The landmark Regent Theatre holds a key part in our city’s history since opening as a grand picture palace in 1929. Having survived a fire, a flood, 20 years in darkness and many threats of demolition, the venue reopened in August 1996, meticulously refurbished and returned to its breathtaking former glory.Today it stands more lavish and grand than ever and continues to host some of the world’s most renowned theatre productions.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Over-produced, incoherent story and lyrics, highly amplified sound design (to the point of pain in our eardrums), bad lighting design, completely forgettable songs, and a poorly conceived script. It's on my "Top 5 Worst Musicals" I've ever seen.

4  Thank RWalker415
All reviews
"my fair lady"
in 34 reviews
"dress circle"
in 32 reviews
"lion king"
in 24 reviews
"priscilla queen of the desert"
in 8 reviews
in 41 reviews
"interval"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I took my 10 year old son to see King Kong today. We were blown away and thoroughly recommend to anyone and everyone of any age. No one could be unimpressed with the special effects. There were so many favourite scenes and unbelievable visual surprises. Heaps of OMG moments. I have to admit that KK has set a new benchmark for us in terms of 'kid friendly' theatre....I'm not sure that any future shows will come anywhere near KK in terms of the wow factor! WOW!! Congratulations to all involved in the production of such a superb show!! Loved it !!

1  Thank jolovesmail
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This review is personal opinion only, of course, and no disrespect intended.
King Kong puppet is amazing!
Lots of great effects!
Maybe a bit more story and character development would have helped with continuity and attachment.
I am usually the one with the tears flowing but we didn't really feel the love.
Nevertheless, it was an amazing experience and you can't help but be impressed with the skills required to operate Kong.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Having pre-booked the show 6 months in advance to get good stall seats we thought we were onto a winner. We read the lukewarm reviews on opening, but thought go with an open mind.
We have seen many theatre productions and travelling shows which have been amazing.....unfortunately King Kong does not fit into that category.
The sets are amazing, if you can see them....we were 4 rows back from front on right hand side. We could appreciate the effort in set production but couldn't see half of it...the lights were probably much better in the dress circle. The storyline canters through easily enough, but the music is definitely left field and doesn't warm you to any if the characters. Once Kong comes into the picture, he is great to look at and it is fab how they have created him, But, he has to have something to work with. Overall, we saw people leave after the first act, not one person stood at the end....applause was mooted.
Sorry spend your money elsewhere..

See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I took my 6 year old grand daughter and my daughter in law to see King Kong. We were blown away it was awesome. The skill and puppetry was unforgettable. You would swear the gorilla was alive even when he comes to the edge of the stage, his eyes sparkle and the facial expressions left you wondering. There were tears at the end the show when the gorilla fell, it was so meaningful and so believable and true to the original film. I did have to explain a couple of scenes at the end to the younger viewers. The dancers and singers were wonderful. One of the things to look for at further amazement was the snake scene. I would go to the show time and time again and I would love it just as much every time. It's a must see, highly recommended. The theatre itself is beautiful in architectural splendour.

2  Thank Jargan