“Good Pub Poor Phone Reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mitre Tavern

The Mitre Tavern
Ranked #29 of 191 Nightlife in Melbourne
Hallett Cove
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Good Pub Poor Phone Reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Poor phone reception means the boss can not track you down on your business lunch (tee hee). But seriously this place is great. It is packed to the rafters most lunchtimes and overflowing, al-fresco style with shades and heaters to warm you whilst drinking your ice-cold beer.. The eatery is great with an excellent choice of mix and match, e.g., soups, mains, spring-rolls, seafood, steaks, snacks and specials so that everyone is happy with the food and at the price you want to pay.
The bars have about twenty beers/ciders/stouts on-tap and an even larger selection of bottles and cans and the house wines are great and at family prices. Despite its popularity the service is remarkably quick and good.
Excellent pub to have a beer on the run to the train or to mix with several of your workmates for a session (responsible drinking, of course) and is a good meeting place as one of the original hotels in Melbourne. Try it you will like it.....Cheers

Visited May 2014

Melton, Australia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A Great Meeting and Dining Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

The atmosphere at this Pub is just great, it looks like a turn of the 20th century Pub, the meals are suburb and the service excellent. Loved the outside dining area it was full of people all enjoying a get together and good dining experience.

Visited July 2013
Altrincham
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Meal at the Marvellous Mitre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Mitre is reputed to be the oldest building in Melbourne and that means something in this Australian city which oozes history and style. For a UK visitor entering the Mitre seems very familiar - reminiscent of an upmarket old English country pub. There is a large bar area and a bistro downstairs and the restaurant is located up a flight of stairs on the first floor. The dining room is nicely laid out. The tables are not crammed together which gives a nice balance of space and ambience. We had visited the restaurant that afternoon to book a table for the evening - it was a Monday so we probably didn't need to but the helpful Maître d' ensured we would get the table of our choice when we returned (corner banquette with a view of the kitchen).
The temperature had been 40+ degrees the previous day and now it started to spit with cold rain as we walked to the restaurant from our hotel - the Melbourne citizens say you get 4 seasons in one day here and it seems to be the case now. We ordered some drinks at the bar downstairs first, just to sample the atmosphere before proceeding upstairs. We were expecting to find an empty Monday night restaurant so were pleasantly surprised to see that many of the tables were filled (the M'd' had said he expected a number of walk-ins) giving a gentle buzz to the room. We were shown to the table we had picked and given menus (I had looked on line earlier so knew what I was going to order). This restaurant is in the main for serious meat eaters and I'm only an occasional meat eater but tonight was one of my occasions. I was going to start with the oysters, of which there are a few decisions to make but I was saved the problem as being Monday they were not available. Steaks come in different weights up to 450g. You can have eye fillet, scotch fillet, rump, porterhouse, rib eye and you can choose from grass or grain fed and even Wagyu beef - a section of the menu explains things clearly. We both ordered premium black angus eye fillet (200g) with sides of hand cut fries and garden salad. Needless to say the steaks were cooked to personal perfection, with excellent flavour and texture. We tried glasses of Yarra Valley Merlot and Barossa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, again excellent. There was no room for desserts or coffee as the portions are generous here.

The staff here provide the type of service I like - attentive, knowledgeable and discreet - full marks.

The bill came to around AU$ 130 for two mains and drinks - which, considering the quality, was worth every penny (cent).

I would come again without hesitation and would recommend you give it a try when you are next in Melbourne.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Vic G
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Oldest pub in Melbourne serves up the best steaks and truffle trips in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so ever since I've been in Melbourne I've eaten at numerous new steak houses, which pop up all over the city... But that's what I was doing wrong: rather than a new establishment I should have gone to the oldest! Cause I've now found the best steak in Melbourne at The Mitre (the oldest pub in Melbourne) and I'm more than satisfied - makes sense really: they've been doing it for so long no wonder it's amazing!

Ok so don't let the Coronation ST pub downstairs put you off: head straight to the spacious and well adorned Bistro upstairs... It really is a surprise!

The butler 400g steak cooked to med rare is served perfectly, accompanied by the truffle chips and one of the sexiest well priced wine lists ... I can't recommend this little slice of meaty heaven enough! All I can say is: just get there!

If you don't fancy a steak then there's a tonne of other great options: grilled calamari, gnocchi..., which truly does distinguish The Mitre from the other carnivorous restaurants popping up all over the place (that limit themselves to just steak and in doing so alienate half the diners at every table).

Everything's a specialty at The Mitre. Looking forward to getting back there!

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Kt-been-and-did
Melbourne, Australia
848 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4,107 helpful votes
“Quaint but fit for purpose”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

This tiny pub is a little piece of early Melbourne history among far larger built forms.

The staff are friendly, and a reasonable number of after-work imbibers usually attend on Friday nights.

However on my last visit during the Australian Rules (local football) season, the crowd was a bit rowdy. This wasn't what I had observed on previous visits so visitots need not be overly concerned.

1 Thank Victorianlad