“Strictly budget accomodation - on a noisy main road” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Saville

Hotel Saville
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne
Hotel Saville
Ranked #154 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Strictly budget accomodation - on a noisy main road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

Hotel Saville is a small, budget hotel and nothing more. With room costs of over $100 a night, it is not particularly good value, either. When I entered the hotel, the young lady at the front desk had her headphones on, listening to music on her laptop. This didn't strike me as particularly professional, although she was friendly and helpful.
The location is both a plus and a minus. While close to nearby Chapel Street, it is quite noisy, being located right on Commercial Road. To be fair, my room was on the 4th floor, and facing Commercial Road. The noise seems to mostly enter through the small opening bathroom window. If I had to go here again, I would request a room facing the opposite direction (away from Commercial Road), and as high as possible, although I cannot guarantee how much better this would be. The rooms themselves are clean and appear to have been renovated, at least with a new coat of paint. The bathrooms are small (triangular shaped) but adequate. There is free parking, but it is outdoors and not secure. To be fair, this is also the case with most motels, although this one happens to be in a high vehicle theft area, so I feel it should offer at least some protection. There isn't really much to recommend about the Hotel Saville. There is better value to be had elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank MarkGreenburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

Booked an overnight stay when I went to Melbourne to see a show. Saville rooms are well maintained considering the age of the building.
The staff could not do enough to make my stay enjoyable, and the buffet breakfast was extremely generous.
Proximity to the city and surrounding attractions is ideal, and the tram stops just outside the hotel.
The Saville Hotel South Yarra is my hotel of choice when staying in Melbourne, and it is the hotel of choice for my employer as well.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank wanda-dparke
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2005

I only rate this hotel as above average in comparison to 5 start hotels - it was excellent. As a hotel in this price range ~$120 per night ($155 AUS) it was fantastic - the room was clean and spacious, with a living room and clean kitchen. It's location is great - near the shopping areas and a 10 block walk down to the water. Because we took an overnight flight and arrived at the hotel at 8am, they made an effort to get a room clean for us earlier than the standard check-in time, which you can imagine we appreciated. The staff and the front desk were extremely helpful both with giving us maps and instructions of where to go in and out of the city, as well as helping us coordinate a rental car.

4 Thank brcor8
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

They advertise as a boutique hotel. I found it much more than that. It is smallish... 30 or so rooms, but perfectly located to all amenities that Melbourne offers. Everything is quite literally only minutes from the Hotel. The CBD is about 10 minutes, beach is about the same, the best shopping strip in Australia, in my opinion, (Chapel Street) is only a couple of minutes walk away and the place is surrounded by hundreds of cafes, bars and restaurants, rating from average to excellent. Public transport runs past the door (tram) and bus and rail services are adjacent.
I have certain mobility issues (I rely on crutches to get around) and access at the hotel was excellent and very easy. The staff (I was there for just over a week, so I got to meet all of them) were so extremely helpful. Nothing was too much effort for them, even when I made some requests during very busy times. Their knowledge of tourism options, and the suggestions they made to me were excellent, well informed and experienced. The majority of staff are younger, (under 40, I'm 74) but at no time was I treated like an old duffer. I was always made to feel welcome and at home.
My room was airy, spacious and very comfortable. The balcony (each room has a private balcony) was lovely... I could stand out there in the morning having coffee and survey the uninterrupted views across Melbourne and the surroundings). The room was beautifully clean. They were renovating whilst I was there, but there was no interruptions or discomfort caused by this. I was in a room that had as yet not been renovated, but was shown a couple of the 'new' rooms. They looked lovely. Wonderful new, warm and inviting colour schemes and they displayed nothing of the usual 'this is a hotel room' look about them at all. The only possible complaint I would have is that they had no dining facilities in the Hotel itself (except for breakfast) but I am told they are renovating the dining room and kitchen, so that won't be a problem in the future. But with the abundance of cafes etc surrounding them there was no difficulty in not having anything in the hotel itself.
The convenience of reception being open 24 hours was great as was the convenience of parking on the hotel site.
I loved my stay there and wished I had been staying there longer.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2005

Stayed at the Saville mid January 2005. Got a good rate on a last minute booking website ($100AUD), considering it's holiday time. The hotel is in a great location without being in the crowds. There's a tram to the city goes past the door and it's right by the corner of Punt Rd. It's walking distance to trendy Chapel Street with restuarants, shops etc. There's a milk bar across the road and also a pubs very close by. Didn't try any of them so can't comment on what they're like.

The staff were friendly, check was quick and simple. Unfortunately the elevator had just broken down so had to walk up fire escape stairs to the second floor. There was a brief "sorry" but no offer of help to carry bags, although with only one I really didn't need the help but still. The room was clean but rather run down. All rooms have a small balcony, reverse cycle air conditioning, coffee making and a bar fridge. There was a catalogue from a restaurant delivery service with good variety.

I'd stay there again but only for the same price or less and if I couldn't find a better alternative. I stay in Melbourne once a week for work and have tried quite a few hotels now. I've found far better for the same price but at this time of year there wasn't much choice for a cheap rate.

6 Thank CheddarHouseAU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Chapel Street
Hotel Sophia
#142 of 157 in Melbourne
Bayview on the Park
#140 of 157 in Melbourne

Been to Hotel Saville? Share your experiences!