“Never again” 3 of 5 bubbles

Quest Gordon Place
Ranked #45 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“Never again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Disappointing, is what this place is. For the price and stars, I expected cleanliness. Bzzzt. Wrong.
My one-bedroom (10) looked very tired and looked like it hadn't been properly cleaned in a while.
I could turn a blind eye to the black stains on the warped carpet, the major scratches/dents on the wall, the grotty grouting in the shower but the cobwebs? There were too many to ignore. Please, for the love of Pete, take to those rooms with some elbow grease and a rag. The place is amazing, the history is doubly so but for the price, I should not be having 'eeeew' moments.
Trust, I do not have high standards, nor am I a clean freak. In fact, after many years of staying in hotels, this is the first time I've ever felt compelled to review...
The bed was amazing though. Comfiest one I've been in for quite some time, in fact. The front desk was very friendly and welcoming too. A refresh in the rooms (or maybe I was just unlucky with number 10?) would improve this place a thousand fold.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LetMeIn78
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Gordon Place, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear LetMeIn78,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with Quest Gordon Place. Unfortunately it appears that we have not lived up to your expectations and for that we apologise. Please be assured that the standard of all of our guest rooms is our highest priority and the points you have mentioned will be looked into immediately. You mention a 'refresh' and happily we are about to begin re-painting in all apartments in the next month which we believe will have a huge impact. It is wonderful to see that you found our staff very friendly and welcoming - I hope you will feel welcome enough to come and stay again in the near future as I am sure we could improve on your previous stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Housed in an old building with a fascinating and sometimes infamous history, this comfortable hotel is superbly located in the middle of the Melbourne CBD. Lots of interesting laneways and restaurants around, and not far to trams or trains. We booked a studio but were upgraded to a huge 2 bedroom apartment, with a kitchen, dining room and large lounge and bathroom. All very comfy, pity we were only there for a night. The pool looked nice but of course it was too cold, the staff were very friendly, and they arrange parking for $20 a day in the car park behind in Lonsdale St. If I wanted to be picky I would say that they could wash the windows more often, they were really dirty, but then there wasn't much to see out of them anyway except a car park. Love the 100 year old palm in the courtyard!

Room Tip: Away from Little Bourke Street, lots of early morning noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelpossums
Dear Travelpossums
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your experience with us at Quest Gordon Place. We agree - our beautiful property does have a fascinating history and character which is completely unique in Melbourne. It is a pity you were only here for one night - so we look forward to welcoming you back again soon and hopefully for a longer stay.
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Quest for 2 nights on one of the "dungeon" rooms on the bottom floor, which are below street level. Actually, despite what some other reviewer said, there is reasonable light if you open the curtain; and you can open the windows if you like, for fresh air. The room was small, but quite adequate for a short stay, with a comfortable double bed. Excellent kitchen facilities were provided. Also iron plus board, which we needed to use.

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel is well located if you want to be within walking distance of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and nearby sporting venues. It also has close access to both up market and cheap eats. What suprised me most was how dirty the public areas were. Not only small bits of rubbish on the floor and in the lift but stone flooring is badly stained as if all manner of drinks and food had been spilt and not cleaned up. Maybe this type of stone can't easily be cleaned but that doesnt explain the rubbish. It certainly gave a very bad first immpression. My room was a reasonable size, it had a small kitchen so it may what the hotel describes as a one bedroom appartment. I am pleased to say the room was a lot cleaner. Lighting in the room and bathroom was rather poor and difficult read by but other than that everything i tried worked. The place has hugh potential, particulrly if you like older buildings with a bit of character so it is a pity it gives the impression of being neglected. I dont think there is any inhouse breakfast service given the sign in the lift suggesting breakfast across the road and i didnt see a bar or any where to eat inhouse although it doesnt purport to be a hotel but rather "apartments". If you can get it at the right price and you want this location its OK.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street this is party territory and noise can be an issue.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Quest Gordon Place is in a fabulous location in the centre of Chinatown close to theatres and shopping. The free tram is a short walk from the door. It has exceptional staff for whom nothing was a problem. They cheerfully replaced room cards when there was a problem, organised internet access and sorted out tricky invoicing for a trip that mixed business and pleasure.
Our 2 bedroom apartment was spacious and comfortable and the pool was a hit with the kids. The up/down stairs might be a problem for less able bodied guests or families with prams but this wasn't an issue for us. There were other rooms that may have been more accessible. The lift doesn't service the rooms on the bottom floor. The hotel has limitations on layout based on the historic nature of the building (which is lovely - if you like that sort of thing as I do).
Organising breakfast in the recommended cafe across the road needed better explanation as you have to get a voucher from Quest before you go (required a dash back to get one). Not far to go fortunately.
In all we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed in this lovely old hotel (recently acquired by Quest), for one night due to an evening at the theatre round the corner. From the moment we arrived until we departed nothing was too much trouble, and all the staff are to be highly commended for their friendly courteous service. The twin bedded apartment was beautifully clean, amply suppled, and very quiet. We were even woken to the sound of the birds singing in the courtyard and certainly no traffic noise whatsoever.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Gordon Place, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear dinkydi26,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Quest Gordon Place. Providing our valued guests with excellent service is always our top priority. I will be sure to forward your wonderful feedback to our team and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was my second business trip to Melbourne and the company put me in the Quest Gordon Place for the three weeks I was going to be there. What a wonderful change from my first trip. My first trip I spent two weeks in a typical hotel room. A place where the bed took up most of the room and all you had for meal preparation was a microwave and kettle.

My three weeks at Gordon Place was one of the best experiences I've had on a business trip. Staying in a beautiful old building (A National Trust Listed building no less) and having a full bedroom, with separate livingroom and kitchen was a dream. Being able to relax in the livingroom while watching TV or reading a book was fantastic. Being able to buy food and have a kitchen to prepare meals in was great also. Not having to go out every meal to find a restaurant to get a meal at was a great plus.

The staff was fantastic and I think they got to know me pretty well after three weeks. Any requests I had were taken care of promptly and with a smile. I must say that it was wonderful to walk in the front door of the hotel after a long day at work and have someone greet me and ask me how my day was.

For those people who complain about the noise. Yes, it does get noisy at times. However, you are in Melbourne in the CBD. People partying is going to happen. The garbage trucks need to get in to do their pickups before the city wakes up. Just like anything else, you just get used to it. It only took me a few days to get used to this noise and be able to sleep through it.

Overall, I enjoyed the location, the room and the friendly staff. I only hope that if I come down to Melbourne again, my company puts me back in Gordon Place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Thunderstick
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Gordon Place, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Thunderstick,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Quest Gordon Place - it is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback and I shall be sure to share this with our team. We hope to see you back at our property again should you return to Australia.