“An Oasis in the City”
Review of Quest Gordon Place

Quest Gordon Place
Ranked #45 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Our first visit to Somerset Gordon was in 2006. We've been back in 2007 and will do so in 2008. It's a rare find to have this place smack bang in the middle of it all. Melbourne in January is a 'tad warm'. The pool is a godsend, as are the air conditioned rooms, with great kitchen and washing facilities. We liked the heritage building, the nice entranceway, and the feeling of spaciousness. Additionally being close enough to the CBD, but then to the great shopping spots in Brunswick and Fitzroy was a plus.

Some things to watch for: The supplies. The second year saw us having a daily battle with toilet paper, washing powder etc - it was very hit and miss. The solution - be more assertive, and on your way back from shopping, simply ask at Reception. Reception is amazingly helpful, maybe they just have trouble connecting with the housekeeping staff. We found the hot water in the showers also a bit of a lucky draw. Not too much of a hassle as it was so hot, a lukewarm shower wasn't a problem. Lastly - watch out for the internet charge. We followed the instructions given and unplugged after use, but were still stung for the 24 hr usage per day it seemed at the end of our visit. It cost us enough to this year consider using internet cafe's - perhaps though a call to the reception on the first go to clarify will also prevent this in the future.

Overall - we will continue to come back - the location is brilliant, even if the pool may be crowded, again, you still will find a spot - and what other place will let you in the middle of the CBD go shopping, do lunch, get an icecream at Trampoline, stroll back and then include an afternoon sunbathe and swim on the agenda before a night in a Melbourne restaurant. The other hotels just don't seem to compare with this light filled spacious feeling gem.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sh0ppingQu33n

Reviewed November 22, 2007

A heritage hotel with very cosy setting and lovely staff; especially like the skybridge linking up parts of the building and glazing down at the turquoise pool. Great restaurants surround the hotel offering plenty of choices for the hungry travellers.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank StanleyChee
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We stayed here for several days in Feb 2007 while on an extended weekend in Melbourne. The location is fantastic, right by the Parliament and down a narrow atmospheric street on the fringe of Chinatown, surrounded by good restaurants within a few minutes' walk.

The building itself is very attractive too, with a cool brick interior courtyard. The living areas in apartment were spacious (the bedroom was smallish though), and a well-provisioned kitchen made it easy to cook up our treats from the markets. Despite the hot weather we didn't find ourselves using the pool, partly because it was quite crowded much of the time. Hotel service was friendly and helpful without being intrusive.

It's about a 15 minute walk from the MCG and 5-15 minutes on foot from most of the shopping and attractions in central Melbourne. It's also handily located to catch trams to most parts of the city.

We would happily stay here again when next in Melbourne.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneD_001
Reviewed July 5, 2007

First thing: the Somerset is in middle of funky weird Chinatown, which is really fun. I arrived late at night but the staff were still super chipper and friendly.

I was impressed straight away that the lass explained that they were placing an authorisation of $100 on my credit card, how this worked, and that they would be happy to send my bank a fax after my stay requesting that the hold be deleted if everything was shipshape. Placing this kind of authorisation is standard practice, but explaining the procedure in this helpful way isn't - I work at a bank and know the havoc that hotels can cause by placing large authorisations without informing customers what they're doing.

Inside, the hotel building surrounds a large covered (and air-conditioned) courtyard with a huge palm tree in the middle and a staircase tower in the middle. It's all beautiful red face brick, holding to the hotel's origins as a Victorian men's house. The courtyard has wicker chairs set out for lounging and classical music playing gently in the background.

My room was small but lovely, with a brilliant widescreen LCD tv and a well-equipped kitchenette. Instead of annoying me with an overpriced minibar, the hotel has a moderately priced room-service kind of deal for basic snacks and drinks, keeping the fridge free for my stuff. The chargeback offer for restaurants (a range of restaurants where you can have your meal charged to your hotel bill with a 10% surcharge) seemed kinda pointless though.

Overall, the staff were gorgeous and super friendly, the room was great, and the architecture made me grin like a kid. For $120 this place is just amazing.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank CowboyBear
Reviewed June 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Somerset Gordon Place for 2 nights. The positive aspects were that even though we only had booked a studio apartment, the kitchen facilities were better than expected and we also had a clothes washer and dryer in the apt, which we hadn't been expecting. There was a Coles grocery store about a ten minute walk away which was convenient.

Unfortunately, there were some negative aspects, which interfered with our enjoyment of this facility. We had emailed a couple questions to the hotel prior to our arrival which went unanswered. My main concern was that the internet booking, although done through the hotel's website, was dealt with by someone in Singapore ( I believe ). I'm not sure if there was a language barrier or not, but I had asked for information for a June booking and received info back about July rates. Therefore, when I made my booking on line, I added a comment indicating that I wanted the hotel to ensure that the booking I was making was for June. My email confirmation did show the June booking. However, when we arrived to the hotel, the room was booked for July instead. This could, obviously, have been a disaster. The next problem was that we had less than five minutes of hot water for our shower, both in the morning and the evening. We did complain but were offered no discount, although the staff indicated that there had been numerous complaints and they were having the problem looked after. We also did not receive any shampoo for our second day and although I called to request this, it was never delivered. As well, the soap dish in the shower was broken.
The staff were all friendly and professional which was appreciated. However, if we ever have the opportunity to return to Melbourne, we will not be staying at this facility again as our.expectations were not met.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Debbie T
Reviewed May 6, 2007

We go to Melbourne for the Australian Open every January and always stay at a 2 bedroom apartment. We chose this complex because of the pool, which turned out to be a smart thing because we had 3 days of 40 plus degrees. However, this was the only positive about this place. I should have realised something was wrong when I did an internet search and found there was a 2 bedroom apartment available. When I rang I was told there was no 2 bedrooms available. When I challenged this I was then told "Oh, we have one but it is like a penthouse and very expensive." I should have trusted my instincts as I thought this was a strange way to sell an apartment. However, I decided to take it because I thought if we are getting the best apartment in the place it must be nice. When we arrived, we couldn't get into the room, which was OK as we were a couple of hours early from check in time (2.00 p.m). I was told that they would contact us on my mobile when the room was free. We then dragged 2 very tired children around Melbourne until about 4.30 p.m. and finally I rang because I thought surely the room would be ready by then. I was told that it had been ready several hours ago but no explanation as to why the phone call that had been promised hadn't been made.

When we finally got to the room, we found that the (plasma) screen TV was not working. When we pointed this out, we were originally told that it had been working perfectly the day before, so we must have been doing something wrong. After a couple of people came to look at it, they finally conceded there was something wrong with it and replaced it with a very small TV. We then discovered that, despite being described as a "serviced apartment" we were given one cake of guest soap and two towels to share between the 4 of us. When we rang reception and asked if we could have some more, it sounded like we were asking for a lot. We could never work out the service roster and were never told what it was. Sometimes we came back to find the room had been serviced, but mostly it was not.

Then the shower didn't work, as there was no pressure. It took 2 days and a plumber to fix that one. Also a lot of the gym equipment was faulty. The room was air-conditioned, but we did not use the air conditioning very much because it was so old and noisy that it kept us awake.

The room itself which demanded $500 during the final's series of the Australian Open was the most un-penthouse like apartment I had seen. It was certainly big. However, because the building is a warehouse conversion, while the ceilings were tall, the windows were at the extremities of the ceiling. Therefore, hardly any light got into the apartment. It was actually in the basement of the building and quite a long walk from the reception area and you needed to negotiate stairs rather than use a lift. Also, despite the exorbitant price, there was only one bathroom. The furnishings were dark and the carpet had large stains all over it. The whole place looked liked it needed a good scrub.

When we left we filled out the comments handout that you are given on check out and provided 2 pages of negative comments. We were told that the most they could offer as a discount at the reception was $50.00 in view of the fact that the shower hadn't worked for half of our stay and the television that we were supposed to have wasn't available. They said they would pass our comments on and if any further discount was warranted we would be contacted. Needless to say, we never were.

I have stayed at other Somerset properties in Australia without complaint and feel that I shouldn't judge the whole group by this experience. But on the other hand, if the group is not troubled about following up what were obvious deficiencies in maintenance and service, I doubt I will ever be going back to a Somerset again.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank DWSydney
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My partner and I had a very nice stay at the Somerset Gordon Place. We stayed in the smallest room which was adapted to our needs as we spent most of our time discovering the city and surroundings. The room was quite tiny but lovely and clean. The hotel situation is good, a few minutes walk from China Town where you can find plenty places to eat.

Despite situated in the city centre we found the hotel really quiet. The staff were helpful and smiling. Definitely a place to stay if you want to spend a few days in Melbourne!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple