Hotel Causeway
$229
$210
  • Pool
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$192
$104
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$173
$157
  • Breakfast included
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
The Westin Melbourne(Melbourne)
$195
$176
Westin.com
  • Pool
Alto Hotel on Bourke(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$95
$148
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$126
$199
$175
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsdavid jonescollins streetbreakfast roomgreat locationlane waysbreakfast was includedgood sizecentral locationyour doorstepstaff were friendly and helpfulenjoyed my staytwin roomcbdcafesgymtransporttheatre
Reviewed February 23, 2007

Arrival
----------
From the airport take the Shuttle service for $15 AUD one way ($24 AUD return). The shuttle tickets can be bought on the footpath near the bus stop outside the terminal and do not expire. They can also be bought online and pre-printed.

Once the shuttle arrives at Spencer Street Station you can transfer at no extra cost to this hotel. Between the hours of 12pm-2pm the setdown is at the main street intersection due to lunchtime traffic restrictions. Pre-book return shuttles with 24 hours notice to be collected from the hotel.

First impressions
-------------------------
Little Collins Street is a very charming old-world street with fashion, quality food and the ambience of being a young and vibrant part of town. Melbourne is very famous in Australia for its shopping and low-rise buildings.

The hotel is almost hidden half-way down a shopping arcade. You follow the signs on the main street to a discretely modern glass door which is the entrance to the hotel.

The hotel is petite in every way and there is no space wasted . At the same time it is sufficiently well equipped to have larger than average rooms and a luxurious gym and deck area on the roof.

Features of the room
-----------------------------
The room I had was on a promotional rate with no extras, yet I still had a free movie channel, complimentary bottled water and free arrival. The decor is simple, clean and functional. The storage is ample and there were tea and mini-bar facilities.

I was impressed by the size of the room and the quality of AC + opening window.The bathroom was larger than most with room to change inside. Everything easily fit in storage with room to spare.

Features of the hotel
-----------------------------
I did not spend any time on the second floor eating area as I tend to take advantage of local services and I did not pay for the breakfast deal. I did go and have a look at the top floor facilities and I thought they were excellent. WiFi services were well priced so long as you remember to log out and save your hours. Some deals included WiFi in the price of the room. It is a high-quality budget price hotel.

Features of the area
------------------------------
Cafes and japanese are dotted all over the lane passages not even 50metres walk away. Just ask the concierge for directions to your style of meal. Eating and shopping in Melbourne is a big part of the cultural enjoyment of daytime and late nights.

Things you must do
--------------------------
- visit the Victorian Art Gallery (2 locations)
- walk Southbank along the river to Casino
- Go shopping on Collins Street
- Try some Haigh Chocolates
- Take a city tour
- Visit Luna Park and eat some serious junk food in that area
- Visit China Town
- Take a walk along Brighton Beach (famous beach)
- Visit The Windsor for famous High Tea on weekends
- Ask for any additional tourist attractions or event information
- explore local cafe and sushi.

Highlights of hotel
---------------------------
- free water, chocolates and apples
- free movies
- hidden location and size of hotel
- room size and comfort
- free gym
- friendly staff
- local eating places

Other
---------------------------
The room was so clean that I could smell the cleaning products but then I can usually detect a scent which most people can not.

In my room the pillows were not so good.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank miroj
Reviewed January 13, 2007

We stayed in a Duplex Room for 7 nights. The Hotel is in a great spot with lovely entrance with helpful and friendly staff. The Duplex Room we had was big, with a nice bathroom with a large jacuzzi - which was a bonus. The Hotel has a nice roof terrace and the Breakfasts are OK too..

The downside for use was the noise from the lift - we mentioned in when we left and they said if was even worse in the room next door - interesting response. We had a loose tile in the bathroom they never fixed all week either too.

But, overall I liked the place, it's in such a great spot and our room was large and the jacuzzi was a treat. Get a room away from the lift shaft though...

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rosler
Reviewed December 26, 2006

We stayed in this hotel in October 2006. It is a great location just off the main shopping street but was not at all noisy. The room was modern and uncluttered and had all of the amenities you'd expect - it was clean and well maintained too. Our stay included a contiental breakfast which was a self service afair with a good selection of the usual paistries, fruit, yogourt, meat, cheese, cereal, juices and tea and coffee. During our stay, building work was being carried out in the lobby but it was kept clean and contained and there was very little disruption. Staff were friendly and helpful too. I'd definatly reccomend this hotel as a great alternative to one of the big global hotels and would stay there again.

Stayed: October 2006
5  Thank AndiePandie
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Hotel Causeway is sure to please those looking for a simple, contemporary and clean hotel in a prime location (smack-dab in the middle of the shopping district, surrounded by boutique shops, street cafés and malls/arcades). The basic room I stayed in came with a robe and complimentary slippers, which I always find is a plus. The duvet was comfortable, the bathroom was great (lots of counter space and an incredibly powerful shower) and I couldn’t hear much noise coming from the hall or outside. I also found the staff to be courteous, knowledgeable and professional upon check-in and with any questions I had. I often wonder if getting breakfast included in the price is worth it – in this case, it is – you’re not going to get a huge variety, but I found the food to be of good quality and freshness. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to travellers, both leisure and business, for it’s comfort, convenience and value.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GlobalEyes
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I chose Hotel Causeway based on the reviews in this website (it was before the last reviews were posted) and I have to concur with everything said there: This is truly a great hotel.

Located in a small quiet street right in the center, it is walking distance to anywhere in the CBD and at the same time very calm and pleasant. Staff is professional, breakfast is good (in a basic kind of way) and the room was pleasant, clean, comfortable and extremely quiet.

The only issue we had was with the bathroom faucet which was incredibly frustrating to use, as can be seen in the other guy's review pictures. Other then that we found this hotel to be very close to perfect and I have no doubt we will return next time we're in Melbourne.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple