“Not a 4.5 Star Hotel”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #68 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed November 17, 2009

After booking a 2 night stay because of it's "multi million dollar refurb", i was very dissapointed to find out that it ONLY APPLIED TO CERTAIN FLOORS. Unfortunately that didn't include my room, which was very small. Although it was clean, it was bearable and better than the awful reviews on this website. Make sure you get a refurbed room BEFORE you book. Hotel in a good location, but I reckon the Travelodge at Southbank is much better value.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank CoolumCat
Write a ReviewReviews (5,259)

Reviewed November 11, 2009

Location is great, right in the heart of town, but that is about all that is great. Everything else is pretty poor. Not the best service, breakfast was very average, room was old and very run down. So were the hall ways to the room, looked extremely run down. I would not reccommend here if you have somewhere else to stay, if its location, this hotel is located on Flinders st near the station so like I said great location, but that is about all.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Dr_Jerro
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Location
In Melbourne CBD, but only just. Southern edge in Flinders St close to the station and tram stops, and not far from Federation Square and Southbank.

Arrival
Grand old building facade. Narrow covered driveway area for four cars. Relatively new check-in foyer. We arrived early after 30 hours in the air and airports. Very grateful to be given a room almost immediately. Check-in was fast and no problems. We did not need to use porters as it was smooth rolling all the way to the room. (One elevator goes down to street level.) We discovered later that the superb, original vestibule has been preserved.

The room
Our room was on the seventh floor at the side, so had some city views. Top rooms at the front have good views across the river to Southbank but probably have some train and tram noise.
The Good
The room itself is of average CBD size with single beds pushed together. Muted decor with a couple of small prints on the walls. Furniture consisting of the main cabinet with TV, fridge, mini-bar and coffee/tea making kit. (The TV has some Foxtel cable channels and other video services).
In addition to this we had a mid-sized office desk and chair, and bed-side tables. Built-in wardrobe, some shelves, a safe, and iron and board. All pretty standard.
The beds are firm and springy but OK.
Internet access via cable, (not free). WiFi is in public areas. The A/C is very effective and quiet but switches off when you remove your key card. The usual clock radio. Room service. Free newspaper (delivered each morning from a choice of four).
Main light can be switched on/off from the bed.
Noise at night is very low; just occasional 'clunks' from nearby closing doors.
The bathroom is OK size for one person at a time. Shower over bath. There is also a clothes line over the bath.

The Bad
Lighting: No overhead reading lights. No dimmers.
The TV is a small ancient analog CRT type, (so no digital channels), somewhat out of adjustment and it's a bit fuzzy. It's also a long way from the end of the bed and too low. There's no TV guide except for Foxtel Sports.
Only one folding rack was provided for bags.
No dining table and chairs for room service meals.
The bathroom has minimal towel rails (not enough for two large damp towels), one clothes hook and no safety grab-rail for the bath/shower. Curved narrow bath floor makes a safety mat (provided) necessary. The bench-top is very small and too low. There are no other shelves or cupboards. Very country motel standard.

General faciities.
Breakfast was not included, but is available.
We did not get to try the hotel restaurants (The Grill and Yar). There is a very plush bar/lounge above the old vestibule.
(For a nearby cheap breakfast (and lunch), try the Buffet Brasserie in the University Arcade just a few doors down Flinders St (head east) (Mon. to Fri. only). For a lot more choice (all day and evening) keep going another block to Degraves St and also Central Place for a score of mini-restaurants that have interesting food but hard-seated outdoor furniture.)

The Rendezvous also has a gym and Business Centre. Function rooms including the "Ball room". Valet parking costs $30 per day.

Overall: Not a place to stay for more than a night or two. If the rooms are all like ours, they are not up to the standard of the public areas. Probably fine for business overnight stays. As it seems be full most nights, you might not be able to negotiate a more reasonable room price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Upon arrival we were told we had to hand over the credit card for $100 per night to be held on the card. They make no mention of this when booking. The rooms are very small and the bathroom is a shoebox. The shower also leaks all over the bathroom. On our second day there the room wasn't serviced so we had to specifically ask for this. When it was eventually serviced they didn't clean up the tea cups, nor did they wipe the bathroom down. I have no idea how this hotel is considered 4 star. The only thing going for it is the location.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 29, 2009

When i checked in i was informed that a bond of 100 aus dollars per night would be charged to my credit card which meant that in my case as i was staying for 7 nights this would cost me 700 dollars. when i asked what this bond meant i was informed that 700 dollars would be frozen on my credit card for the duration of my stay at the hotel.
So if you have not got a credit card or have used most of your credit limt on your card you could find yourself in a bit of a problem if your staying here.

When I spoke to the travel agent i that booked the hotel with they said they were unaware this.

As for the hotel itself the rooms are quite small and on a number of times when i came back to my room late afternoon my room had not yet benn cleaned. So i had to hang around the lobby waiting for the maid to clean the room.

I cant speak about the resturant has i did not use it or room service. The bar was quite nice and the staff were polite.

As for the location i would say that this is the best thing about the hotel, right next to flinders street station, trams virtually stop outside hotel and the southgate shopping centre and crown casino are across the yarra river, if your room is at the front of the hotel you will be able to see them.

But if i was to return to melbourne i will give this hotel a miss.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I stayed at the Rendezvous Melbourne in July 2009. While the room was nice and the service was good, their complaint resolution was atrocious. The bathroom lights are motion sensitive and were not working properly. They would not turn on when I entered and not turn off when I exited. What’s worse is that the lights turned off when I was in the shower THREE times. I had to sleep with the bathroom door closed. I complained about this five days in a row. All five days I was told it was fixed. It never was. I ended up changing hotels. [The Best Western Atlantis’ new wing had just opened. The rooms were nearly identical in design and appearance to the Rendezvous and the service was unsurpassed. When the wireless internet wasn’t working properly, they upgraded my room to one with a city view (beautiful) and a wired internet connection, comped the internet and did my laundry for free. Excellent experience and less expensive too.]
The night before I left the Rendezvous, the staff apologized for the problems and assured me my bill would be adjusted. The next morning at checkout, the manager on duty informed me that because my room was booked through a third party (Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, etc), they would not provide any refund. After more complaining, the manager relented and gave me his word I would be compensated within 4-6 weeks. Six weeks later? Nothing. I called the corporate office twice before I received a return call. The Vice President of Operations, Geoff Johnstone, listened to my concern and offered to refund one night’s stay ($170 USD) immediately. The Melbourne Manager, Paul Koenig, was to handle the particulars. I sent him my account information. A week passed and I contacted him explaining that I had not received anything. He assured me he would look into it. Days later still no refund and the same response from Mr. Koenig. I explained I was more interested in as estimated time of resolution and an explanation for the delay than I was an assurance he would follow up. I received no response. I then contacted the corporate office and left four messages over seven days for Mr. Johnstone. Never once did I receive a return call. Finally, I asked for Mr. Johnstone’s email address, confirmed it three times and when I wrote, my letter was returned undeliverable. I called the Melbourne office, asked for Mr. Johnstones email address and wrote him a letter. Only then did I receive a response. He copied me on his instructions to an associate that I be refunded $170 and that the funds be in US currency. The associate responded that he had only received the instructions to send my refund five days earlier but that he would process it immediately. He asked me for additional account information and sent a refund…in the wrong amount. When I brought this to Mr. Johnstone’s attention and asked for the remainder, he responded with the following: “we have gone over and above to satisfy your needs and I think we have been more than fair given the original issues, I now consider this matter closed.” I agreed. I told him I would never be doing business with Rendezvous again and I would tell my friends (including those at TripAdvisor) why.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Sirvice
Reviewed October 15, 2009

The room was a shoe box, but it was clean and the bed was comfy. We only stayed one night, when we travel we only use the hotel for sleeping anyhow so it was fine. We had room 528 which had a very small balcony but we were able to get some great night shots of flinders street station. Good location, close to everything, but trains noisy.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple