“Comfortable and clean, good location but probably wouldn't stay here again”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #67 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 15, 2009

The hotel is located opposite the Flinders street Station and it was easy to find your way to all the cafes alley ways and main attractions in Melbourne. Upon arrival i was unable to check in as my colleague had booked and i was not on the booking. They gave me 1 hour free internet to get her details and to keep me occupied until 2pm (checkin time)The internet is not usually free, which i thought was odd for a 4 1/2 star hotel but since they didn't charge me i was happy.

We got upgraded to a commerce suite (615) it was in a refurbished area. Make sure you ask for a room on the quiet side as this is how i got a quiet new room while my colleague got an older room that backed onto the noisy street. It appears that the hotel is split into 2 areas, the newer and the older, this is obvious as they are carpeted differently. You will be walking up the hallway and the carpet changes from new brown carpet to a red patterned older carpet.

The rooms were small as everyone on here has said and the bathrooms in the newer suites make good use of the small area (even if the basin is a bit cramped and you feel like the toilet is half in the shower)

The reception staff were ok, a bit grumpy and they made a mistake when trying to release my bond on checkout. Make sure you ask them to release the bond asap or it may take a while to get your money back.

The concierge was especially helpful and was very polite. There was no one around when i arrived to take my bags or anything like that so fairly basic as far as service goes.

All in all not bad for a work trip, but i definitely wouldn't stay there for pleasure. it is not really worth the price. I am just glad we got a wotif deal or it would have been very overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Buddenz
There are newer reviews for Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne

Reviewed September 14, 2009

The hotel is housed in a lovely old classical 1900's period building which has attractive stained glass windows and elaborate ornate ceilings. The hotel is located in a beautiful position directly across the road from Flinders Station and the footpath across the Yarra River to South bank. Its also a quick 2 minute walk into Bourke Street shopping Mall.

We had booked this hotel months before arriving through Expedia.com and received a brilliant rate for a spacious suite. My hubby was attending a conference so we searched for a good rate regarding obtaining the suite.

Check-in. – Everything went accordingly to plan and the staff very helpful and willing to assist us, especially since we had a car plus trailer which was needed for a trade show.

Room – Our suite 734 was spacious with a large hallway opening up to a reasonable size lounge room with sofa, chairs and coffee table. There was also a TV, mini bar , tea, coffee facilities, free Internet and working desk . The only negative point was the room was dark through the day.

The separate bedroom was again spacious with a lovely comfortable king size bed , chester draw with a large plasma TV on top. Off the bedroom was a good size walk-in wardrobe and huge bathroom with a walk-in shower (no bath) two vanity units with excellent make-up mirrors.

We dined in the Grill Bar twice and the meals were lovely especially the noodle section. The breakfast was okay too but the service was incredibly slow in the evenings and also at brekkie.

The bar on level One was great at "Happy Hour" when the drinks were reduced. It was a lovely place to unwind before heading out for the evening. Happy Hour opens from Monday to Friday between 5:30pm - 6:30pm.

Staff : We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful especially the maids who always made sure our room was tidied and done before our return.

Overall : We stayed at the hotel for 7 days and had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay. I highly recommend getting the suite as the other rooms looked rather small. The hotel being close to the railway station attracts a seedy element but its still safe. Plenty of supermarkets, grog shops etc can be located a few doors down from the hotel. The best thing about this hotel is the position.

As a frequent visitor to Melbourne we probably would not stay again as we prefer others but regardless we still enjoyed our stay as it represented excellent value for money. Perfect for those looking for a good, clean well located hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Ellemay
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Unfortunately our business has a contract with the rendezvous when employees visit Melbourne. Fortunately the contract has come up for renewal and we are switching hotels. The one thing this hotel has going for it is the location but this can be a curse at 4am and your room faces Flinders station. The hotel itself is old and this shows in the tiny rooms -with little or no view-which have wooden floorboards under the carpet so plenty of noise when someone walks outside your room along the coridor. Over the years my company has stayed here there have been complaints of rude staff, bed bugs, theft, dirty rooms and charging for goods not used or being charged twice. All I can say is that thank god I never had to use my hard erned cash to pay for a room.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank tracenjimmy
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We stayed here, quite frankly, only because we got a cheap deal. We would choose to stay here again. Simply perfect location: easy walking distance to all of Melbourne CBD, across the road from Flinders St Station, the primary train station in Melbourne, tram stop outside the hotel servicing routes to all popular destinations (well, we "did" Melbourne and never needed to catch a tram from elsewhere) and 5 minutes walk across the river to Southbank. We stayed in a Commerce room that was newly refurbished and very nice. Glad we had read reviews about the room size. Rooms are very small, but the most is made of the space and there was enough room for our 5 day stay when the only time we were in our room was to sleep and shower. This hotel has PROPER HAIRDRYERS. I have stayed in MANY 4 and 5 star hotels and this hotel was simply the best. The hairdryer was so good I noted the model for when I next replace my hairdryer at home. Front desk and concierge very helpful and knowledgeable. The concierge put us onto an excellent local laneway full of cafes for breakfast.

1  Thank nzcowlady
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I booked a 'Rendezvous getaway' package here when we were attending a function at the Crown Casino. Package included sparkling wine, valet parking, buffet breakfast - all for $190. About a week before arriving we called and asked for an upgrade to a commerce room, and that was $30 more (we took it). But when we arrived we actually received a complimentary upgrade! Nice little surprise. That overall package was excellent - car parking alone for a night is $30 (at least) in the city...

As everyone on this forum have said the rooms are small. But the commerce room is quite well designed for a small room so that is a minor complaint. We got frustrated with the automatic light in the bathroom (enjoying a peaceful shower or simply a 'time out' meant that the bathroom light would go off and you would be left in pitch black until you moved enough to set off the sensor). Beds were comfy.

Hotel desk staff were indifferent. They were there to do a job, and that was about it. Valet's and room cleaners were very nice though! Breakfast was mayhem - there weren't enough seats for the number of people who were arriving (probably short lived - only in 'peak' time). And the buffet was adequate, but certainly nothing to write home about (just write about on tripadvisor).

Overall - I would recommend this hotel based on the convenience of the place, and it is a reasonable hotel for the price. We enjoyed our night. If you have 'money to burn' then go to the Crown or perhaps the Rialto.

1  Thank btboz
Reviewed August 7, 2009

The room: I booked a Club Executive, and I got a club executive in the 2nd floor with now view, the stain glass window does not see thru nor open. I went back to front desk, and I was moved to fourth floor, and room still in the back with stain glass mirror with no view. Unable to tell a good day or not. room is average, the office desk does not face the TV, so I can not utilize the desk well. Bed is comfortable, and the ceiling is high. I did slept well.
Bathroom is clean, but some tiles can use a good scrub. The gym is small, hard to work out. The lobby is clean, they have an area where the Singaporean Crew get treated better then us. Maybe they got the better room!!

The area is busy, next to the train station, and easy to get around. The city tram is free, but only used it once.
People are friendly, but I did not used them much.
An Average hotel, not sparks for the price. I would try another hotel next time...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tenichi
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My husband and I decided to go to Melbourne on a spur of the moment decision for a weekend away and to go to the footy. I had alot of trouble finding accommodation at the last minute so ended up booking the Rendezvous through Qantas holidays.
After reading alot of Tripadvisor reviews I wasn't really expecting much so was quite surprised at what a lovely stay we had there!!
We stayed 2 nights in a one bedroom Suite on the 8th floor and it was absolutely beautiful. The Suite was spacious and spotless. There was a large lounge area as you walked in with a writing desk, a 3 seater lounge, large coffee table and an armchair. A big flat screen TV, a mini bar, coffee expresso machine and tea making facilities.
Through the lounge area was the roomy bedroom with a huge comfy king size bed, large flat screen TV and another arm chair. There was a walk in wardrobe with plenty of space for everything, an electronic safe in one of the drawers, ironing board and iron and plenty of room for the suitcases.
The bathroom had double vanities and a large shower. Lots of clean fluffy towels and a hairdryer. Plus all the usual complimentary toiletries.
All the furniture and fittings in the entire suite looked just about brand new and were in immaculate condition.
The only fault with the suite was there wasn't any view from the windows other than the building next door, but because everything else was perfect it didn't really matter.
The reception staff were always happy and helpful. We had arrived at 11am so our room wasn't ready but staff stored our luggage while we went and had lunch. Just a quick walk under Flinders St, Station and we were at Southbank with heaps of restaurants to choose from.
When we returned to the Hotel around 1pm our room was ready and our bags already up there.
We had a delicious dinner in the Grill Restaurant on Saturday night and could not fault the food, wine or service.
The Hotels location is fantastic....walking distance to great shops, the Casino, and sporting venues. The free city circle tram stops just about on the door step and there was always a taxi waiting out the front.
We had a wonderful weekend and loved our suite at the Rendezvous Hotel.

1  Thank Juzshmee