“My 2 cents”

Ranked #68 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
san francisco
“My 2 cents”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

The room: I booked a Club Executive, and I got a club executive in the 2nd floor with now view, the stain glass window does not see thru nor open. I went back to front desk, and I was moved to fourth floor, and room still in the back with stain glass mirror with no view. Unable to tell a good day or not. room is average, the office desk does not face the TV, so I can not utilize the desk well. Bed is comfortable, and the ceiling is high. I did slept well.
Bathroom is clean, but some tiles can use a good scrub. The gym is small, hard to work out. The lobby is clean, they have an area where the Singaporean Crew get treated better then us. Maybe they got the better room!!

The area is busy, next to the train station, and easy to get around. The city tram is free, but only used it once.
People are friendly, but I did not used them much.
An Average hotel, not sparks for the price. I would try another hotel next time...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tenichi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canberra
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My husband and I decided to go to Melbourne on a spur of the moment decision for a weekend away and to go to the footy. I had alot of trouble finding accommodation at the last minute so ended up booking the Rendezvous through Qantas holidays.
After reading alot of Tripadvisor reviews I wasn't really expecting much so was quite surprised at what a lovely stay we had there!!
We stayed 2 nights in a one bedroom Suite on the 8th floor and it was absolutely beautiful. The Suite was spacious and spotless. There was a large lounge area as you walked in with a writing desk, a 3 seater lounge, large coffee table and an armchair. A big flat screen TV, a mini bar, coffee expresso machine and tea making facilities.
Through the lounge area was the roomy bedroom with a huge comfy king size bed, large flat screen TV and another arm chair. There was a walk in wardrobe with plenty of space for everything, an electronic safe in one of the drawers, ironing board and iron and plenty of room for the suitcases.
The bathroom had double vanities and a large shower. Lots of clean fluffy towels and a hairdryer. Plus all the usual complimentary toiletries.
All the furniture and fittings in the entire suite looked just about brand new and were in immaculate condition.
The only fault with the suite was there wasn't any view from the windows other than the building next door, but because everything else was perfect it didn't really matter.
The reception staff were always happy and helpful. We had arrived at 11am so our room wasn't ready but staff stored our luggage while we went and had lunch. Just a quick walk under Flinders St, Station and we were at Southbank with heaps of restaurants to choose from.
When we returned to the Hotel around 1pm our room was ready and our bags already up there.
We had a delicious dinner in the Grill Restaurant on Saturday night and could not fault the food, wine or service.
The Hotels location is fantastic....walking distance to great shops, the Casino, and sporting venues. The free city circle tram stops just about on the door step and there was always a taxi waiting out the front.
We had a wonderful weekend and loved our suite at the Rendezvous Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juzshmee
St. Petersburg
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Pros:
The room was nice and tidy. Housekeeping staff is doing a good job.
Amazingly comfortable bed!!!
Nicely arranged furniture.
I really liked the design of rooms.

Cons:
Front Office clerks were not friendly at all
Hotel is non-smoking, every morning there were a line of people in front of it smoking (mostly flight attendants), but that is probably an all-Australian thing.
Prices for internet in rooms were not reasonable.

Generally, if you are looking for a place to stay during your business trip - this is the ideal place for you (there's nothing more pleasant than sleeping in that bed after a long day at work). If you want to have a fancy vacation and hotel to write home about - there are plenty of other options in Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Wellington
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Great location in Flinders Street however my "Stimulus Package" must have been named so I could stimulate my imagination of how the room could be renovated. Old, stained carpet with a bad attempt at painting one wall and hanging a spread to be a feature headboard. Bathroom from the 1950's - obviously a man had stayed prior to me - hair up the bathroom tiles and in the bath.

Front desk staff very pleasant on arrival but early morning receptionist couldn't even say "good bye", "have a nice day" or express a "thanks for staying with us".

They charge a credit card usage fee for any incidentals so make sure you have cash. You can check your account via the TV service but for the 4 nights I stayed there it had the name of the previous occupant - which supported my theory that the previous guest was a man!

I've traveled all over the world and regularly stay in hotels but would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank RoverReturns
Perth
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed for a week on business. Room size was ok but no view expect for a bed in a room to the right of my room!!! Bathroom was so tiny I had to put the towels on the toilet when I had a shower. Weird shower too! Breakfast was ok but way overpriced but that is Australian hotels for you.
Location was very dodgy wouldnt want to walk by myself there at night time.
Melbourne itself is just fantastic. Great food, attractions, lanes, streets.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
auckland
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I booked this hotel as part of an Air New Zealand package, I think it was about $700 for four nights plus return air fares from Auckland.

First of all, the location is great. It's right across the street from Flinders Station and the free City Circle Tram that goes around the city, as well as other pay-per-use trams. It's also a quick walk away from shopping, restaurant, a grocery store and a 7/11.

My first impression of the hotel was impressive. The reception area and atrium give a good impression of the hotel. The building is obviously quite old, which you can see touches of in its decor, yet people have obviously put alot of money into upkeeping it.

We arrived at about lunch-time but were told our room wouldn't be available until 2. Mum and I were kind of tired and wanted a rest but couldn't do much about it, 2pm check-in is fairly standard. Instead, the hotel took our luggage for us and the man at the desk pointed us in the direction of where we could get something to eat.

I was disapointed when I first saw the room which had been described as 'luxury' on our booking confirmation. The room was an okay size for two small woman. It was two single beds quite close to one another (it's worth noting the beds are quite comfy, as are the pillows). The bathroom is small but it has a hairdrier and a combined bath/shower, and a toilet.

There was also a TV, and that was about it. The room was quite dark with no view to speak of except for the back of a few buildings. The carpet was worn and the walls were a bit grubby. It felt like the floorboards needed fixing underneath the carpet.

Aside from that, maids service came daily and the rooms were quite clean and well kept, so there wasn't alot to complain about aside from the decor. Oh, and the fact that the TV made a funny whirring noise for about half an hour after turning it on.

Another small thing that happened was, with our package our booking included a sparkling white wine and chocolates on arrival (not sure why, but hey it was good enough for us). Neither were there when we checked into the room so we called reception at about 4pm and they told us that currently they were being delivered to everybody's rooms so it shouldn't be too far away.

The next day it still hadn't arrived so we asked at the reception and the woman we spoke to looked quite confused about our 'package deal'. I knew it was written on my booking confirmation so we brang it down later and they sent it up, no questions asked. We felt like we were nagging a bit, but nevermind.

Service was ok, as mentioned in past reviews- polite, but not overly friendly, except for people servicing the rooms. If you ever saw a staff member in the halls they would smile and greet you. We were also given good advice from reception about how to catch trams, how to get to the zoo, where to buy this etc etc, very knowledgable staff.

My mum was a bit aghast upon arrival that they were going to 'freeze' four hundred dollars on her credit card as a sort-of bond for the room. Gone are the days when hotels take your credit card details and charge them if need be accordingly. Too bad if you were planning on using up your credit limit while on holiday! No mention had been made of this to mum prior, so she was a bit surprised but I suppose that caution rests with the flight centre, rather then the hotel?

Room service is expensive and the hotel has no spa or swimming pool.

There are probably lots of other great hotels in Melbourne which are worth trying, rather then going back to this one, but never say never.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank lilkelzboo
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I spent very little time in the hotel since I was in Melbourne for business and only for the one night.
I was very disappointed in the size of my room - it was tiny. Certainly not what I would expect from a 4.5 star hotel. The bathroom was minute too.
I had no view to speak of - all I could see from the window was another part of the building.
Staff were polite but not particularly friendly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business