“Good location, nice room though a bit small” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #64 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good location, nice room though a bit small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

- but then again, we weren't in the room too much. Nice hotel, and decent rooms.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

We booked this hotel as a package with Jetstar for $800. It included flights and accommodation for 4 nights from Sydney.

The hotel is located close to shopping centres and the CBD which is fantastic. It is also right across from Flinders Street Station and situated next to tram lines which makes travel very easy. There are also restaurants around the hotel and shops within walking distances. Crown Casino is also just down the road which takes 5 - 10 minutes to walk to.

Rooms are quite small, and the room we were given had no view. Overall it was an average looking room, clean, decent, but nothing special. The hotel itself looks quite nice, but there are no fancy facilities like a swimming pool or spa. However there is a fitness centre on one of the floors but is squashed into a tiny (hotel) room with very little equipment. We walked out as soon as we saw the room.

Concierge was very helpful with providing us with directions and reception was polite but not friendly. Overall it was a pleasant stay but not worth what we paid (could have stayed somewhere nicer with that price). I think I will stay somewhere closer to the major shopping centres next time with better facilities.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

Booked direct with hotel for a 3 day stay, rooms excellect for the price range, bar, resturant very good. Position to train-bus excleent and the Crown casino just accross the river.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

I checked in a little after midnight after a very long day at the office. The receptionist was friendly. However, when I got up to my room, I had trouble working out how the keycard fitted into the door lock - the arrow was pointing the wrong way and the directions on the back of the card were also wrong.

When I finally got some help from the passersby and I got into the room, I found it was hardly the "luxurious Queen sized room" I was expecting. It was barely larger than my bedroom. There was a small desk barely large enough to fit my laptop and a kettle on. The TV remote did not work. When I filled the iron with water the next morning, the water continued to drip from the bottom so that my shirt was wet as I tried to iron it!

I ordered room service for breakfast. Not only was it expensive at nearly $30, the food was terrible - toasts were cold and tea pot of hot water had become lukewarm as well by the time the tray was delivered to my room. I might as well have made my own cup of tea with the teabags in the room (however, the tea came with the breakfast set menu).
The view from the room was good - overlooking Flinders St station and windows were well insulated so you couldn't really hear the traffic down below.

I would not stay there again - I had been there on business and I was not given a choice of accommodation. I believe there are other hotels that offer better value in Melbourne and I have definitely stayed at a few others.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SydneyBusinessChick
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

The Rendezvous on the Yarra River in Melbourne is the best location you could ask for if you are visiting for several days. It is on the city side of the River, thus you have easy access to shops, restaurants, as well as the Square. It is easy to walk across the River to the other side where there are even better restaurants. As to the hotel itself, it is an old hotel that has been renovated. We stayed in the modern section of the hotel. The rooms are quite small , but are efficient. We were there for 6 nights and really had no where to put our things, thus had to use the floor and work out of our suitcases. The bathrooms follows the same scheme. Everything was there, but we found it difficult to move when we both were in the room. This was all OK, because we did not plan to be in the room most of the time. The main complaint we had was the lighting scheme. They turn on and off based on movement of the occupants. Very cool, except when you are in the shower and the lights go off because you didn't move enough. A slight wave of the arm turned them back on, but it was weird. Also if one had to go the bathroom in the middle of night, many lights turned on as one moved to the bathroom. I wish they had an override built in so we could have had better control of the lighting. With all this being said, I would definitely stay in this hotel again. The price was more than fair and there is really no reason to pay more to stay in Melbourne. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hotel prides itself on a can do attitude and that is what we found.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aprilgirl76
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

Chose Rendezvous Melbourne because I stay in their Adelaide property & have never had a problem..... but all hotels are NOT created equal!
Basically the room was new & well appointed however it is very small. The distance from the end of the bed (doube size) to the wall was the width of the door way. I was meant to have a king-bed but there is no way anyhting bigger than a doubel-size would fit in that space! Window was large but they failed to mention on their website that it looked onto dark laneway with only bricks 2 metres away.
The bathroom was so small I had to laugh. The shower is tucked behind the door & is so narrow I could not stand face-on to the shower head. Had to do some tricky side-stand-twist-manoeuvre to wash (there goes to laugh). The tiled floor angle from the shower to the remainder of the bathroom wasn't enough to keep the water from going everywhere.
Mentioned my concerns after I checked in (late at night) but the guy behind the counter didn't care & seemed annoyed. Stayed one night but had to check out early as I could not cope with such a small space. Mentioned my concerns to the young lady at reception but her only response was "you paid cash on check in? Then we owe you a refund".
I stay in hotels a few nights every month so I've seen it all (with staff) all I can recommend is that these rooms are not suited to corporate clients (as they advertise on their own site) and they are not worth AU$250+ per night!
I even went as far as writing a letter to the General Manager (avoid the Front Office Manager, your letter will get 'lost') but he/she didn't evan have the business sense to reply!
Melbourne is full of many great hotels. If Rendezous charge AU$250+ a night you would pay similar (or less as I did when relocation to Stamford) at places like Langham, Hilton & Crown. Don't be afraid to move hotels, I told Stamford my situation & they gave me a nice suite that was AU$22 a night less - their reservation also must have advised the Manager of my story as a friend platter & note was waiting for me as a 'Welcome & Thank You'. Money talks!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Matmooloo
Claremont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

The Rendezvous' only weakness is its lack of a view from most rooms. However, you can't have everything. The hotel has been recently updated, and although the rooms are small (or at least the one we had was), they are tastefully decorated, comfortable, and have lots of "green" features. The hotel is small enough so that there was never a wait for the elevator or the reception desk. They offer free wireless Internet access in the lobby. The location is perfect because you can step outside and find everything you need within a couple of blocks. Many tram lines run down Flinders Street and the Flinders Street rail station is 100 m away. The street is busy but not loud.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business