“A great place to stay..central to most attractions”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #67 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay and found the staff friendly and helpful,we were able to walk to and from the central city area with ease. Busses, Trams and Trains service the area well, Our room was clean and tidy. I enjoyed seeing and staying in a local piece of history, would recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting to stay central in style.

John Hailstone, singer/songwriter

Room Tip: Higher floors are great...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alexander B, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear John H Whangarei,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed staying with our hotel and enjoyed our central location.

We are very proud to celebrate our 100th birthday this year. The heritage character and Edwardian features of the hotel are what sets it apart from other hotels in Melbourne. It is always wonderful to hear when people appreciate the charm and uniqueness of this wonderful old building.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at our hotel on your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We purchased the romance package, and it was everything they said it would be. It included a 2 course meal which I must say was very tasty and the waiter was very courteous and professional.
My girlfriend felt very special.
We went out for the evening, and walked the short distance to Federation Square, past dirty overflowing rubbish bins, the occasional homeless person, and Young & Jacksons which had 4 Dumpsters blocking half the footpath.
Even the information building at the corner of Flinders and Swanston was dirty with soot, grime and who knows what else.
After spending some time at the Transport Bar, we took a grubby taxi to the Crown Towers which thank goodness takes a little pride in showing visitors to Melbourne that we have a little bit of class. The Crown is obviously on the good side of the tracks.

Room Tip: Our room was called a Heritage Style. The windows were opaque stain glass, as there was obviously no...

Dear GeneThe3rd1967,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay.

We are glad to hear that you had such a good experience with our romance package. I will be passing your comments to the restaurant team as they take a huge amount of pride in the food they offer.

In regards to your comments about the federation square end of Flinders street, I know the city council is working hard at lifting that precinct and actions are underway to address such concerns.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was actually my second experience in staying at the Rendezvous Grand in Melbourne. The first time I did not leave a review however at that stage (about two years ago) but I was very disappointed in the quality of the room. It was very basic, though it did have the usual hotel necessities. On that occasion it was very dingy, old, and dated, had bad reception on the television, no internet access points that I could see and I didn't really enjoy my stay terribly much.

This time around I had the opportunity to book a room at a discounted rate that was much more agreeable than other hotels in the same area. Thinking I knew what to expect after my last visit, I was actually pleasantly surprised. The "Superior" room, whilst *very* small was fairly modern and pleasant to be in. It was still a bit dark as it was on the far side of the building and the high window opened up onto a wall but it's amazing how slightly more modern furnishings make the atmosphere of a room more enjoyable. The bed was very clean, comfortable and warm and I had a great sleep.

While the bathroom was super tiny, you could still move around (though I had trouble locating a button to turn on the ceiling fan - things got a little too steamy in there after a shower) I really enjoyed the fact that the shower was a walk-in and not over a bath this time and the water pressure was fantastic and stayed consistently hot.

A lot of people seem to be taking umbrage with the concierge / front desk staff. On both occasions that I have stayed I felt that they were nothing but pleasant to deal with and very helpful. This most recent visit I turned up impossibly early and they were happy to check me in and take my bag for me. When I returned from my day out and finalised checking in, the lady at the front desk said that my bag would be brought up ASAP but it was waiting for me when I got to the room. MORE than pleased with that.

Unlike most hotels I've stayed at, the Rendezvous was also happy to store my bag for me *after* check-out. I appreciated this immensely as carrying heavy luggage around the city would have been a nightmare. I would suggest that if people need help with their bags, etc, then a simple polite request will have the staff doing what they can to help.

Based on this particular visit, I would be very happy to stay again and may do so again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ren R

Dear Ren R,

Thank you for taking time to write a very detailed review of your stay. It was wonderful that you were able to return and enjoy the new upgraded product and services.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our baggage service before and after checking out, our team has put a huge amount of work in to improve this area of our service.

I hope to be welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Grand old building, small rooms & smaller bathroom! Clean and tidy, unfortunately we got a room right by where the cleaners kept trolleys etc so alot of banging etc early in the morning! Also got a room at the back of the hotel so our main view was a brick wall

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alexander B, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear paul g,

Many thanks for your recent review on Tripadvsior.

It was disappointing to hear you found the layout and position of your room detracted somewhat from the comfort of your stay. We aim to ensure each guest is allocated rooms in the most suitable location and with amenities that meet their travel needs. We also acknowledge that in a busy hotel we can’t always provide these assurances 100% of the time. With a heritage listed building we face a number of challenges with our room’s layouts and positioning. With the recent multimillion dollar upgrades we have attempted to maximise our room layouts to ensure the best use of space whilst providing superior guest facilities in a suitably comfortable room environment.

We sincerely hope we can have you back to the hotel for your next stay. Please feel free to contact me at a.billing@rendezvoushotels.com so I can ensure you are allocated the most suitable room at the best rate.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for one night in a deluxe room. Our room had a view of the building next door, but we were aware we would not have a nice view when we booked the room. You would need to pay more for that.
We arrived about 9am in the morning & advised that our room wasn't ready which didn't bother us. Rooms are normally available from 2pm. We were just happy that they could store our bags. At about 9.40am I got a call from the hotel to say our rooms were ready! Very good service from all the staff we dealt with. The room was clean & the bed was very comfortable. We had a very quiet room away from the street noise.
The only thing we had trouble with was finding our room. There are 3 different lifts. The lift we initially caught wasn't the most direct to our room & there was a bit of confusion in finding it. The cleaner realized we were lost & gave us directions. Hotel is in a central location with a tram stop out the front.

Dear Sue M,

Thank you for you wonderful review on our Hotel.

We are delighted to read that our team was able to get your room ready in a short amount of time to make your stay an enjoyable one. I will also share your feedback regarding our service as such comments are a great encouragement to our team.

Whenever you have any concerns do not hesitate to speak to us directly and we will find a way to help out.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Situated along a rowdy street,this shabby hotel has seen better days I presume.
The rooms are old and there is a damp and musty smell as you enter.very dimly lit and furniture is old and worn. Bed seemed like an elephant spent a weekend there n flattened it.t
The service is fake and pretentious and the front desk staff gives distasteful looks when guests check in.
My major nightmare came from the restaurant.i had to wait almost an hour for my meal and there was no concern for me or any initiative to offer bread or more water while I sat there.despite my numerous attempts to attract the attention of the staff, they simply avoided my gaze and scurried around like rats..and when they did eventually notice me, they seemed surprised that I'm actually asking for my meal... It is as if i am sitting there and enjoying the ambiance which I must say is akin to a 19th century dungeon.when my meal eventually came, it was the wrong one. The waiter claimed that he had placed the order wrongly and insisted I took the order as it had already been prepared.I was appalled and I seriously wonder if the owner of the hotel is aware of how the hotel is being run by these horrific managers and staff who has no concern for delivering even a proper service.and to think they have the audacity to include a column for TIP. Yes... The only TIP I have for all travellers out there is to avoid this hotel at all costs. There are better places to stay in melbourne and we travellers really do not have to be subjected to such treatment from all thess less than competent so called service providers as they consider themselves to be.I have to say the chefs who prepare the food are good as the taste and presentation is commendable.it is a pity that the hard work and skills of these excellent chefs are overshadowed by the people in the front line who has no desire or concern when it comes to service.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank OneDayInYourLife

Dear OneDayInYourLife,

I appreciate you taking the time to outline your concerns in detail. We appreciate all feedback as it assists us in identifying areas of need within our hotel’s services and facilities.

I was disappointing to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, for that I would like to offer my deepest apologies. Our aim is to ensure every guest enjoys a hassle free and enjoyable stay, it is clear from your comments we have fallen well short of your expectations.

I am truly sorry you found the hotel shabby and the rooms old. We take a huge amount of pride in our 100 year old heritage building. The hotel has recently undergone a multi-million dollar refurbishment to ensure the heritage ambiance of the hotel is retained and the facilities upgraded to cater for the modern traveller. It was also troubling to hear you found our staff fake and pretentious. One of our key goals is to employ and retain professional staff that offer warm and welcoming service. Normally our guests comment that the warm and welcoming nature of our team is one of the best parts about staying with us. I will be sure to address your comments with our team to ensure we are continuously improving how we serve our valued guests.

As to the issues you experienced with your meal, I can only apologise again. Though we have a wonderful and dedicated food and beverage team I am the first to acknowledge no operation can be 100% without fault. The team have been made aware of your feedback and we use such comments as an ongoing training tool to ensure our team understand the need to aim for 100% perfection in all our guest services.

I again thank you for taking the time to provide your comprehensive feedback. I hope we can use this feedback to continually improve the services we offer. I would always welcome further feedback so please don’t hesitate to contact me at a.billing@rendezvoushotels.com.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had several activities planned around the city centre and this hotel was in a great location, within walking distance or a short tram ride to all the places we wanted to go.
Rooms were clean and well presented. the only 'fault' I found i the room was the shower located over the bath. Could be a problem for any one having difficulty stepping in or out of the bath. Staff were helpful, and we enjoyed the bottomless soup in the cafe, even though it was a bit slow to come. Would stay here again and will recommend it to family and friends

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stanve,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a feedback via Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our great location and your stay with our Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne in the near future.