“Good location, but....”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #68 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent, the staff are friendly and welcoming, but unfortunately that's where the good experience ends. My mate and I booked 3 months in advance, told there was no check in till after 2pm. Arrived at 4.30 only to be told our room wasn't ready. No big deal and they gave us a complimentary drink voucher at the bar. Waited another 30 mins before I went and asked how things were going. Was told it still wasn't ready as they were waiting for maintenance to go and fix a towel hook on the back of the bathroom door. I said we didn't care and that we needed to get ready to go to the game.
Finally got the room key, went up, opened the door and found ourselves looking at a king size bed in a tiny room. Not an issue if you booked as a couple. But seeing as I had booked 2 singles 3 months ago, I kind of expected there to be 2 beds. Rang reception and asked, was told that housekeeping would be up to unzip the bed. They did apologise, and gave us breakfast for our stay, but we had to ask. We waited for housekeeping, who finally arrived after 30 mins. We then had to leave them in the room while they made the beds.
Bathroom was tiny, and our 8th floor room had a view of a torn bird net and the building next door.
Kind of a shame really when you walk in to be greeted by the doorman, and a lovely lobby. I don't think I would stay there again.

1  Thank Paul D
Alexander B, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Paul D,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel with your feedback. We welcome all feedback as it assists us to improve our services and facilities.

I would like to apologise for the issues you experienced with your room allocations. With the many and vary room requests we attempt to ensure that every guest, every day gets the moist suitable room. I have reviewed your feedback with our room’s division team and we are investigating ways of working with our booking partner to ensure all twin bedding requests are met. We are working to avoid such issues to ensure every guest experiences a hassle free and seamless check in process.

Though it was disappointing to hear we let you down at check in it was pleasing to hear you enjoyed the other elements of the hotel and found the staff welcoming. We would love the chance to welcome you back to enjoy a proper Rendezvous experience. Please feel free to contact me directly on a.billing@rendezvoushotels.com for your next stay so we can ensure you get the best room at the best rate.

Kind Regards

Alexander Billing

Write a ReviewReviews (5,262)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I recently spent two night in Melbourne for work and stayed at the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne. The hotel is old world charm! The central entrance alcove was fantastic and would have been one very stately hotel at the time of its opening.

The hotel is conveniently located about 1 minute walk to Flinders St station.

The rooms are rather small - a bathroom has been fitted into the original rooms, taking up valuable space - there would not have been bathrooms in each room when the hotel was built.

The rooms have about 18 foot ceilings with ornate cornice work. The room was modern and well fitted out. Bathroom was a little poky, but useable.

If old world charm is your thing, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Niall B, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear PinBall-Mick,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne. Your kind words are very much appreciated regarding our beautiful hotel which is celebrating its 100th birthday this year. We are very proud of the heritage aspect of the hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne in the near future.

Kind regards

Niall Blundell
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great hotel, lovely atmosphere. Reception staff very efficient, great location, incredibly high ceilings in the rooms and divine lead light windows. Gym was well equiped and had water, towels etc. Nice to be able to use the internal stairs instead of the lift to enjoy the building.
Meals looked expensive but its very close to many take aways downstairs. Comfy beds and great pillows.

Room Tip: I was on level 2 which had the original building architecture - not sure if the higher floors do so...
1  Thank Sally S
Andrew E, Guest Relations Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Sally S,
We’re really glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, and really appreciate the time guests take to provide a review on their experience.
Celebrating our 100th birthday this year, we are excited to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy the heritage features of the hotel and look forward to welcoming you on your next stay.
Kind regards,
Andrew
Guest Services Supervisor

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in a Deluxe Room for one night. Our room was large and had excellent views of Flinders Street and the station. Although the bathroom was small, the shower was quiet large. The hotel staff were friendly and very accommodating to our needs. We booked through Jade and she made sure our stay was everything we hoped for. The location was perfect and within walking distance of the main attractions of the city. Highly recommend this hotel and will be back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natti4
Vincent B, Front Office Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Natti4,

First of all let me thank you for writing such a wonderful review and your kind words regarding our Team Members and location. I have passed on your feedback to the Team and especially Jade. The Team and I are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Vincent Bellerose
Front Office Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in August in a superior room. The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful when I requested to change to a room further from the elevator. The room was comfortable and modern. Being just across the road from the tram stop and just down the road a little from Flinders St Station, this hotel is in a prime location in the city and in a beautiful old building as well. The buffet breakfast was delicious and the hotel bar was a great place for a drink before heading out on the town. I'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Kanga80
Jag K, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Kanga80

Greetings to you from Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne and we are delighted to read your stay experience at our hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and your comments are great encouragements to our team. We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Once again thank you and kind regards.

Jag Kaggoda
Director, Sales & Marketing

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The room was recently refurbished to a high standard, but very small, the colours are dark, the room appears to be smaller than it is. Breakfast at $29.50 per person was extreamley dissapointing, 3 star. You can do so much better in the nearby cafe's.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night - the rate was over $300 for one night so my expectations were set considering this is four star hotel - or advertised that way. The room was incredibly small - views over Southbank were actually views over railway tracks entering Flinder St. I went to reception to explain I was highly dissatisfied considering what I was paying. I was advised because the hotel is heritage listed the rooms are small. Well really that doesn't explain the price. I thought I was getting something a bit more special because I was paying a decent amount of money but I should have stayed in the Travelodge where I'd get a bigger room for a better price. Staff advised it was just the way things worked in Melbourne, that you can pay way over what you should sometimes and on another night I'd get the room for $180. That didn't make me feel any better.

I then had staff knocking on the door about complaints of smoking. Nothing to do with me. But the next morning I wasn't allowed to leave the hotel until my room had been checked for smoke. The report came back "airy fresh". I was losing patience. Then when my friend tried to pay for the room on her eftpos card we were advised they were still holding the room rate on my credit card for five days even though the room was about to be paid for. We were advised to use my credit card when checking in so we wouldn't have a $100 deposit taken from my eftpos card. But there was no mention of holding over $300 on my credit cards for five days and then they didn't know how to reverse it without me incurring international charges.

If you can get a room at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne for $180 go for it - its a good location. But its certainly not worth paying more than that for what they call a "deluxe" room.

I was told I could complain to the manager, Mr Billing. I laughed its such an appropriate name.

Room Tip: Don't pay more than $180 for a "delux room with southbank views".
1  Thank Melissa M

Dear Melissa M,

Thank you for your review of the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne. I was extremely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Being a heritage listed building we are limited somewhat by the layout of the rooms and in most cases are unable to extend on the room size. During our recent refurbishments we have aimed to use the space available to us in the most efficient manner to ensure the best possible outcome for our guests. I do apologise that the room did not meet your expectations.

The Saturday night that you did stay with us was a night that Melbourne city was full and a large number of other hotels in the city had rates which were over $1500 per night. Unfortunately high demand periods such concerts and sporting events in the city do increase the prices in the market.

I am also sorry that the Front Office Manager was unable to help you in regards to the charging of your credit card. We hold a pre-authorization on credit cards provided upon check in and we then process that card on check out which releases the pre authorization and charges the card. What the Front Office Manager was trying to avoid was having your credit card company charge you international charges as you wanted to pay with different card upon check out and not with the card that was originally presented at check in. Again I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne.

Kind Regards