“Disappointing!”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #69 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I booked the Rendezvous for a girl's night out and was a little disappointed. The decor of the lobby has been recently refurbished but they have done well to acknowledge the history of the building.

I booked a Commerce Room as I had been told that these have been recently refurbished. Indeed, the decor was new and was appealing but the functionality was not. I was allocated but not told about a handicapped room which meant that water flowed everywhere in the bathroom and there was absolutely no bench space at all. The lighting was also very poor. The desk is designed to look good but had an uncomfortable, non adjustable chair and poor lamp lighting so working from a laptop is not practical. The 'window' from our room looked into another part of the building which I can only guess is a meeting room under construction - there was no natural light at all.

The worst part came when I reported air conditioning problems - I spoke to staff three times between 7pm and 1am and there was no follow up or sense of concern. At no time was a room move offered. The Night Manager said that the Room Service guy would assist, but clearly no-one told the Room Service guy. It just got handballed between departments. The only time there was some follow up is when I reported at 1am that I could hear the banquets staff moving conference tables around - it resulted in loud banging which must have woken up the majority of guests. At least that problem was resolved but nonetheless, I had a restless night's sleep due to the overwhelming heat in the room.

The staff were mediocre - when discussing these problems with the Manager on departure, a 'thanks, we'll look into it" response was offered but it did not compensate for the lack of sleep. Breakfast staff were present but unattentive. However, the decor of the basement restaurant was well done and the breakfast was of reasonable quality.

Overall, I paid $300 for the room rate alone and felt that I had awful value for money.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank MichelleMelbourne
Write a ReviewReviews (5,434)

Reviewed June 2, 2008

After reading rave reviews I expected much more! The rooms were tiny and quite depressing, had no view at all! The furniture was old, the bedspreads were stained, the carpets smelt musty, the whole place was dusty and just felt dirty.

One night staying there was enough, the bed had bed bugs or fleas which gave me bites all over my ankles. I went to have a shower in the morning after not being able to sleep and after running the water for only a few seconds the smell of urine filled the bathroom. I tried notifying reception only to find no-one in sight.

Upon checking out I complained to the manager who had me put it in writing and gave me a 50% refund - personally I expected a whole refund was necessary.

Absolutely disgusting!

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank Charmaine B
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Hotel was great, very modern and in the CBD. Could walk everywhere i needed to. Easy walk to the Crowne Casino.

Was over for the 2006 AFL grand final so tha city was buzzing, great atmosphere. The markets are a must. I was so disappointed when i didnt buy something on one day and the stall was gone the next! This does only happen with some stalls, never the less don't hesitate to buy what you want.

The bathroom was a little on the small side but the room was comfortable even with 3 of us in it.

There was a stuff up with the rooms originally and so 2 of us had to share a queen bed for one night as we checked in at 10pm, the hotel quickly rectified the next morning.

Fitness centre was very handy.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fussy08
Reviewed May 29, 2008

Great business hotel, staff were very good, room was a bit on the small side but very well presented indeed. All mod-cons and a nice gym, no pool.
Right in the CBD and a short walk to the southbank or trains, trams and buses - so very well sited to get out and about.
Would go there again as it's up there with the best.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Super_traveller_8
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Stayed 5 nights at the Rendezvous hotel for work and my own time and I can highly recommend the place. I got a pretty good package as part of the conference I was attending, so I'm not sure of the going rate. A couple of things to be aware of. The rooms at the front of the hotel have a fantastic view of the Yarra River but you will be able to just hear trains coming and going at Flinders St Station but I can assure you it absolutely won't keep you awake at night and the view is worth it. The corridor traffic can also be a bit noisy but again it won't really bother you unless you are a light sleeper. The room I was staying in was the cheapest availble but was still a decent size but it could have done with a bit of facelift (walls scuffed, carpet worn etc). Room service (for breakfast) is spot on, used the business centre for free and the reception and concierge staff were efficient and friendly. I think the bar also has the cheapest cocktails in Melbourne at the moment. You can also get an extra late checkout (6pm) for $50, which I think isn't bad. Best of all is as everyone says the location - step out the door and you are in the middle of Melbourne and close to everything (25 min walk to the MCG, 5min to Southbank etc). Just remember it is a 4.5 star hotel, so the prices for anything you buy there reflect this e.g breakfast is twice the price of local cafe's. Overall it is a great hotel, in a great location, give it a go.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Coatsey
Reviewed April 30, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in a club room and loved the building. The rooms are a little on the small side, but well decorated and cozy. The location of the hotel is wonderful! Usually when I book a hotel I check and double check the location in relation to the attractions I want to see and this hotel was in the perfect spot. It's right in the middle of everything. I had a room in the back of the hotel so I did not experience any noise issues. Also, the front desk staff were very nice and helpful. I would suggest this hotel to others

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank perthbex
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Stayed only one night and found the hotel quite nice. It's in a good location although it sits across the road from the Flinders street station and is prone to a bit of noise. They have tried to insulate the noise with a second layer of windows inside the rooms. Ordered some room service (Fish & Chips) which was average although they did keep to their promise of 20mins delivery. I did have 2 issues, the first was that my bill was not delivered during the night to complete the express checkout and I requested a newspaper that was also not delivered. On my way out, I joined a long queue of people to checkout and was approached by a very helpful lady asking me if I wanted to use the express checkout (to which I replied "Definitely") and she was also able to provide me with my newspaper. Overall, a good night's stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business