“Grand Old Lady”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #67 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 15, 2013

First time in a major city for two of our travelling party. We chose Rendezvous Hotel because of its location and the art deco decor.
The service was outstanding. Having never stayed a whole week in a hotel, we were thrilled to have the beds made and turned down for us each day and the bathroom tidied and restocked. Trooms are small but we were after a place where we could simply just sleep, we didn't require a gym or a pool etc, we had no plans of just relaxing in our rooms.The concierge and the front desk staff were extremely helpful. We would diffenently stay here again.
Loved the personal touch of the welcome on the TV screne on our arrival.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed in May with a group of friends and we were very surprised at how small our room was and very glad we weren't staying more then 2 nights.
The hotel itself is nice but the rooms aren't anything special especially for the price.
Great location though.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a really well located hotel , right next to the main train station on Flinders street.
The style is classic turn of the century , recently celebrating 100 years .
Rooms can be a bit of a lottery , ask for front facing window if possible or risk getting an internal window which lacks any aspect of what the weather is like , you might need to stand on a chair too see day light !
The bar is a must visit with great Happy Hour.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room on to Flinders street
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from 3 nights staying at this hotel. Staff great and I got a very early checkin that was unexpected as I arrived at 8 am. Room small but fine for one person I would not have liked to spend 3 nights in a superior room as a couple 1 would be ok. My only letdown was how clean the room and hallways were, on first glance they looked fine but mould and lots of it under rim of sink in bathroom the iPod dock had a thick layer of dust and bedside table revolting.
If these issues are addressed I would be happy to stay again but at this stage I would look elsewhere next time I head to melbourne.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

A friend had a voucher booked for a night but was unable to go. I had an event in the city the following day and so scored a free night.

The location is just across the road from Flinders Street station and tram stops, so very handy for tourists or those needing public transport.

There was not a self park option and didn't seem to be much in the way of 24hr car parks close. We took the valet park option. It was pretty standard with other places in Melbourne.

The room itself was very nicely furnished but small. That didn't really distract from our stay at all though.

Overall we had a really nice night here.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during the Easter long weekend. I found this place to be central to access main attractions and eateries (which was great because we decided to exclude breakfast during our stay). The hotel is a short walk to the Crown, Flinder's Station, Federation Square, and the main shopping precinct. The staff were friendly, professional and helpful in organising our SkyBus shuttle.

The room itself as mentioned in previous reviews is compact, but if your purpose is to sleep and shower then it's enough. What I was surprised with is that the toiletries provided was clearly used by previous tenants and was not replaced. The bed I found wasn't comfortable, but it was tolerable for the few nights we were there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in June for work as had a conference there.
The room was on the smaller size, but sufficient for 1 person. It had a good comfortable bed, good sized desk and a single chair.

The bed was made up with a doona but no sheets - more eurpoean. This would have been OK if Melbourne was colder, but it was slightly warmer than you'd expect so I had to try and turn the A/C down. Trouble was the best I could achieve was 22 degrees (set at 20) and it was too hot for the bedding. The A/C made the room a bit dry for me. Had disturbed sleep as a result.

The bathroom was compact but done well - very nice. It had a timed sensor light so no need to find the switch in the middle of the night. Towels were changed daily (even when hung up). Shower head was generous. Water temperature good but not blistering hot. Good hairdryer in drawer. Toilet was close to shower entry so after you'd showered you did have to step in splashed water to use the wc but I just left the mat down.

The mini bar was average in terms of choice, but prices good (cheaper than 7 eleven).
Ipod dock in the room came in handy for charing the phone when my cable broke.
Took my own optus wi-fi but couldn't get optus signal in the room very opten.

Absolutely no view - just wall opposite, and from level 5 still couldn't see the sky up the narrow court.

Room service was good. Meal nice and portions good, arrived in specified time and cost was acceptable.

Breakfast in the restaurant was a standard buffet. Nothing to rave about. Choice of 3 or 4 juices. MYO coffee machine. Choice leaf tea or bags. About 4 cereals and selection of dried fruits to top them. None of the cereals was what I'd eat normally. Good array of fresh and tinned fruit, yoghurts and bircher museli (a little sweeter than I was used to). A few pastries to choose from. Toast machine coud have been turned to darker. Bread was nice. Hot buffet changed a little each day but the usual suspects.

Location worked for me.. couldn't complain.
Would consider this hotel again if just for a short trip.

Room Tip: Maybe a room that has a view if you can...not so claustrophobic..
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business