“Very small rooms the hotel is 100years old and feels it”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #66 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
“Very small rooms the hotel is 100years old and feels it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is an old refurbished establishment and the rooms are very small. I found lift access confusing and if you got in the wrong lift it was a rabbit warren to navigate. As mentioned the rooms are tiny mine had a view of a white brick wall. The tv did not have access to afl football which is available at other hotels that I have stayed in. I am a regular traveller to Melbourne CBD hotels and I would rate the Novotel and the sebel as far better options if you are a customer that likes a room with some space. I can handle small spaces but I felt uncomfortable staying here with my wife. Which is a Shame as this is the first time I have travelled to Melbourne with her in 12 months. When I spoke to reception about my room they said this room is one step up from a base room and all rooms are a similar size. He told me that the hotel is 100 years old and that the room size was quite generous back then.
I also had to follow them up about my house keeping as the room had not been made up by 240pm. They explained that rooms where customers had checked out received priority at this hotel.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel for people that are sensitive about small spaces or old lifts. Or anyone that could afford to stay at the Novotel or sebel

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Fin6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Nelson Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently had 3 nights at this beautiful hotel & I would highly recommend it.
I was upgraded at no extra charge to a lovely room on the 9th floor with a great view when I expressed my disappointment at the first room that I was shown on the 2nd floor, only that it was very small for a 3 night stay.
Felicity at reception was so friendly & understanding & spoke with the manager to have my room changed, I thought that was very nice of them to do that.
I dined at the restaurant that first night, great food & service.
I had full buffet breakfast every morning & everything was fresh, delicious & well presented.
The Travellers bar is a lovely spot to relax. The building itself is stunning with lovely decor & it is very centrally located.
All the staff were friendly & professional.
A big thank you to you all.
I will definately stay again. Peta Harding. Nelson Bay. NSW

Room Tip: Higher floor, city scape view, looking to Flinders Station & Yarra river over to Southbank.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hello
I have just stayed at the Rendezvous in Flinders st Melbourne for the first time. I rarely complain as errors do occur however this would have to be the worst hotel I have stayed in in recent times. Firstly, phoning down to have my car ready in 45 mins resulted in a no show, only when you present your ticket do they get your car. This is despite the 7 people waiting as I was. To add insult to injury, arriving back at the hotel at 11:15pm only to find my room had not been serviced was the last straw. I phoned reception, only to be advised that unless I had requested my room to have been serviced it would not have been done. Excuse me! I would suggest we stay somewhere else in future!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Road_WarriorsWA
Bicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We arrived at 08:30 on a Sunday morning. Would have just dropped our bags off and go for a walk until we could check in.
Fortunately they had upgraded us to a refurbished room and it was ready.
Just what we needed after our flight from Singapore.
They explained that there was an issue with the new shower screens but supplied extra towels.
Not really a problem.
Bed was perfect, fantastic service, centrally located and it was my birthday!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Right in the heart of Melbourne this hotel is close to virtually everything. Our stay was at a 'special low rate' which I am always apprehensive about because I expect to be given the worst room available but what we had was quite good. At the rear of the building near the service elevator it was roomy and quite at night but noisy from about 0730 in the morning when house- maids were banging their cleaning trolleys against the outside wall. Fittings and furnishings were modern and good quality and there were nice touches such as slippers and bathrobes. The only negative is the size of the bathroom. It's very small but well equipped. Everything worked well and it was a comfortable stay. Staff were friendly and professional as you should expect. Valet parking seems expensive at $35 but it was worth it for convenience and actually quite reasonable in cost. We would certainly return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed in the Deluxe suite which was clean but small. The shower was small and the shower screen was ineffective as water sprayed out everywhere which was inconvenient. The decorative cushions smelled bad as well.

The view was spectacular and the service was good too.
Staff were friendly, well groomed and helpful.

Room Tip: Request for a south bank view on the top level
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel at short notice for the White Night festival weekend . The location is perfect, a short walk from Flinders Street station and walking distance to all of the city attractions. We received an upgrade to a deluxe room which was well appointed with an extremely comfortable bed and modern furnishings. The buffet breakfast was fantastic with tea plungers ( much nicer than tea bags ) and a great selection to choose from. The best hotel we have stayed at in the city by far.

• Stayed February 2013