“Perfect location with peace & quiet”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #65 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Perfect location with peace & quiet”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Having spent 10 frantic days in Sydney, we were hoping for a few days in Melbourne to chill out. Thankfully this hotel was in a very central location and our room was very spacious and quiet.
The hotel is located a few hundreds yards away from Federation Sq, the tram stops just outside the hotel entrance if want to explore further afield eg. st kilda.
We didn't have breakfast as part of our stay but because the hotel is on Finders St there's plenty of options just a short stroll away.
The reception staff were very helpful in giving us advice on where to go and what to do, especially as it was 42C outside and we wanted to stay cool.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Bought a night on sale for $100 from ourdeals.com.au a few months back. Stayed on a Tuesday night.

Beautiful classy old style building, very well maintained. Trams right out the front and spencer street station on the corner, with a quick walk under the train station to get to Southgate beside the water.

Room was small very tidy and modern and perfect for for a few nights stay. Mini bar seemed really cheap, $7 for half bottle of wine, $4 for beer...very reasonable and more likely to make use of when its hot priced obscenely...so of course we devoured wine, beer, chips and nuts. No more do not disturb signs or make up my room, it's now a button you press on a panel which lights up another panel near the door out the front. Haven't seen anything like that before, so that was cool. We were right near housekeeping stores and were woken up by noisy chatty housekeepers,laughing and seeming not to realise that people were trying to sleep still at that hour of the morning.

Great menu selection, room service 24hrs, got dinner coupons but didn't use them unfortunately.

Shower had one of those big rain shower heads so water pressure not that great. Bathroom was tiny, but well laid out. Great magnifying double sided mirror very well placed to apply makeup. Lights came on automatically when you walked in.

3hrs free internet in each room, paid also available. Very friendly and accommodating staff, would def go back again as the location is great and the room was fantastic for the price.

Very happy!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline D
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This lovely old hotel has been tastefully refurbished retaining its beautiful mosiac floor and painted ceilings. Right on flinders street it is a perfect location for all transport. The service is attentive and the rooms although not grand were simple , clean and well priced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The staff were wonderful from the moment we set foot in the door. We were set upon by staff wanting to assist with bags etc... And they genuinely welcomed us.., I have NEVER had that happen elsewhere! We checked in and went into a fantastically classical lobby, up through the timeless elevators and found our room...

I was initially a little disappointed by the size and the view of a wall but then I thought "hey! I've paid a lot more money elsewhere and gotten smaller rooms that were dirty.. Abd the view isn't everything'. The reviews about the toilet and the shower have some truth, but saying your feet are IN the shower is an extreme exaggeration! Yes it's small, but so is our bathroom at home, and it was renovated to a wonderful degree. The decor all round is beautiful. I'm currently writing this in my hotel room. I was concerned about the noise level at first also, and I can hear a (very) distant rumble from the station and trams but it's nothing that will keep this happy camper from a good nights sleep :)

The bed is wonderfully comfortable. There is a wonderful bar/lounge area below to chill out in and you are right in the heart of Melbourne shopping districts... Really.. There's little to complain about! We're so difficult to please these days it seems. Me and my fiancé are very laid back people.. And the rendezvous suits our needs and expectations just fine :)

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed in Jan 2013. Room and hotel was neat and clean, but the room I stayed was quite small. The location is central this has advantage of being close to transport and attractions, but the noise and trembling from tram and train especially at night was quite disturbing - not hotel's fault - but try to get a room away from the railway if you can. Service was generally good. They allowed early check-in without fuss, although housekeeping made a visit soon after while I was unpacking to check the mini-bar as it was not done when the previous guest checked-out. It didn't matter too much to me but was bit odd that they let me check-in before these were done. The gym was hidden away on 3rd or 4th floor, and there was no information guide in the room about the gym and other facilities, and no signs at the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was a little reluctant to stay here given some of the reviews but a $90 deal on one of the group buying websites made it pretty attractive for one night. So what was it like? Well, it's a chain hotel so you're pretty safe - all the standard things are included and the staff were pleasant enough.
The room was VERY small - functional and refurbished - but SMALL- probably the smallest I've ever stayed in and that includes Hong Kong! As all I needed was a bed for the night it was adequate but if you were staying longer or sharing it may be a little claustrophobic.
I suspect at some point a much more generously proportioned room has been split in two - the high ceilings are a bit of a give away, as was the lone little window that looked out directly onto a besser block wall. As others have noted, it was also dark.
The room was noiser than I expected - not from external sounds but you can definitely hear your neighbours. The bed was okay but the pillows were way too hard - they have Pillow Menu and I think they must give a couple of samples but when you get in late it really is a nuisance to have to call to get replaceements if you like something a little softer.
On the plus side however - it was $90 - and the room was clean, the bathroom was new, the mini bar was very reasonably priced and the location is great.
Would I stay here again? Not as a first choice, but I wouldn't not - if that makes sense - so long as the price was around $100 - I don't think it's worth much more than that especially when there are so many options in Melbourne, .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Rendezvous was tidy, but it's definitely a hotel that could use some work.

I stayed here for one night on a brief Melbourne trip to visit a place nearby on Elizabeth St. It's in a great spot, right near a tram stop (though in Melbourne how could you not be at any given moment!) and right near Flinders St Station. Short stroll to Fed Square.

The hotel itself has a nice foyer and a funky old elevator which works fine, and all appearances on the outside are the norm for a hotel that needs renovating - do the foyer first for good impressions and rooms later.

My room, which I was sharing with a friend, was for two singles - however a previous occupant must have needed to use a rollaway which the hotel had left set up. The beds were pushed close together because of this and we had an interesting time pushing the rollaway against the wall to give some space between us.

The bed I slept on was absolutely rock hard, easily the worst I've experienced in my travels. Considering I'd had 3 hours sleep prior to the 2 hour drive to Sydney and the fun and games involved with air travel, I was absolutely stuffed by the time 8pm rolled around and yet couldn't sleep a wink (and I'm a good sleeper).

The beverages in the mini fridge available for purchase were all well out of date.

In short, I won't be returning to the Rendezvous unless it's heavily renovated (despite the location). For a short notice stay it was acceptable however in future there are plenty of other nice hotels in Melbourne that will receive my business.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends