“Nothing to rave about”

Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #65 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Did not get off to a good start with the rendezvous. Perhaps it was because we were using a scoop on voucher for the length of our stay! We were not welcomed at all and felt the man who checked us in was cold and short as he spoke. We were given no introduction to the hotel, services and had to figure it all out for ourselves, such as where to find breakfast which was included with our deal. Our level 6 room had a view of a parking lot (those parking would also have a view of us) so we had to keep blinds closed the whole time which was annoying as the light switch system in the room was difficult and frustrating to figure. The bathroom was the smallest I've seen but it was clean and had the things you needed. Some days our shampoo, etc wasn't replenished and if I left a water bottle out house keeping threw it out!! Annoying! The room itself was fine and didn't bother us too much as we only returned to sleep at night - if we were there more I'm sure we would have been disappointed further. The location is good, breakfast was average, some staff were less than friendly, housekeeping was also below average, gym was very small. I won't be going back but at the same time the little things I didn't let bother me so I wouldn't consider the trip ruined.

Room Tip: Try an upgrade perhaps!
3  Thank MelC2403

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Flew to Melbourne for a week of r&r. The Rendezvous is perfectly located in the CBD for those who wish to base themselves a short walk from EVERYTHING. I have read a number of previous reviews and the rooms are indeed small, however this shouldn't matter if you're only going to use your room for a brief rest breaks and sleep. Our room was modern and clean. The bed was very small, which was slightly disappointing. Pillows were terrible. Service was good, although we hardly needed to interact with staff. All things aside, we will definitely stay here during our next visit.

Room Tip: When booking, request a queen or kind bed.
1  Thank Benny A
Reviewed October 24, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the Rendezvous Hotel. Firstly, the location is fantastic. So many cafes and shops within easy walking distance! The room was very clean and had lovely touches of bathrobes and slippers for use during your stay and a selection of pillows you can request. Floor boards a bit creaky and no cutlery in room to eat our bits after shopping at the markets but kitchen staff helped with our requests. Staff were very helpful. Had a light lunch in the cafe which was enjoyable. Overall, a very positive experience!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked this hotel thru last minute and stayed for 4 nights. Great location, friendly staff, great bar, enjoyed happy hour each afternoon. Yes room and bathroom small, however they have been upgraded and very clean, king size bed was amazingly comfortable. Honestly cannot understand why people would complain about this hotel. We travel to Melbourne 3 times per year and this has been the best hotel we have stayed in. Will be booking again for our next trip.

1  Thank 94JulieM94
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this hotel via lastminute.com.au for my parents and myself . The hotel contacted me few days before to confirm how many persons will be staying in and I informed them that it will be three of us. I also indicated that we will need accessible room for my father.
Upon checking in, I asked reservation staff what will the arrangement of my room will be since I have indicated three persons. The guy who assisted us seemed confuse that there will be three persons staying and indicated there will be surcharge for extra bed ? ? . I told him that I have given this information before in the booking page, and I paid this amount based on 3 persons . After reading all the correspondences, He gave my keys and informed there will be no charge if I insisted on not having extra bed for 3rd person. I replied that I wont be paying extra charges .
Anyway when I saw the room, it has been arranged for three persons instead (3 single rooms ) with easy access for disable person. If only the guy at the desk paid more attention to the details . The room is facing wall , and in the morning there was noise from other building . But you cant beat the location , very convenient access to everywhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I purchased a Scoopon voucher for $159.00 that included a bottle of wine, valet parking, breakfast and late checkout of 12pm. I had the option to upgrade for $30 to a deluxe room which I didn't do....with hindsight it would have been money well spent! But having said that....

We arrived at 5:00pm on a Saturday afternoon and had to wait a good 10 minutes to check in. The valet parking arrangement was protracted....my husband had to sit in the car out the front and wait for someone to collect his keys!

On entering the room....wow....what a small room!! Seeing that we were only staying one night (for a concert at Rod Laver Arena) it really made little difference to us. If you were staying longer than one night I would definitely recommend upgrading to a deluxe room or stay elsewhere that was self contained.

The bathroom was small but perfectly formed - was a squeeze to get both of us in there at once. The shower was great though!

We were in room 122 which faced Flinders Street. It was a little noisy - trains, trams and some street noise. The rooms aren't terribly well 'sound proof' so we did hear a little noise from our neighbours but nothing really worth complaining about. The only gripe I have is that the rubbish bin had not been emptied and as it was full we had to use the bathroom bin.

The breakfast was awesome....loads of variety. They only have scrambled eggs on offer in the buffet but just ask ans eggs are cooked to order.

Overall it was a pleasant stay - would upgrade to the deluxe room if we stayed again!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room and try and avoid facing Flinders Street.
1  Thank aemann