“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend with the girls, but was terribly dissapointed by the hotel and service levels. The room was large but only furnished with 2 single beds, desk with chair and 1 other chair, that resembled a childs chair. The bathroom is very small and on the first night the maids cleaned us out of towels and failed to replace them. When I called reception to advise this, the receptionist was less that polite. The next time the room was cleaned, the bathroom was not cleaned and all the empty amenities tubes were just left la dying around. When I complained, I was offered breakfast the next morning. I complained to the Assistant General Manager Niall, and showed him the pictures I had taken and he agreed that this level or service is completely unacceptable. I complained through the company customer service department, but the reply they got was that he had contacted me personally and offered me a 25% discount on my next stay, plus breakfast, parking and an upgrade. He has not contacted me and I have not heard anything else, I am very dissapointed by the service. I would not stay at this hotel again, nor would I reccomend it to anyone.
I work for a large travel company and have previously stayed in other hotels in Melbourne, and had had much better service.
I booked what was supposed to be a 4.5 star hotel, if I wanted a 2.5 star hotel I would have booked one, but that was what I got.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Therese G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here in Dec 2010 when Bon Jovi toured here. This hotel is star rated quite highly by most wholesalers. It's a definite low 4 for me. I am a travel agent, so stay in quite a lot of varying hotels. The main selling point of this hotel is its amazing location on Flinders street. There a sometimes some good stay pay deals as well. At the time I stayed there I believe there was some refurbishment going on and we got a refurbished room. The reception staff were good. I have alternate preferred hotels in Melbourne that I put my clients in Causeway 353 is one. However, the Rendezvous is a good hotel. Take advantage of those stay pays to get a free night if you can. Having stayed at the sister property in Adelaide, I expected a bit more from this property. There is nothing wrong with it, I just prefer other hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Good quality, good service and good location
Spent three days and found it very convenient
Some intercity noise at times but nothing too disruptive.
Dint get to enjoy the food and bar as it was very busy

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Corona del Mar, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The room was crazy small, no where even to put the luggage. Felt like a Paris hotel. I heard there was a wing that had been completely remodeled but unfortunately I got a very old, rundown room. Was woken up the first morning by a window washer hanging outside my window. Problems with internet connection, electric teapot didn't work, no bellmen, restaurant food wasn't good and food took forever even when I was the only one in the restaurant. But the staff everywhere was very friendly.

Room Tip: request the renovated rooms!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Donna M
Yeppoon, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel in July for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, initially in a Deluxe room for the first 2 nights and then we moved to a Heritage Club Room in the older part of the hotel for the last two nights after a problem we had with another guest on our floor. The Deputy Manager, Michael, sorted out our problem without hesitation and got us settled into our new room and left a bottle of wine in the room for us.

We would like to thank Michael and the reception staff on duty the morning of the 30th July, they made the rest of our holiday very special.

Room Tip: If I went back to this hotel I would opt for the Heritage Rooms over the newer ones.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adele W
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in July for business. The hotel room was small but all I needed for my stay. Walls must be thin though as I heard my neighbours snore! The bathroom is tiny but functional. Staff were friendly. I would return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank elsePerth
Warners Bay, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We have just arrived home from a weekend at rendezvous. Great location just across from flinders st station & within tram ride to all the best locations. Check in was fast & courteous, the room was lovely - very modern. Yes the bathroom was small but it was spotless & had everything needed. Our package included late check out, massage vouchers, dinner vouchers & bubbly on arrival. Dinner in the restaurant was beautiful with the best service. All the makings for a romantic coples weekend. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple