“nice hotel, rip off car parking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jasper Hotel

Jasper Hotel
Ranked #78 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Lorne, Australia
“nice hotel, rip off car parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a few times. It's good. Great location close to Vic Market and usually very competitive rates for a hotel of this quality.
Note that at the moment there are renovations going on so those worried about noise in the morning (8am>) should consider their options.
Waht annoys me is the car parking is a sham; none on site and you have to park on Franklin St (nearby). But they give you a lousy 10% discount and it still cost me over $40 to park the car there. Most other hotels have free parking or car parks ~$25. I was concerned about this before I booked the hotel but the receptionist didn't even have a clue about how much the parking was. I think that's poor.
Having said that, it's a good hotel and I would probably stay again and park elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face Elizabeth St if you think the dinging of tram bells will wake you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank danW30
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Dan
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your most recent stay at the Jasper.
It’s good to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and the hotel suits your needs well.
In regards with your experience with the car parking I have spoken to our team about the quality of the information that they supply to guests. On the topic of the car park unfortunately we are unable to offer onsite parking for guests (due to the nature of the building) but the reason that the hotel recommends guests park with Green Co is that they are the closest car park that operate 24 hours and is secure and we offer a 10% discount.
We look forward to your next stay with us at the Jasper.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The front desk staff are the friendliest and most helpful staff I've encountered, and I'm on the road over 50% of my time! They are happy to make reservations and help you with your travel requests. I look forward to their friendly greetings and banter while waiting for my morning coffee and arriving back from my work day. The rooms here are an amazing bargain for the quality and space. They are basic bu comfortable and there's enough space for me to easily do my morning yoga. It's definitely noisy from the construction but it's the construction in the neighborhood as well that adds to the noise. The hotel is conveniently located to the city areas, university and my office so I will definitely return. I look forward coming back to the finished remodel!

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your review, the team was so happy to receive your review (myself included it’s fantastic to get this type of feedback) and just as importantly that they were able to make your stay so enjoyable.
Next time you decide to stay with us you will have to take advantage of either the complimentary passes we offer to the Melbourne City Baths or one of our new rooms that will include a balcony to do your morning Yoga.
Next time work brings you back to Melbourne we look forward to welcoming you back.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

undergoing major renovations and was extremely noisy, even when making the booking on the phone, as all I could hear was the jack-hammer in the background. I'd suggest trying somewhere else, even with the discounts, I'd prefer to pay more and have some peace & quietness.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank dw212014
Dear Valued Guest,
I’m disappointed to hear that your experience of booking and staying with us was less than perfect, but unfortunately we must undergo these renovations so that the hotel can reflect the level of service that the team strives to deliver to every guest.
I hope that when the renovations are complete you would be inclined to stay again and enjoy the new and improved Jasper.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed during renovations but as a Saturday night, no noise. Staff were excellent, friendly and very helpful. Room was very comfortable. Close to Vic market and just north of city centre. We have stayed here twice now and will stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jan672014
Dear Jan
It’s good to hear from our return guests as to the reasons that keep them coming back to our hotel. Which are two of our best features firstly our team and then the location of the hotel, with these two aspects and add too that the completed renovation which will include the new Lobby, Guest Rooms and the Restaurant and Bar, we will hopefully have you return to us many more times in the future.
We look forward to you having another reason to visit us in the near future.
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I didn't expect really much from this hotel. Because the price wasn't expensive.But I was surprise. Location and room condition were very nice! Especially high quality bath supplies made me happy. (Those were better than mine ). And there was a charming Korean staff on front desk. She helped me to book skybus to the airport. If she didn't I had to waste my time on the street. Thoank you for helping me :). I'll come again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank vivalouis
Dear Guest
It’s always great that the team and the hotel are able to beat the expectations of our guests by delivering the high level of service that we pride ourselves on, especially when one of the team has the chance to make your stay that much easier. I also agree the toiletries that we have in the guest rooms are exceptional, Appelles skin care range is fantastic.
Well on your next stay we look forward to you having another great stay in the newly renovated hotel.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

check in was good. Room was lovely and clean. Bed comfy and the view was lovely. Everything worked well. staff good. great cafe with take away service. good pricing. check out was quick and efficient. staff very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: one bedroom manhattan good choice either twin or queen bed
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Angela T
Dear Angela
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience of staying with us at the Jasper, it’s always fantastic to hear that a guest has received the great service from the beginning to the end of their stay.
We hope that we can look after just as well on your next visit to the hotel.
South Bend, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

One needs to make allowances for the major renovation and construction which should be completed by October 2014. The room and bathroom were good. The staff was helpful.

It is located just north of the city center but there is a tram line out front. The restaurants on Lygon Street are a 10 minute walk.

2 Thank FCB-7
Dear Guest
We appreciate that you where understanding of the current renovation that we have undertaken at the hotel. Even better to know that the team where able to assist you and that the features of the room fitted your needs.
We look forward to your next visit to the hotel.