“Funky hotel, great Breakie”
Review of Jasper Hotel

Jasper Hotel
Ranked #71 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Albury Wodonga
“Funky hotel, great Breakie”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I love the decor at the Jasper, very funky. It is great to stay somewhere that isn't like every other motel.
It had a pleasing amount of tea, coffee, hot chocolate in the room.
I had breakfast included and ate Jasper kitchen. Was great watching the world go by. Go the omelette, fantastic.
Whilst I can't blame street noises on the hotel, I was woken up by some sauced up lads either singing their national anthem or the them of their favorite tv quiz show. I thought they were in my room, it was that loud. The rest of the motel patrons, I didn't hear during my stay.
Big pluses are you are right on the doors of the Vic markets and all that melb has to offer.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank HBAJ
Regan S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear HBAJ,

Thanks so much for your lovely review - so glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and our coloured walls! The hotel is certainly in a great central location and I agree, the omelette is delicious!

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in Melbourne.

Kind Regards,
Regan Shawcross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I found the Jasper on the internet, we were looking for somewhere in the CBD at an affordable price. I read previous reviews on your site, some were not very complimentary but I am happy to say we did not share their experiences. Check in around 11pm was quick and easy, our room on the top level was excellent (overlooked Elizabeth Street). There was some noise on the first night but we got used to it and slept well. The aircon worked a treat (plus the windows opened), the shower was great and the TV more than adequate. On our first morning, we took advantage of the special offer of $17.00 breakfast at the Jasper Kitchen next door, service was good and the coffee was excellent. There are plenty of cafes within easy walking distance and McDonald's is right next door on the corner. Across the road are the Victoria Markets with heaps of eating places as well. Ideal location. It is two blocks to Latrobe Street to catch the free city circle tram and our walk down to Federation Square in Flinders Street was easy. We did pop over and have a look inside the indoor baths and next time we will take our bathers and have a dip! On checkout we were able to leave our bags so we could go off exploring again (our flight was not until late afternoon). The staff were very courteous and helpful. Family were able to pull up right outside the hotel to pick us up. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 804 was excellent.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris H
Regan S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Chris H,

So glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and in Melbourne and thank you for taking the time to write your review.

All of our guests have complimentary access to the Melbourne City Baths and gym so you will definitely need to bring your gear next visit!

I will be sure to share your comments with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Sydney
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Jasper is a good hotel; however, it is quite noisy. When I made the booking I knew it might be noisy so I asked for the room to be off the main road, away from the elevator, etc. my requests were not adhered to.

Also, there is no parking at the hotel and you have the choice of spending $20 per day in secured parking or you can park right outside the hotel for free between the hours of 7.30pm-7.30am.

Otherwise the stay was good value. 3.5 out of 5.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank LeylandBrothers
Dear LeylandBrothers,

Many thanks for taking the time to send in your review and I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room allocation. Being so central in the CBD there is some street noise at times and we do our best to accomodate all room requests. We also have staff available 24 hours who can assist with any problems throughout your stay.

Unfortunately we do not have onsite carparking at the hotel but the rates offered at CBD Parking on Franklin St are very competitive and it is only a short 5 minute walk to the hotel.

Thank you again and I do hope we can welcome you back to hotel soon.

KInd Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The room was small but newly renovated and very clean. The view overlooked the Queen Vic markets and over the weekend it was great to be able to pop down for some breakky. There was no kitchen, just a tiny bar fridge. Would definitely stay there again purely for the location. A bit out of the hustle and bustle but close to trams and markets- perfect!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Alice,

Thanks for your lovely review! Great to read that you enjoyed your long weekend with us and that you were able to visit the Queen Vic Markets - a must see when in Melbourne.

Glad to hear that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Jasper!

Echuca, Australia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We stayed on the red floor which when you got of the lift the colour just hit you. We loved the location near the market and walking distance to every where.
The tram was across the road if needed and ATM and convenience store with alcohol and Aldi supermarket in the next street. The staff were very helpful and always pleasant. I would stay here again as it is a great price and fantastic location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank debbie c
So great to read you enjoyed your stay with us Debbie and thanks for taking the time to post your review. Glad you liked the Red floor, if you stay with us again ask for the Green Floor - it definitely gives the "brightest" pop out of the elevator!

I have shared your lovely comments with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I had a great 4-night stay at Jasper Hotel recently; first and foremost, I asked for a room overlooking Victoria Market, which I got. The staff were helpful and friendly, the room was very cosy and very clean. Breakfast was GREAT! I definitely could have stayed longer!

A couple of small issues- I arrived very early in the morning and unfortunately had to wait until 2pm to check-in, but that often can't be helped, so that was fine. A very minor detail, the bed was made up quite messy, so that when I tried to pull off the covers to get into bed, all the bedding would come apart/undone.

Also, it can be a bit noisy when there are other guests in the room(s) next-door, but it's not unbearable. But just something to consider, all of you light-sleepers.

This is was my first-ever visit to Melbourne, and to Australia, and I was hugely relieved to find Jasper Hotel to be such a clean pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ArtemisBP
Dear ArtemisBP,

Thank you for your review and the great photo of your omelette - definitely one of my favourites!

I am sorry to hear of the problems you experienced with your bed and I have passed your comments onto our Executive Housekeeper for review.

Thanks again for your comments and hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Upon arrival we were accosted in the main foyer by a man that could only be described as a junkie who attempted to give us directions as to the best place to eat. Management appeared to do little to remove him and he was a constant presence throughout the night. We stayed on the 'green' level which was the eighth floor. Room basic, with a very small television and bathroom. Shower was surprisingly good if a little cramped. The hotel is subjected to constant noise throughout the night from the street and adjoining rooms. If you are a light sleeper you may have trouble, there is no double glazing and the walls seem to be very thin.

The hotel is right in the middle of the backpacking district of Melbourne (which we didn't know) so it is the less salubrious part of the CBD. It was close to the eateries of Lygon Street which was handy. There is no parking if you have a vehicle and you will need to park in a council carpark. Breakfast was easily the highlight, wholesome, reasonably priced and very welcome after a jarring nights sleep.

Overall, it was a basic room in the lesser part of town. The staff were very helpful but I doubt I will return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business