“Great stay”

Quest Grand Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #63 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2010

After a short walk from the Southern Cross Railway Station, we came upon the entrance to the Grand (entrance was a bit hard to find coming from this direction). We loved the reception area - understated and elegant. We also appreciated being able to sit down and check in and the friendly, efficient manner of the staff. We were a bit disappointed that the doorman was not there and that the revolving door was not working (minor though).

We love the decor and overall feeling of spaciousness throughout. We had booked a 2 bedroom apartment and were very impressed by the size, comfort and decor and also by how well set up it was - had everything we needed. The beds were the most comfortable either of us have ever encountered anywhere we have stayed before - well done! Despite being in the Melbourne CBD area, the apartment was very quiet.

The pool area is very nice - clean and well maintained and we went for a late night swim (very relaxing after a busy day and we appreciated that the pool was available for use until quite late). We had breakfast in the restaurant - small but pleasant with good service and meals and a relaxed atmosphere.

Everything we wanted to see and do in Melbourne was either within easy walking distance or accessable by public transport nearby - we really appreciated this as time was limmited. We also appreciated being able to leave our luggage at the hotel between checking out and leaving Melbourne.

All in all, the Grand was a very good choice and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wished we had more time there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Our stay in a 2 bedroom apartment with our close friends was great, the service we received was excellant, it was great to see it hadn't deteriated since our last visit.
We did not use the restaurant this time as the menu didn't apeal this time, but we did use another of Accor hotels "Mecure on Spring" where we enjoye an enjoyable dinner.
One complaint we did have was the price of parking $30 per day for our 2 day stay, a bit over the top.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
GrandGM, General Manager at Quest Grand Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Dear Past Guest,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. Comments like this really do have a great impact on our team's commitment to impressing every guest. It is very much appreciated and valued. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when next you stay.
Warm regards,
Paul McConville
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed in what was advertised as a studio king room (I am an Accor member). To my surprise room had no writing desk or chair...had to improvise with ironing board & the outdoor metal balcony chair to undertake report I was to complete (found out later that all rooms are advertised with writing desk??). Mentioned my concern about train noise to staff, who said should be OK if your not a real light sleeper & that trains stopped running after a certain time at night. Gave it go, but was woken by trains in early morning (not the best strart for a big day with bisiness meetings). Only 1 outside balcony chair so my partner had to stand. Got totally lost when I used a lift near my room...was told later by staff that I shouldn't use that lift (thanks but too late). The seperate reception desk idea didn't work for me & others as we qued for attention while dodgeing other people coming & going through the foyer b(if you line up behind the wrong desk you could be there for ages). No complaints about the bed & the breakfast and city location. While I might have been just unlucky, I don't think I could take a chance & stay at this hotel again, & based on my experience would feel uncomfortable recommending to ohers. I took the time to fill out the in-house survey, & actually ran out of space when writing my comments (never a good sign)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
GrandGM, General Manager at Quest Grand Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear Past Guest
Thank you for your feedback. We consider it an invaluable tool in helping us to continually improve on the level of service and facilities that we provide.
I am personally extremely disappointed that this element of your stay did not meet our typically high standards. Please do let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when arranging your next stay.
Warm regards
Paul McConville
london
Reviewed October 6, 2010

The first room I was given I discovered was already occupied when I got to it. The second room had windows above head height so I couldn't even look out of them. I was then given a slightly larger room. It may be a question of taste but I found the decorations very dull and the rooms, though reasonably large, depressing. They very much reminded me of student bedsit accommodation back in the sixties, with furniture to match.

The hotel exterior looks very grand but it is in fact converted railway administration offices and is quite soulless inside.

The staff were helpful and pleasant but to my mind this did not make up for the other short comings.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Past Guest

Many thanks for your thoughtful feedback – it is much appreciated by myself and our staff, and I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to them personally. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when you next say.

Warm regards,