“Used to be great” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
“Used to be great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The first time I stayed there a few years ago the room was fantastic, my wife and I stayed last weekend and the first room we had was terrible. The wind was blowing in through the door seals so much that the man hole in the ensuite was bouncing. We went to make a coffee, which wasn't supplied in the room. To find once we ran the tap that it just leaked out into the cupboard below. The room wasn't very clean either, we then asked for another room and had to pay to be upgraded.
The new room was great but the room service was poor, we stayed for two nights, our bed didn't get made and we didn't get new towels. We called for our bed to be made and some new towels, new towels arrived but the bed was never made. Location is great and building is beautiful, but the service we had on our last experience was shocking and both rooms weren't very clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jane C, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Shaun,
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review. It seems on this occasion that we have certainly let ourselves down. As you can see from the other reviews, that this is not our normal standard and attention that we enjoy providing to our valued guests. Please feel free to contact me on h3029-gm2@accor.com and I will certainly endeavour to restore your faith in the Grand Hotel again. We would love to have a second chance.
Kind Regards,
Jane Crawford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Being in an older heritage kind of building, and right next to a major train line, things don't tend to be perfect but this is my 2nd stay here and I've been happy both times.

It certainly feels like somewhere different when you walk down the huge corridors, tall and 3.5 metres wide. Both times I've been in a split level sort of room with the bed and bathroom upstairs on a mezzanine sort of level.

Location is good, even great if like me you are arriving and leaving via the Skybus which is just up the road. Easy to get to trams that go along Flinders, Collins, or Bourke Streets.

This time I was on the side of the train line but I haven't found it to be a problem. Some rooms are even closer and as you can see on some reviews here, it is a problem for some folk. But I think the majority of the rooms are probably fine unless you can't sleep with the slightest noise.

Not the cheapest place in town by any means, but I would stay again if I found another good deal like this time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jane C, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Glennomeister,
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Grand on both occasions. Don't forget to check out www.accorhotels.com for great savings on accommodation at the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The room was great, large, spacious and comfortable. However the sliding bathroom door did not close and neither did the shower screen so we had water all over the floor and no privacy. Jazz night great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear NirmalaR11,
Thank-you for taking the time to give us some feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed our large and spacios rooms, and our jazz night in the bar on Friday nights. However, I am sorry that there were some frustrations with regards to the bathroom screen door. Feel free to contact me on h3029-gm2@accor.com with further details (room number etc) so that I can have this fixed as a matter of urgency.
Thanks again for the feedback!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I didn't stay here, but friends did. I spent time in this hotel in preference to my own.
Apartment room - 2 bedroom, separate bathroom and toilet.
Fully equipped kitchen - oven, fridge, full sink, microwave.
Large lounge area for all. Dining table.
Very large windows looking out on to Spencer street.
Grand, old hotel - appeared recently renovated.
Pool - heated. lift to rooms.
Ate at onsite restaurant.
Good service at both concierge and restaurant.
Staff interested.
Good value for my friends - had accor card.

Room Tip: Great location for most of the city.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear MCC3303,

Thank-you for writing a thorough review on behalf of your friends. I am delighted to hear that they enjoyed the space of our 2 bedroom apartments, the pool and restaurant. I am especially happy that the staff looked after them too.

Thank-you again for your time and we look forward to seeing you all again.

Kind Regards,