“Long walk from entrance to the room”

Quest Grand Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #65 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Bhubaneswar, India
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Five star rated hotels should have a bell desk to help carry luggage. The lobby is disappointing and does not match the hotel name - nothing grand about it.

We had a comfortable stay around new year but wish the hotel had more staff to offer a bell desk service and faster breakfast. Small pool. Huge rooms with kitchen - will stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aditya457
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We loved the history of the building and the way it's been converted into hotel and apartments. Room was very spacious and the bed was just heaven thanks to Accor's usual amazing down mattress topper and pillows. Plumbing was an issue in the toilet unfortunately but it was a minor hiccup. We did have an issue getting into the wrong lift and ending up in the Apartment section and had to go out of the building to get back in to the restaurant for breakfast! Disappointed with breakfast but the service was terrific. You need to ask where to park before you arrive as there is parking but it isn't clear when you get there. Not as flash as the 5 star hotels but very comfortable. Will stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandyheather
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having stayed at this Grand Old Hotel. A wonderful building indeed and suited to those with families.
A little disappointed in regards to the front desk service prior to our leaving. No follow through with a taxi for us to get to the Airport. It was 10.40am before any Taxi's came in which my mother in law was due to fly back to Auckland at 11.50 am. A maxi taxi was ordered at 9.30am in which we were told it would be here with in 15min. Approaching the front desk he realised that the taxi had not arrived and said he would follow through with it. I don;t think he did until panic started to set in. One taxi arrived and with three of us travelling there was no way we were to fit us and our luggage in. Another taxi was hailed down form the roadside. We made it in time with my mother in law having to be escorted through customs and onto the plane. She is 70 years old. We were heading home to Perth and flying out at 12.30pm so had half hour up our sleeve after we checked in. It would have been quicker for myself or my hubby to walk outside and wave a Maxi taxi down.
Also found it strange not to have a washing machine and dryer in our unit and had to pay a $20.00 surcharge when picking up the key from front desk each time I was to use the
laundry and in returning the key having the surcharge removed from my account. All in all it was nice but I don't think I will be staying there again. The place was clean and the staff friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Numurkah, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I loved staying at the Grand on Spencer Street.
Great location and easy to get to.
I would stay again for sure the next time I go to Melbourne.
My room was perfect for me, comfortable and Roomy.
Bathroom a little small cause the door hit the toilet.
Loved the Balcony and the view at night was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kyliek32
Victoria
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The staff here are wonderful. Diego and the housekeeping supervisor deserve special mention.Diego efficiently attended to check in and check out, valet parking a few other queries. It's nice to sit in a chair at a desk for check in and check out. Makes you feel more valued. Myself and three other ladies enjoyed a girls weekend away. We had a 2 bedroom loft room with lots of space. It included a kitchen with oven, microwave and a full size fridge. A dining room and a lounge area with a 3 seater couch and two formal lounge chairs.
The bedroom wardrobes were large with lots of amenities supplied. One Large bathroom with a bath and separate shower. This suite also had a separate laundry and two separate toilets complete with their own basins, one upstairs and one downstairs. The room was clean and tidy. A complimentary bottle of sparkling was sent to the room to celebrate an important birthday, which was appreciated.
The big problem was that I barely slept because the suite was located next to the train line, and the road. The combination of train noise and traffic noise kept me awake. It also didn't help that the two bedrooms had half size walls which allowed the noise in. I should also mention additional glazing as been fitted over the original old building windows, but this was not true double glazing.
After our stay and checking out I realized I left my phone charger in the room. The housekeeping supervisor rang me to advise they couldn't locate the charger, but very kindly offered a substitute for me.
This is excellent, professional service, it is just a shame about the noise. If you don't mind noise, it's a centrally located excellent choice, complete with enclosed heated pool and spa. Situated next to the Southern Cross railway station, and Spencer Street, in the thick of the city action very close to Crown casino and Southbank. We had a great late dinner on Colonial Tramcar restaurant just two blocks away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Spencer Street. Even though it has street noise it would be better than being...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having admired this hotel from the outside for some time (it is located in the old Victorian Railways building on Spencer Street), I was looking forward to seeing what this hotel would have to offer.
While the check-in was hassle free, friendly and fast, upon entering the room I was immediately disappointed. The room had an overall feeling of tiredness - the carpet seemed faded, the kitchenette contained appliances that would have been 10 years old, the entertainment system was basic at best. The only thing I could not fault about the room would be the bed - it was huge and incredibly comfortable.
I managed to get a great special through Accor, but even this didn't improve my overall experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple