Georgian Court Bed & Breakfast Guest House
Ranked #16 of 24 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Tired, cramped, dirty, dingy. Hand basin in bathroom as there is no room for a proper wash basin. A shower that runs hot then cold then hot again, without touching the taps. We chose it as our place to stay because it is close to the MCG, and it turns out that really all it has going for it.
As for breakfast the cooked element consists of sausage, beans, and boiled eggs. On two occasions I asked for two fried eggs and a pleasant young waitress kindly obliged. However on the third occasion, when the waitress wasn't there I was advised by someone I now know to be known elsewhere in these reviews as the "Dragon Lady" told me politely that they don't do fried eggs. When I explained that they had been provided on the two previous mornings I was told vehemently that I was mistaken and that they NEVER provide fried eggs.
So there you have it; a cooked breakfast that does not include either bacon or fried eggs, yet described by others as an excellent breakfast!
The Dragon Lady can be pleasant as she was both on our arrival and departure, but don't cross her, better still find somewhere else to stay in Melbourne, the MCG is easy to get too from many parts of the city.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DandBUK

Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed at Georgian Court for 2 nights and did not think it was good value for money. To be fair we let our travelling companions choose the venue but now wish we had made our own travel arrangements. The location is all it has going for it. We could have stayed in a 5 star hotel for a last minute rate for what we paid for this accommodation. A tiny bathroom, a room that had seen much better days, poor lighting, etc etc. we were not even allowed to sit in the 'lounge' area after 7pm.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ifonlyicould
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This small B&B hotel is within a stroll of good restaurants, Melbourne's prime sporting facilities, & a delightful 15 min walk to the central business district through Fitzroy Gardens. Host Erin and John seem to think your comfort is the most important thing in their life. Good breakfast, quiet and safe neighbourhood, why stay anywhere else ?

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I needed a quiet place to stay for one night. On calling in advance to ask about the level of traffic, I was told by an officious woman that "they had never had any complaints." I wish I had checked Tripadvisor beforehand as I see that there's a litany of complaints about the noise here. When I got to my room, I realized it backed on to a tram line. The room practically vibrated with screeching, rumbling tram noise every 5 minutes. After 20 minutes, I packed up and vacated the room. The same woman at the front desk curtly refused my request for a partial refund, even though (a) I had stayed for less than 30 minutes and (b) she had pretty much lied about the noise level. There's ambient city noise and then there's ear-splitting, headache-inducing noise. I tried to explain this to her and she cut me off, telling me "it's the city, what do you expect." Something really bad must have happened in this woman's life to make her so miserable and rude. She should really be in a job that doesn't involve interacting with others.

My final word of advice? Stay instead at the Magnolia Court. It's right around the corner from the Georgian, and it's cheaper, charming, friendly and exceedingly quiet.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank sandykane
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We had a party to attend in the city, rather than drive over an hour home, we decided to stay at the Georgian Court. The location is excellent just walk around the corner to the tram stop, which takes you into the CBD. We stayed in Room 26 and as this is the back room, we did hear the trams and the trains, however, I think this adds to the city feel....the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom clean. The room is rather small so if you are planning a longer stay, maybe look elsewhere. If you are looking for a stopover with a very nice continental breakfast and value for money the Georgian Court is great. There is also free onsite parking, albeit a tight squeeze.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2010

If you're looking for some personal hospitality, a great location, interaction with other guests and a building with character, then Georgian Court Bed and Breakfast is for you.
This isn't going to be the equivalent of staying at a top 5 star hotel as the building is a little tired but I honestly don't have any complaints about our 3 night stay here.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Staying at Georgian Court is not like a "box of chocolates" more like a patchwork of lighty and dark colours- good and bad experiences.

On the first day I arrived it was about 9.45am and I sat down for a relaxing cup of coffee with my sisters who had stayed overnight. At 9.50am a very officious woman stomped over to our table and with the prickliness of an echidna said "don't you know that breakfast finishes at 9.30 and it's now 10 to 10!!!!!

At this my sister rightly said "Do you want us to leave now" Echidna or as we nicknamed her "dragon lady" said "I'm just letting you know for future reference" but the damage was already done and we felt like chastised school children who had broken rule number#1...............oh no we thought is this grounds for instant expulsion!

Thankfully the other staff members we encountered were not related to dragon lady and appeared to be from a more friendly species.

It's a beautiful building, attention to detail in the furnishings and a lovely healthy breakfast makes it worthwhile to stay here. As long as you can put up with being chastised if you break the rules!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family