“Nice experience”

Ranked #3 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

We had a two night stay in early August, having traded some frequent flyer points for the stay. Excellent, fast check-in, our room ready early. The room was large, clean & comfortable, decorated in an older style opulent style. We had a great view of the river and city. The room was quiet, the bed was comfy and the bath deep, plenty of hot water at good pressure. Room service b'fast was good, arrived hot & on time. Wide screen TV was great but the picture was not in the widescreen format, can't understand that one

• Liked — Classy
  • Disliked — The Casino
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Aussiguys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

We went into Crown Towers expecting this to be the best hotel in Melbourne.

The manner of the staff is very airline check-in "next please" The Hotel has a Grand entrance which is impressive thou a little dated - not by much thou

Things move efficiently, bags arrive on time, cars get taken away and parked.

The Delxue Room was a little disappointing for the amount of money being paid, alot of emphasis is on the bathroom and the changing room. Basically you get a long hotel room with no width which I found a little disappointing. The design could be more open and functional.

I find it important to find a comfortable climate within a hotel room when sleeping. This was difficult with Crowns Airconditioning system. It was either too hot or too cold...so overall Im not sure whether I will return.

Stayed August 2007
Yanchep, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

wave stayed in crown towers on 3 occasions this year, twice in a standard room once in a suite, the staff very friendly and there is certainly plenty to do. buffet breakfast 10/10

• Disliked — carpet in lift lobby level 9 needs changed too worn for a 5 star hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is the second time we have stayed here, courtesy of a gift voucher.

It is a lovely treat to enjoy the gorgeous room with spectacular views (and enormous tv), huge bathroom (with tv at the foot of the bath) and be so close to restaurants, theatre and other attractions.

If you are going to splurge, you won't be disappointed - the staff attentiveness and professionalism is faultless.

The buffet breakfast in the Conservatory restaurant in the atrium is just about the best I've eaten at - the variety is mind-boggling. My tip - use a small plate each time you go up. Then you'll be able to try a few small "courses" and not explode at the end!

I probably wouldn't pay full price for this experience, but as a gift, or a once-off treat this hotel does "exclusive" very well.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Can't do it regularly at the price!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank flossyfizzdog
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed for only one night in a spa room. Check-in was fast, the room was lovely. Close to all shops in Melbourne. The only thing dissapointing was after dinner my husband decided to take a spa dip. After filling up and turning it on we noticed a black discharge from the jets. We called housekeeping and they were in our bathroom for over an hour trying to clean the tub, filling, emptying and re-filling it using a chemical cleaner. I eventually got fed up and asked to speak with management. To cut a long story short they moved us to another much bigger room which was gorgeous. But by that time it was 1am and we were too tired to enjoy it. So we jumped in the spa for while and went straight to bed. The next morning we left early due our warehouse being robbed! (what a night!) and sympathetic staff at check-out promised to send us our breakfast vouchers, which never happened. Anyway a great hotel despite this, but overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JettingOff
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

We recently returned from three nights at the Crown Towers in Melbourne. We were looking for a luxury mini break during our school holidays and we based our decision to stay here mainly on previous reviews.

I spoke directly with the hotel and booked a two bedroom suite, the most expensive room in the hotel, we received a rate of $1200 a night. The reservations lady assured me all the views were great and that there were three plasma TVs and that play station was available for the children to use as much as they wanted. She also told me there was a bowling alley in the complex as well as laser zone. More on this later.

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30pm. Admittedly 1.5hrs before official check in time. We were told the room was not yet ready and they would ring us as soon as it was. We asked an approx time, she said about 1 - 1.5hr. Offical check in was at 2.00pm. We decided to wander around and have some lunch. By 3.00pm we had still not had word, we made our way back to the hotel to find out what was going on. We had been up since 6.00am and just wanted to freshen up and enjoy our very expensive room! We were told yet again that it was still not ready, the young man was apologetic and asked if we wished access to the Crystal room for drinks, I declined saying all I wanted was access to our room. I asked for the duty manager who turned up and said he would check the room which he did. He then asked us if we wanted a bottle of champagne or wine as compensation. I am sorry but a cheap bottle of wine does not compensate for waiting over 1.5hrs beyond the check in time. I felt funny answering the question, it should not have been asked as far as I am concerned, it should have been automatically done, champagne and chocolates and an apology note. I replied what we really wanted was a late check out on the Thursday to make up for the time we had been kept waiting. He thought there would not be a problem with this.

We went to our room and were still kept waiting a further 20 minutes for our bags, it was nearly 4 o'clock.

Finally they turned up and we began to investigate the room. Certainly the furnishing were pleasant enough, large spacious rooms and bathrooms all very clean and well maintained. The view however left a lot to be desired, it overlooked building sites complete with cranes and old warehouse looking buildings. Not quite was I was led to believe. My son turned on the TV to discover the play station was pay only, at $20 per hour. Call me naive but this was not what I was led to believe. When someone is selling the features of the room and in the same sentence tells me there are TVs in every room and playstation for as long as you like, with no mention of payment, I understand that to be part of the package. Apparently not. We voiced our concern and were given an amount of credit to use.

We all wanted a cup of tea, but alas, even though it was a suite for 4, there were only 2 cups. The turn down staff arrived and I asked for additional clean cups please. We were left with one clean and she left the two dirty. hmm.

The internet connection also kept dropping out and one pays for a 24 hr period. This was annoying for my husband trying to do business.

One afternoon we decided to go to the Galatic Circus, ie the pin ball parlour place with the ten pin bowling and laser zone. The bowling alley had just been closed the day before for five weeks for renovations and the laser zone was booked for a private function. Another unsuccessful attempt at enjoying ourselves. Not that it was critical but surely the reservation staff should not be selling faciilites that are closed, they should have been made aware and made mention when we booked that the bowling was unavailable.

At no time during our stay did we receive a phone call asking if everything was OK and no complementary apology gift ever arrived.

I don't know what rooms you had to book to receive a butler and the champagne and chocies previous reviewers have mentioned!

The whole delayed start and lack of finesse really annoyed me, this was meant to be something really special. We were never made to feel special at all, the hotel was packed and they really couldn't have cared less. I would never stay here again and would not recommend it to others. Maybe you are just better off with a "basic" room. Forget the suite, definately not worth the huge $$$. Ok, you book into a casino then you should expect a bit of tacky in the decor, well you certainly get that in the foyer!!

I will try somewhere else next time. Very disappointing.

• Liked — having two separate bedrooms
  • Disliked — delays / lack of interest
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank pipk
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Towers Melbourne for a week in a beautiful suite on the 8th floor with access to the Crystal Room the seperate check in area is great and we were treated like VIP's. The suite was breathtaking we had a view over to St Kilda Beach and Port Phillip Bay. The lounge was a modern the auto blinds and drapes were novel. The bedroom was huge bigger than the lounge room and the bathroom was enourmous with a spa bath with views to the bay. Our wardrobe was the size of a small bedroom .I was surprised that they had no dining area as the suite was so big. We had our own butler he was nice and respectful and helpful. I think we paid about $1000 per night but it was well worth the money. The breakfast in the Crystal room was the same every morning which was a bit disappointing after a week your sort of over the hard bacon and eggs but the view is wonderful. They also have private saloons on this level where you could dine in private or have a meeting there is also a small library of books and when i used this area they made me cappuchinos and brought me biscuits. The private entrance was nice. The bar was well stocked the food was OK but we've had better and worse. The room had fresh flowers beautiful books lovely linen large plasma screen & stereo. I went to the spa and had a few treatments and I loved this area the staff were freindly and the treatment room was floor to ceiling marble just amazing. The hairdressers was also good they did a great job and they don't overbook so you have your hairdresser the whole time (no sharing) I didn't use the pool but it looked beautiful and extremely large. There is a seperate lift from the pool area for the private suites. I would recommend this hotel and we will be going back next year.

Stayed July 2007