“luxury one night stay”

Crown Towers Melbourne
Ranked #3 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We live near Melbourne and wanted a special night away for our family. Stayed in the deluxe twin standard room on 24th floor. We had views of Federation Square and the Yarra. Very happy with our room, luxury furnishings, beautiful large bathroom with separate sections for shower and toilet, very comfortable bedding. We enjoyed the gorgeous indoor pool which was not crowded at all either in the afternoon, late evening or the next morning. Overall a lovely atmosphere, stunning hotel, gorgeous indoor pool.

Room Tip: plenty of room for one-night family stay in deluxe twin room, great size bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,426)

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is our second visit to Crown Towers but this time we had access to the Crystal Club which is definitely worth doing. However a bit disappointed that evening cocktails are limited to a choice of 4-5 and if you want just a Martini they aren't able to oblige!

Our room had an excellent view and was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very luxurious complete with TV over the bath. There was ample amenities and the soft slippers and dressing gown was very welcome. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and you couldn't hear too much noise. Breakfast in the Club was good but I was surprised that there were guests in their dressing gowns allowed in. I guess I am used to a dress code for Club areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy56Melbourne
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at Crown to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our stay was in the Tower Suite as we had two of our children with us. The suite was outstandingly beautiful and I cannot fault it. We still had privacy from our bedroom as the children's bedroom was past our bathroom, through the lounge room, through the dining room and then to their room. I have read many reviews on TripAdvisor saying that the furniture and decor are dated, however that was not our experience at all. I believe the suite may have even had brand new carpet as there were the little cut pieces left that are difficult to get rid of after new carpet has been laid. It was also spotlessly clean. I tried to book the room for two nights, however it was booked the next night. In fact we could not get accommodation the next night at all for the four of us as Crown Towers was totally booked out. Next time I shall have to book earlier! From the moment you pull up to the valet parking you are met with great service. I would not want to be waiting there for a cab though as there was often a line waiting for more cabs. I do not believe this to be a Crown problem though, I think that is out of their control ;) We had room service for the four of us and it was outstanding. Again, I have read negative reviews on TA re same, however that was not our experience at all. The dedicated check in on Level 3 is very welcome and appropriate when spending this much on a room.
The few downsides we came across (maybe some out of Crown's control?):
1. When paying around $1600 for a room for a single night, I find it incredulous that you can not book in before 2 or 3 and then have to be out by 11. It's such an Australian thing and has not been my experience during my recent trip throughout the USA. I (apparently incorrectly) added a late checkout of 1pm to my booking for $100 but was called the next day to advise that it was not available on that room type. Seriously Crown, for $1600 a night plus paying an extra $100 for a late checkout, I think you can do better. I am sure the room cost plus the extra $100 would more than cover sending housekeeping to service the room between 1 and 3 when the next people checked in. I really would expect a bit more when paying that for a room for a night.
2. The Crystal Club for breakfast - whilst I appreciate that Crown attracts and retains a high Asian-base of clients, I really would expect the staff in the Crystal Club to speak better English. This hotel is, after all, located in an English speaking country. For example, our waitress at breakfast could not understand the following at all, a. "Do you have crumpets"? (no idea at all what crumpets were, even when we showed her that it was printed on the toaster); b. "Do you have an egg station?" (no idea and a lengthy explanation needed to ensue to explain); c. "May I please have the porridge?" (off the a la carte menu - again no idea - kept offering us orange juice instead). I think this could be done so much better.
I managed to order soft-boiled eggs from the non-existent egg station. They arrived and the white of the egg was still clear. I was very surprised at this from a 5 star hotel/restaurant. I would have thought that would be one of the first things learned in a chef's apprenticeship. After three people coming to try and work out what was wrong with the eggs, I gave up and asked them not to redo the order. I was not confident there would be a different outcome.
The coffee I ordered and the hot chocolate my wife ordered were both barely warm. My son's pot of tea was perfect. Having waited for around 10-15 minutes for the coffee in a not even half full restaurant, this was surprising. Although they offered to replace the undercooked eggs, no such offer was made to replace my wife's and my hot drinks. We were really surprised at this. There was no apology either. Again, 5 star - I expected much better. So many places are judged on the quality of the coffee. It was lovely tasting, but no where near warm enough.
The porridge never arrived and we gave up on it and went back to our room to pack up in order to leave on time. I will say, however, that the quality of all the other food on offer was sublime.
3. Please encourage those guests with small children to use a swim nappy for their children - maybe even provide them for the children and make it mandatory for small children to wear them. A small child defecated in the pool so of course it had to be shut down and cleaned appropriately. We were offered, and took up, the offer of a shuttle to the Crown Metropol to use their pool. Having stayed at that hotel previously and knowing their pool is beautiful we went. What a nightmare. There were about 40-50 children in there bombing, running, jumping, splashing and I think there may have been about two of those small groups of children being actually supervised by their parents. Yes, sure, have fun kids, but not at the expense of all the other guests. We couldn't even get a seat in the spa. It was full of kids. Maybe the Metropol could put on a pool deck supervisor? I know it shouldn't be necessary, however, it's my experience in 5 star hotels that the few privileged guests who have an over-inflated sense of entitlement ruin it for others. This could be overcome by a staff member supervising, even if only in really busy times. Staff acknowledged this when we signed in saying, "You've come at peak hour".
Conclusion - I love Crown Towers. Sometimes though, you just think, "...if they just attended to 'these' few and often small things, this place could be outstanding". Especially when you are paying over a thousand dollars a night. I would like to return. However, honestly,right now I am really thinking that I may just try out the other five star hotels in Melbourne that we've not tried as yet. My wife and I frequently have a mini-break in the Melbourne CBD at a great hotel. We probably will end up going back to Crown Towers at some point, however, I think in the coming weeks we'll check out the competition in Melbourne and see if they can get those 'little things' that you pay for in a 5 star hotel right. Crown missed the mark on this on this occasion. Interestingly, we went to Lorne the day after and stayed in 4 star accommodation and did not experience any problems of Crown's there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HaleyMelbourne
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Despite a few glitches my stay between 16-19/9/13 was great. Three of the four duty managers were outstanding in assisting me when I raised an issue. I was extremely please to receive an upgrade to a junior suite. I would seek that room again as it was lovely (room 1925). The room service was exceptional, and FAST! I ate in house and avoided the overpriced restaurants below as the food in-house was great. The Conservatory was incredible. A very delicious breakfast for under 40 AUD. All staff very good. The pool is extremely clean. I do think a few extra spa facilities would be good. The beauty spa is beautifully appointed. The aqua retreat is great if empty. The treatment I had was disappointing but the manager more than made up for it. As a treat I would go back next time. Overall this is a great higher end hotel. It caters well for business travellers and tourists. The duty managers are great and actually listen. I think they understand that travellers can be become weary and small things become big. I would certainly recommend this hotel as the best of its type in Melbourne and that it receive the recognition its management deserves.

Room Tip: I prefer city views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Angie R
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent 4 nights at Crown Towers & decided we like the Tower best of the three Crown choices. Not surprising it is the dearest but also the best. We had some initial check-in dramas due to old preferences on our profile but they sorted it out for us & moved us to a better room from day 2
The bell desk service staff were terrific & the service was pretty good throughout
Enjoyed the variety of the buffet breakfasts & the first two mornings being weekdays were fairly quiet & easy to navigate. The variety of restaurants around Crown is excellent. We tried to book Rockpool but could not get in so opted for Japanese & went to Koko. Being teppanyaki fans we had a fantastic meal with one of the highlights being the abalone which was to die for.
I must admit that I am a committed Crown fan & yes I do utilise the casino

Room Tip: If staying for a few nights avoid the lower floors as the outlook is not great-usually over car park...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Spent 2 nights there in a Deluxe King Room. The quality of the bed, Linen and amenities was excellent with plenty of little extras to make the stay enjoyable. The area in the Hotel area is very clean and the slightest mark is quickly attended to. The check in staff were very helpful but the only slight complaint was that papers that were ordered did not arrive. Apart from that small quibble an excellent stay

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I got taken to the Crown Towers as a treat for my birthday. After we checked in, we decided to chill around the pool before the evening festivities. The pool is indoors, and very nice. However, there is no pool side service. You are not allowed glass around the pool - which is fair enough, but I find it very hard to believe that I am their only guest who would have liked to enjoy a drink while relaxing by the pool. It is a no go.
We stayed in a suite and the view was gorgeous. Everything about the suite was lovely!
Breakfast was OK. Not amazing but certainly had worse. I know we got the suite at a big discount, so I am not sure it would be worth full price, but we had a lovely stay and I would recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple