“Overall very good, but let down in service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers Melbourne

Crown Towers Melbourne
Ranked #3 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
“Overall very good, but let down in service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just arrived home from a 2 night stay at Crown Towers Melbourne. The hotel are surrounds are exquisite. We had booked 2 interconnecting rooms, and received 2 rooms on level 20. The rooms are fantastic and the bathrooms deserve a special mention. They are extremely spacious and the added touch of a tv next to the bath is great. Beds are comfortable, however a little on the harder side. If you prefer a softer bed, it may be problematic. We really loved the pool area, it is wonderful. You are required to sign in, however once inside all your cares drift away. Food and drink inside the complex is very pricey (especially when buying for 4). Service overall was average. All housekeeping staff were lovely and greeted you regularly. My experience though with the concierge was disappointing to say the least. I approached him to make a dinner booking for us that same evening. I asked for a particular time to suit our family needs. He advised that the restaurant we wanted was not open at that time (even though I had just walked past their front door and saw their operating hours on it, hence why I asked for that time). He then proceeded to tell me that I was wrong and that he should know. I did not feel the need to argue with him so I walked around to the restaurant in question and made the booking myself. His attitude was poor, and he looked down on me as though I did not deserve his time. A very poor experience and thus individual needs to be reminded he's the concierge of crown and not the CEO. Overall, the experience was good at crown however my interactions with the concierge left a very sour taste in my mouth. If he needs great service training, Crown should send him to look at the way the Langham Hotel staff in the club lounge act. They have it down pat over there. Ordered room service dessert and the French crepes were disgusting. They were hard and extremely unpleasant. You expect more for $19 per serve. Overall a good stay let down by a few small issues.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Newyfamily
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers Melbourne, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While overall it was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the room and pool to your liking, I was concerned to read of your experience with our Concierge and would welcome the chance to discuss this further with you.

Please feel free to contact myself or the Duty Manager on (03) 9292 8888.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cairns
Crown Towers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We booked the experience package thru wot if and it was great value. We had a king suite with views across the bay, comfy bed and robes and wonderful bathroom with bath and tv. Complimentary champers was lovely and we were lucky enough to get an upgrade from a king deluxe to a king suite. The service was impeccable, a must stay!

• Stayed March 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

WOW this is a terrific place to stay, the rooms are generous and quiet, beds so so comfy with choices of pillows. The location is terrific and the whole complex is monstrous. The staff at check in checkout, room service, service cleaning staff were all so polite and helpful and even when we went into the Club Lounge in error we were still treated with courtesy. Well recommended. Room service food couldn't be faulted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Gambier, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here for the first time, in a villa, and it was exceptional.
Great staff, beautiful decor, crystal club breakfast was lovely. We only ventured out once, opting to make the most of our gorgeous rooms and room service.
Our villa was complete with beautiful bedroom, dining, lounge, stocked bar, sensational bathroom with spa and steamroom. We could not have asked for a more beautiful room. The only negative experience was a terrible visit to Number8 restaurant in the complex (see separate review). We will be back :)

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nerang, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel always impresses, this is about the 4th time I have stayed and was delivered the usual high service experience. The room was spotless, amazing view and very comfy sleep. Location is fabulous as we were attending different venues around melbourne - this was central to everything.

Room Tip: 1507 has a view of the river and city skyline.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I wanted to share with you all a recent experience I had at Crown Towers Melbourne. The hotel was fine - a good experience there. Though as I am sure you will all agree one bad experience and a lack of customer service can really contribute to a bad memory all round.

Below is a copy of the 2nd email I wrote l last week regarding an experience I had at Crown Spa. I have not had any response from Crown at all - sad to say I won't return for that reason alone. I am more than happy to pay the $$ for a great experience but there is nothing worse than feeling 'ripped off'.

"Dear Crown Spa - I recently stayed at your hotel and during my stay had a pedicure. I cannot say it was a bad experience but it certainly was not a $150 experience. There was a group of four of us booked and I secured myself the last pedicure booking on the Saturday afternoon. When hearing it was $150 I did think this was excessive pricing but thought it would be an amazing treat and an experience I certainly would not have had before.

It was very disappointing.

The pedicure experience itself was no better than the usual pedicure AND manicure I pay $40 for. I bought in my own polish as a 'just in case' but found myself needing to use it due to lack of selection of colors anyway. The girl who worked on me was lovely but the polish was very unevenly painted and very washed out in sections.

As mentioned at the start of this email - I knew of the price and was prepared to pay this for the luxurious five star experience I was hoping to have but it was very disappointing to really just receive a standard pedicure that I could have received at any salon in Melbourne.

I would appreciate a response as this is the second email I have written."

And again it has been another 5 days and no response. Five star experience? I don't think so...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers Melbourne, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

I too am disappointed to read not only of your experience with the Spa but then the lack of follow up on our part in response to your feedback.

I understand that our Director of Spas has now been in contact with you and the issues have been addressed.

I appreciate your patience and am glad that you enjoyed the hotel experience otherwise.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cairns
Crown Towers
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our fourth stay at Crown Towers and as usual we were highly impressed. Even a standard room is gorgeous with the highest quality fixtures and fittings and everything in excellent working order. The staff are well trained and attentive.
The standard and variety of restaurants and eateries within the Crown complex is excellent.
I could only find one fault with our stay this time. The water pressure was rather bad. It took a very long time to fill the bath and the shower was less than exhilarating.
Otherwise a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business