“A 3 STAR HOTEL THAT GETS 5 STAR REVIEWS” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Towers Melbourne

Crown Towers Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
“A 3 STAR HOTEL THAT GETS 5 STAR REVIEWS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the hotel while visiting Australia in conjunction with the promotion of my new book on teamwork (which draws lessons from the Sydney to Hobart Race). I just come from a wonderful experience at the Park Hyatt in Sydney, and was expecting a something similar in Melbourne.

My wife and I were met at the reception desk by a young woman who explained that, as we were privileged members of the "Crystal Club," she would escort us upstairs to a special check-in service. On the way up, the receptionist shared that she was overworked, and was escorting us to the Crystal Club as a way of taking a break.

During our special check-in, I raised a question about the Crown Towers policy of charging $25 per device for wireless access. As my wife and I have a number of devices, this added some $100/night to the cost of the room. The new receptionist indicated that she would check with her supervisor, and that he would contact me to discuss the charge. He did.

The charges for extra device were annoying, but they were nothing compared to the brusque, unfriendly call I received from the receptionist's supervisor. With an abrupt tone bordering on rudeness, his message was clear: "Take it or leave it, that's what the competition does." I was astounded that the call was devoid of the slightest concern for customer service, but there were more surprises to come.

As someone who studies teamwork, I was struck by the stark contrast between the staff at Crown Towers and what I saw during our previous stay in Sydney. Things weren't perfect at the Park Hyatt, yet I left feeling that the staff cared about their guests, and they were a cohesive team. At the Crown Towers I saw an overworked collection of people -- some trying their best, but hardly a team.

Curious about what others thought, I looked at the reviews on TripAdvisor. I was astonished to find hundreds of 4 and 5 star reviews. People raved about things like the flimsy white rug in the bathroom, the worn, dirty white rugs in the bedroom, or the crystal lights by the sink. I don't know if the reviews were concocted, or if they were genuine reviews by people who are dazzled by chrome -- or, perhaps, have never stayed at a really good hotel. But there were only a few people (28) who shared my perception that this is an average hotel. A small number (16) rated it as poor, and some (9) thought it was terrible. I vote with the 28: this is an average, but highly overrated hotel.

I found the General Manager, Andrew Cairns, on LinkedIn and decided to share my experience in an email. I didn’t expect anything to change, but I was curious to hear his response. I didn’t get any, but the effort wasn’t wasted. I'm confident that I can use these two diverse experiences in Australian hotels as informative case studies for my next book.

In the meantime, I don’t expect anything to change at the Crown Towers. I’m writing this review only to warn others who may not be so blinded by chrome that they can overlook poor service and faux elegance

Room Tip: Try the Sofitel or the Park Hyatt.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Dennis P
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers Melbourne, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Dennis,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay at Crown Towers. I appreciate the fact that you wished to make contact with myself via LinkedIn, however I have been away from the Hotel hence my inability to respond.

I certainly take note of your comments, especially those around the level of service provided by our staff and the impression this has left. As you mention yourself, we receive large amounts of unsolicited positive feedback regarding the high levels of service and attention to detail which we pride ourselves on and so to read your comments obviously concerns me and I assure you that your comments will be addressed.

You mention you do not expect anything to change at Crown Towers, however I can assure you your feedback will be taken on board so that we are able to make positive changes and confirm many of the great experiences our other guests have previously had and continue to enjoy.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to Crown Towers again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Cairns
Crown Towers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Crown towers is simply stunning! After visiting its neighbouring property, the crown metropol, my partner and I loved the towers even more. Housekeeping does an award winning job. The rooms are beautifully appointed with some wonderful views of the city. The bed is extremely comfortable and the sheets very soft. The facilities are fantastic and include a 5* pool, tennis court and gym. You just can’t go wrong staying at the towers! Melbourne is on your door step and everything is within walking distance.

Only down side would be our check in experience with an Indian staff member who nodded but didn’t really listen to our requests. I would have expected a greater attention to detail and customer service quality at crown, especially considering we upgraded our room type because a non smoking room was un available when we arrived at 4pm.

Surprisingly, the most friendly and genuinely warm staff were in fact the cleaners. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The views of the city are stunning, and the rooms are gorgeous. Agree with noddy that it is a well worth it total indulgence. We are American, and our Australian friends had warned us that service in Australia is not nearly as good as in America. While we noticed that other places in Melbourne, the Crown Towers went above and beyond, and they really took care of everyone. It is right on top of the Melbourne riverside "fire" show, so on the hours at night, don't get scared by the giant fire breathing towers!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bacchus Marsh Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Every year we are the given a Crown Package by some wonderful people we know.
Package includes Valet Parking, Bottle of Sparkling Wine, Accommodation and Breakfast in the Conservatory.
This hotel is perfectly located and everything one can want is that their finger tips.
Rooms are furnished right up to the minute with state of the art appliances including big TV.
Though with so much going on around you not much time for TV.

Conservatory has been done up to allow more light in and has a very relaxed feel.
The full breakfast was excellent. Parking both dropping off and collecting was seamless.
High recommend this fine establishment.
As I said it is a total indulgence.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ulverstone, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have stayed at Crown Towers previously for both work and leisure.
When deciding where to stay in Melbourne for our wedding anniversary we knew Crown Towers was it.
Stayed in an Executive Suite for 5 nights.
We could not complain about anything.
We used the spa, the pool and several of the restaurants.
Great hotel, great facilities, great location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at crown towers for a convention (hardware) for 3 nights am an sceptic when it comes to casino hotels but for me this was a revelation and especially for Australia it was clean rooms are stunning service brilliant I hope they get the new casino in Sydney would make a huge leap in class

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I had previously had a great stay here with my husband. This time I took my 16 year old daughter for a one night birthday stay on a week night in early January.
We arrived at 1.30pm, our room( deluxe twin), was not yet ready. They offered to text us when it was ready, or said we could return at 2pm. I told the girl at check in that the twin beds were not essential and we would take a king room if available, but she assured me the room would be ready soon.
We returned just before 3pm, very polite gentleman apologised, room still not ready. He offered a late check out the next day, but we had a morning appointment and couldn't make use of this. After more discussion he found us a king room that was available.
The rooms here are lovely, beautiful bathroom, very comfortable bed and spotlessly clean. It was one of Melbourne's very hot days and the air conditioning was very effective. We discovered that the amenities box in the bathroom was virtually empty, it contained only one item, but a call to housekeeping fixed this. I used the gym and it was excellent, very well equipped.
During the evening we watched a movie and ordered room service. The food took around half an hour and my daughter's beef burger was fine. However my chicken burger was not cooked, the thicker parts of the chicken fillet were raw in parts. I was very disappointed, at close to $30 I had expected good food, and I felt that was completely unacceptable. I have no doubt that it would have been replaced if I had requested, but it was late, we were tired and we didn't want to wait any longer.
Overall I was not impressed. My daughter enjoyed herself, which was the purpose of the trip, but I did not consider this stay nearly as impressive as my previous one. Yes, the rooms are lovely, but the service was not great. A few days later my husband and I spent a night at the Sofitel, and all aspects were faultless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family