“It'a hostel NOT an hotel !”
Review of Hotel Claremont

Hotel Claremont
Ranked #109 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Positive things: Good location, friendly staff, clean floor, clean toilets, free wifi, breakfast, 24 hours tea, coffee and filtred water.

Negative things: No lift, small room.
Ask for a quiet room, not on Toorak road!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Brujita1304
There are newer reviews for Hotel Claremont

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here during the Grand Prix, for which it was ideally located (10 minutes walk from Albert park).
The rooms are as basic as you can get and very small but perfectly suitable for the price.
Bathrooms were nice and clean. Staff were very friendly and we got 500mb of free wifi during our stay.
Didn't make it to breakfast unfortunately.
If you're looking for somewhere nice and cheap and not bothered about extras, this is a great place to stay,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul A
Reviewed March 29, 2013

As this was my first 2 nights in Australia I've chosen private room to fight with jet lag alone - so this might affect my rating. This and the fact that it was about 30 degrees Celsius during those nights. And as the room is pretty small with a fan constantly going (better a fan, than nothing) - it was really hot and stuffy. I don't really understand why this is a "hotel", because it's rather a "hostel" - I believe it's just to have a nice name. Building looks nice, staircase looks great - rooms could look at least a bit like it...
For a plus towels were included. Breakfast was ok - the usual: cereals + toasts + coffee. WiFi connection as other guests mentioned is poor. But apparently it is slightly better at 3 AM (when you're awake ecause of jet lag)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed in the bunk bed room. There isn't a lot to it but it is perfect if you only want the accomodation to sleep in after exploring all day. The bathrooms were always free meaning no awkward waiting for other people. The WiFi struggled to work most of the time but it was no problem as we were out most of the day anyway. The fan in the room is great. The staff were all very helpful and the location was fantastic. 5 minute walk to the tram and train stop. If you're in the area make sure you check out Fiesta. Great mexican food.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A pretty convenient place near bars and right next to a train station. As an old hotel it has much nicer hallways/reception than the average backpackers. The staff are pretty professional. The bathrooms clean and tidy. The dorm rooms have a nice TV but are pretty small. It us generally quiet.

They advertise 'free wifi' but in reality then is virtually no wifi. This means you can get a signal, but you can't do much with it. When you do get a sliver of bandwidth- which I managed to measure on two occasions as 136kb/s, it is pathetically slow and the signal is soon lost.

I ended up using $10 for data on my phone, and others I spoke to also had given up on the wifi and went to Internet cafes as it 'wasn't worth the frustration'.

Management will say use the lobbby area because it is a hotspot. It is not a hotspot. That is where I measured the wifi, often lost the signal and a simple google search could take more than a minute to get just to the results page, if you were lucky. More likely it would time out. If you are lucky you might be able to check your email but not much else. if this is 'free wifi' then one piece of cold toast is 'free breakfast'.

The management seem to be using a third party to provide this pathetic service. Really poor choice by management who are no doubt aware of the problems but continue to boast 'free wifi' as they know many, like me, would go elsewhere if they knew the truth.

To the management- get your act together and put a wifi router on every floor so everyone can get a good connection and decent service in their rooms. Sure, it will probably cost you $2000, but you will no doubt save money in the long run. Otherwise, be honest and say you don't have wifi, or maybe 'intermittent unreliable extremely slow free wifi- in the lobby only'.

Considering wifi is not included, the real price of a bed in a dorm room is around $50- too expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank AtomantCancun
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My mates and I decided to stay here for the weekend of the 2013 Formula 1 racing as we were trying to keep the price down of our weekend away from family. For the price - it's pretty good.

My thoughts - if you don't want to spend a heap of time in your room and your planning to get out a lot, all you really need is a bed and a shower. The 2 bunk bed room we got (for 4 adults) was clean, had good Sleep maker mattresses, a small iron wardrobe and a tv in it. The room was very small however but fit our luggage in it.

The ditsy day we were here Melbourne reached 29 degrees. So the accommodation (room) was bloody hot. It didn't cool all night as there is only steel fans in the room and the windows only open vertically about 4 inches. So the lads and I found it very hard to cool.

Showers and toilets are communal - so they aren't in your room. However, they are relatively new, always cleaned and have an abundance of hot water. I was impressed.

Staff were really good. 500mb of data for you on arrival and a vast array of restaurants float by. I would like to recommend the Mexican food just a couple of doors down - incredible feed at the end of a long day! The stake house over the road, despite being what I call 'expensive' was great quality food. Down the road there was a La Porchetta and that's cost effective pizza and pasta. Breaky of cereal and toast is INCLUDED (!!) in your room rate - pretty impressive.

Tram stop is about a 100m walk which is great and you can easily get to saint Kilday road or town from there.

From my perspective; all we needed was a place to shower and sleep and this was great. I understand that some other rooms have a double and a single, so if I was bringing my wife and kids down I may even contemplate coming back here if I needed to keep cost down. It's by no means a premium experience or anything but for what you pay it's good.

Don't come here with any expectation and you will be surprised. Hire it for a place to chill at the end of the day/sleeping quarters and you will be happy. Hope the weather isn't too hot for you, otherwise the rooms struggle to vent heat. Everything I have seen was neat a d tidy.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I didn't arrive until after midnight. The man on reception was courteous, quick and helpful, even getting someone down from upstairs to carry my bags up the stairs.
A nice surprise was the free wifi throughout the hotel. When I'd booked the site had said you had to pay.
The location was ideal for train into city centre, and for eating out at night.
The only things I missed were curtains...but that just meant I woke earlier and went out and did more!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo