2,835 results
All reviews ibis styles vic's bar heritage room fire doors great location central location swanston street federation square queen room the heart of the city family room budget hotel buffet breakfast definitely stay here again public transport visiting melbourne gym
Selected filters
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I stayed over a weekend with my parents in a family room. The rooms are in need of an upgrade. The room smelt old and musty and there were holes in the wall. The bathroom wasn't too bad and looks like they have been updated in the past few years. The most annoying aspect was the noise. I asked reception to put us in a quiet room, however our room faced towards the nightclubs and we could hear fights, car alarms and general loud noise all night long. Also the corridors within the hotel echo loudly and to say the least, we didn't get very much sleep. I usually stay on the outskirts of the CBD however as I was travelling with my parents, I wanted something central. If you are after budget and basic accommodation, then I would recommend it. It is also in a great location. I personally wouldn't stay here again and would rather a good nights sleep.

Date of stay: July 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank jacki_1981
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Having made a sudden decision to fly to Melbourne, I selected to stay at The Victoria Hotel, despite the many horror stories told here. My stay was for 14nights.

Upon check in, I was greeted by a sub standard reception. There was not a friendly smile around. The reception area was 'old style' but I thought that added to the character of the building. They even handed me the old fashioned keys to get to my room.

Having read up about 'guests being lost in the past' trying get to the rooms, I didn't realise how true this was until I went to find my room. You went up to the floor you were designated, came out of lift, then followed arrows and arrows, through another bridgeway (thru plastic sheets) until you entered another quarter (made me think of the old times).

Ahh.. my room! The door was old and the lock did not look that secure but I had arrived. Due to the excitement of being in Melbourne, I quickly opened the door, looked at the room, dropped my bags and decided to go shopping for the next few hours. The room wasn't bad.. I was just expecting more I guess.

Upon my return, I soon settled in. The beds were immacuately made every day.. sufficient room for one person. The bathroom has also been recently renovated... a delight to use! The rooms were always cleaned to the standard you would expect in any hotel.

The only bad thing was that they were doing jack hammering / renos on the floor above me. It didn't really bother me as I was always up and out of the hotel early, but on the one day I stayed in a tad later... the sound was unbearable!

Also, when someone else arrived, the closing of the door sound would echo throughout the hall. Luckily I arrived at the hotel later than most, so it was not too much of a problem.

Overall, the hotel provided the convenience that I needed.. which was to be in the CBD, close to transport and all other amenities, including restaurants, and sight seeing.

I also ended up meeting a fabulous Duty Manager when I was there. She was extremely helpful when needing advice on travel and local information. (sorry, didn't get her name)

I would without a doubt stay there again - most likely requesting the same room no! (as i met a friend who stayed in a different room and claimed it was way different to mine)

Again, if you're a fussy type you may have a different view!

Reviewed June 19, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed here and have never been so turned off by a hotel! We had just arrived on the ferry from Tasmania and it was 8AM and my wife wasn't feeling well, so with little research of other places, and the recommendations of the Rough Guide, Lonely Planet and the NY Times article "36 Hours in Melbourne," we went with "The Victoria Hotel."

The web site made the hotel look very modern and clean and the rates were attractive. However I showed up at 8AM without a reservation, I asked for the "Last Minute Rates" on their web site. The front desk staff (there were 5 or 6 buzzing around doing a lot of nothing) could not honor that rate and told me I'd have to wait until 9AM when the reservations dept opened...unless I wanted to pay $45 more per night. I've worked the front desk in hotels and was VERY surprised the front desk staff couldn't honor the rate and I'd have to wait an hour (this should have been my first sign to move on...but I didn't). So, I waited and at 9AM, I called from the house phone at the front desk and they confirmed me.

The lobby was worn and the neon sign for "Vics Bar" was very out of place. The elevators sounded like they needed service and on one occasion, the doors opened and the floor was off by several inches....creating a hazard.

The front desk staff seemed more involved in their duties than assisting guests and asking them questions, such as "Is there a Qantas office in the city?" threw them for a loop.

The room (Heritage) was supposed to be "recently renovated" according to the reservation department, but as we quickly noticed, that was NOT the case. Sure, someone slapped on some paint, but the walls were all nicked up, the carpet filthy, and there appeared to be mold (YES, MOLD!) or mildew in the bathroom ceilings. The room had poor ventilation and a wonderful view of an alley.

Upon going to bed, my wife looked over at one wall (all nicked up)and it appeared someone had whipped their nose on the wall...no joke!

In the middle of the night, we heard commotion outside our room and based on what we could hear being said (and the SMELL coming into the room), there had to be a homeless man sleeping outside our room. The hotel staff were attempting to remove him...and shortly thereafter the smell dissipated.

The next morning, we woke up to the sounds of construction, etc. in the alley. Well before that, decided that we had enough of this hotel as it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! We checked out after one night and took a cab to the "Mantra on the Park" hotel and they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the park. Ahhh...we thought we were in utopia...and for only $25 more a night.

PROS: Good central location...but so a so many other hotels.

Date of stay: June 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WldTvlr
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I stayed at this place on the recommendation of a colleague who told me all about the lovely renovated room they stayed in. There must be another victoria hotel in melbourne as my room was revolting, and in desperate need of a makeover (and natural light).

The staff were disinterested and not very helpful (aggravated when you dare interrupt their conversations to check in).

The room was dark & musty and the bathroom was old and dirty,

The room I stayed in had permanently open screen sections on the window so it was very noisy. I got woken up by drunk people in the adjoining alley at 1am and I couldnt close the noise out. This kept me awake till 3am, then I finally got to sleep only to be woken by the sound of a garbage truck reversing down the same alley at 5am and tipping all the glass bottles into the truck.

Take your money elsewhere.....

Date of stay: March 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ilikeicecream
Reviewed May 9, 2008

we stayed here for 3 nights over the easter break apr 08. The location is fantastic however the hotel could do with a refurb. Having said that we thought it was reasonable due to the good location. Our room was the size of a broom cupboard very very small, literally fit a double bed and small desk, only had a tiny window in the corner and was right next to the lift (meaning that people coming in all night kept us awake) but it was clean. Our friends also stayed there that weekend and had a huge room with 2 en suite bathrooms (they paid less also) so i guess its luck of the draw! The service in this hotel is appalling particularly the reception, who were rude, but if you want a location in the heart of melbourne this is it...

Extra note if ordering taxi to airport - we rang and pre booked taxi transfer for 4 people to the airport. When the taxi arrived it only had a tiny boot which would only fit one of our cases!!!! obviously we had 4 cases and 4 people. This led to a big argument as the taxis are gas powered and therefore only have half size boot, meaning we had to then call more taxis and split up group. This was annoying and made us a bit late for our various flights. I would recommend checking this when arranging taxis if you have luggage. (we had 2 large suitcases and 2 small cabin type cases between the 4 of us)

Date of stay: March 2008