“Lost earrings”
Review of The Hotel Windsor

The Hotel Windsor
Ranked #27 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Windsor on the 20th december as I had to see a surgeon in Melbourne. I only stayed the 1 night and took off my diamond stud earrings (which were valued at $1,500) and put them on the bedside table. I realized on my way back to the airport about 45mins after leaving the Windsor that I had forgotten my earrings so i called the hotel straight away.
They advised they would send the supervisor up to my room to look for them. They called me back on my mobile to say they could not find them, much too my horror. I would have thought being a 5 star hotel, something that was left behind would have been found as I had only checked out an hour before hand and know they were definately left in the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sue d
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear sue d,

Thank you for you review of your recent stay and for providing me with some details of your stay.

The hotel does have a strict "lost property" procedure which is adhered to by all it's staff so I am sorry that your earrings were not locate in your room. I can say with confidence that if anything was found that our team would have logged the item and store it securely. However please do not hesitate to speak with me to address this further.

There are newer reviews for The Hotel Windsor

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Windsor is still a grand hotel. This was our first stay since the night after our wedding 25 years ago and we found the hotel has retained its style. There is much more competition these days but the Windsor still manages to impress. We took advantage of an on-line special deal so the price was very good and I'll keep an eye out for similar offers in the future. Our room was a good size although the location of the air conditioner by one side of the bed did mean that we had to turn it off overnight so that my wife wasn't too cold. In a Melbourne heat wave, this meant that the room was a little warm by morning, but not awful.

Our rate included breakfast which we found to be reasonable but not quite up to the standard that I have come to expect from top hotels. I would not want to pay $35 for a buffet that lacked the variety that I expect to see.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MikeDav,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing your visit.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relive memories of some 25 years ago. We do have so much history in our hotel and hearing that our guests also appreciate it is simply fantastic.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back in the near future and there not be such a delay between visits.

As always at your service.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were a little disappointed by the Windsor. It was a Wotif secret deal so we only paid $199 for the night, but still we found the hotel had a cigarette smoke smell to it. It must be in the walls. The bathroom was very small, very awkward space to get in and out of the shower and the toilet gets knocked by the door as you walk in. I thought I would mention the prices of the wine - a 375ml bottle of white wine from the mini bar was $38, googled the wine and you can get it for $12, I expect them to make a profit but not that much, breakfast the next day $35 each. Needless to say we didn't spend anything extra at the Windsor....I can't say that we would recommend or be back.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gucci1506,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

I would like to apologise for the cigarette smell you notice on your floor. We are a 100% non smoking hotel and have been for approximately five years now. Unfortunately at times guests still choose to smoke albeit at a substantial cost to them. Any instances of smoke we do act urgently as to not disturb our other guests and I do apologise that this was noticed by you.

Once again thank you for our review and we do hope that if we do have the pleasure of your company in the future that your stay be a far more enjoyable one.

Like us on facebook

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My partner and I stayed her throughout the year and we love it. The ambience is superb and the service is great. From the doorman dressed in exquisite attire to the check-in procedure, it is really first class. I love having a cocktail in the Cricketers arm, as it reminds me of yesteryear and is full of a great diverse cross section of Melboure's population. The view of Parliment house and the gardens is great and the atmoshphere is awesome. I have eaten in the restaurant many times and I highly recommend it. The high tea is second to none and always a great venue for the special occasion ie Mothers day. The desserts are subliminal.

The only reason I havent given it 5 stars is that some of the rooms are a little tired and need an upgrade, however it all adds to the ambience of this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This Hotel is lovely, after 2 planes to get and afternoon traffic it was nice to be warmly greeted and booked in quickly. The staff were on the most part helpful, but the staff at the concierge's desk were amazing. They were informative and late night pizza was no problem, their service was everything you hope it would be, plus. Central and easy to get everywhere by walking, or taking the free tram for a good look around.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Btravellor,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear such kind words of our Reception and Concierge teams who I have shared your fantastic feedback with and are most appreciative.

Our hotel is perfectly located and it is great to be able to take advantage of this whilst staying with us.

Once again thank you and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

As always we remain at your service.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed in a basic room that was spacious with a queen-sized bed and well appointed bathroom. Decor was traditional and the room was spotlessly clean, although the view was across an internal roof. Room was very quiet, bed was comfortable and everything made for a comfortable night. Reception were very efficient and friendly. It is worth a stay just to experience the traditional opulence. Location is excellent with easy access to trains and trams.

Room Tip: Even the basic rooms are very comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greg B

Dear Greg B,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home in Melbourne.

To hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable is simply fantastic as this is one of the most important aspects of an hotel stay.

We also do have many other room styles which overlook Spring and Bourke Streets however these are our larger categories of rooms and suites. Our Traditional Rooms are of course perfect for an quiet overnight stay.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Have been dying to stay here for years, it was made possible with the huge sale on wotif !
On arrival Rob the doorman greeted us like we were Royalty. The car was parked for us and we proceeded to check in. The service was fabulous and quick! Our Room was great, the website suggested it was only for O/Night travellers, but it was roomy enough and the bathroom was terrific. The bed was very comfy. It was silent, our Air Con wasn't noisy at all and the temperature was perfect for us. We had buffet breaky one of the mornings, it was ok, but for $35 not terrific, Park Hyatt for an extra $5 is way better. The service and the grand ballroom were amazing. The cricketers bar was awesome, staff were friendly and cocktails were yummy. It is perfectly located, walk to town to shop and catch a tram home with your goodies.
If we see cheap rates again we will definately stay there.

Room Tip: We were in 137 and it was great !! Although most people who have left feedback sound a little fussy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinabopped

Dear tinabooped,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Hotel Windsor.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were treated like "Royalty" which is of course our aim.

We have been Melbourne's premier hotel for close to 130 years and to hear that we are still looking after our guests is fantastic.