“LOVED IT!! Best boutique hotel in Oz.”
Review of Royce Hotel

Royce Hotel
Ranked #36 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 9, 2010

This hotel is GREAT. I don't know what some of the reviewers were talking about....

Stayed at the Royal Suite, which was a very spacious room with a big lounge area and a four poster bed. AMAZING. I stayed at hotels all the time, and this is the best boutique hotel I have been to in Australia.

Excellent TV, jet spa bath... everything really modern, really quirky, really clean. Not much of a view, but that doesn't matter.

Very quiet, can't hear other guests. NIce bar and restaurant downstairs, too. Really convenient.

Beautiful place. Joins my best hotel list, and certainly the best boutique hotel in Oz in my opinion.

Only a few mins out from the city, and close to Chapel st, too, so get the credit card and shopping bags ready!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed April 9, 2010

This hotel was comfortable and in a great location to the CBD. We stayed in the Royal Suite while it was nice it wasnt much more than that. The bathroom was a highlight to the room. The tv above the spa bath is a nice addition.

While we enjoyed our stay I believe that it is misleading saying that this hotel is 5 star. It is definately not a 5 star and if you are looking for 5 star accommodation dont be fooled and stay here.

The valet parking is extremely over priced and everytime we got into the vehicle the radio volume was extremely loud and adjustments made to everything possible.

I am undecided about this hotel........ I think you can do better though.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We picked this hotel as it was close (next) to Albert Park, the home of the F1 Grandprix in Melbourne and the reason for our trip to Melbourne. It turned out to be a perfect base for this great event and also a short tram ride into the CBD. Although we had one of the 'basic' rooms, it had a great king bed, was clean and had big flat screen TV. The staff were friendly and helpful with any questions we had. Hotel has a great little bar, we even scored two free welcome drinks on arrival. Would not hesitate staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I stay here for work quite a bit. I really love the feel of this place - it's very stylish and a little quirky. If you can, try to get one of the mezzanine rooms on the ground floor. The other rooms are pretty average (3-star), but the mezzanine rooms are pretty special (5-star) ... hence my 4-star average room rating.

The location is not bad, but I actually prefer staying in the city (personal preference). However, the hotel is right on a tram line and only a short tram ride into the city. I've walked into (and out of) the city a few times - takes me about 25-30min.

Cafe Vue is only two doors down - an absolute must visit for any meal (or just a coffee). Try the pears, yoghurt and walnuts for breakfast!

Forget the gym - it's a tiny room with (I'm pretty sure) no window.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Royce for 1 night on the 2nd March. We were very happy with the hotel. The check in process was quick and seamless, and we were handed complimentary welcome drink vouchers to use.

We stayed on level 5, and our room was amazing. A good size room with king size bed, and beautiful mood lighting throughout. I was super impressed with the bathroom. A spa bath bigger enough for the 2 of us, with a tv at the end of it to relax after a long day of flying. The double vanity and a large shower was also very good.

We organised late check out as we had a late afternoon flight out of Melbourne, which was no problem. We did get a call just after 11 which was normal check out time, but the girl on reception had not checked to see that there was a note that we would be checking out late. This was the only hiccup during our stay.

The only downside is that its a 10 minute tram ride into the city.

We travel to Melbourne often and would stay at the Royce again.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

This was my second stay at the Royce. I was upgraded to a suite on my hen's night several years ago, which was apparantly their policy (for hens!) at the time.

Overall, I like the Royce, especially its location, its art decor style (it was the Melbourne Rolls Royce showroom in its heyday) and the restaurant. It's right on a major tram route and close to arterial roads in & out of the city. Check-in was pleasant enough and we liked our room, which was very clean and faced the leafy side street so was nice and quiet. We took a risk and left the car in the side street overnight, only to get a parking ticket early the next day so BE WARNED, use the valet parking and get your car safely off the street away from the gray ghosts! Our car was returned to us promptly at check-out, but we had to lug our stuff in & out ourselves. And as someone else said, I'm not so keen on the zebra rug in the foyer either!

The bar is kind of weird and very dark, but a comfortable place to enjoy a drink. We loved the breakfast, which was nicely laid out and plentiful. Service generally was OK - noone was rude to us, but it was a little perfunctory at reception. We had to fight for our second drink voucher for the second night (we had two separate, consecutive one-night bookings) as they claimed the policy was one drink voucher per stay. Noone at reception seemed to actually be from Melbourne, so that could be problematic for those seeking tourist info at times.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I found this hotel to be comfortable and convenient. I believe its part way through an upgrade and the top 2 floors have been done (where I stayed) and at least 1 of the middle floors has yet to be completed. The rooms are to a good standard with all you would expect available.
Breakfast is in the Dish restaurant which is integral to the hotel. I have been going there for some years as its close to our office and I must say it has stepped up quite a bit and the cooking was as good as any I have experienced in Melbourne.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Ovolo Laneways
#13 of 161 in Melbourne
Parkville
Art Series - The Larwill Studio

Been to Royce Hotel? Share your experiences!