“Just far enough away from the city”
Review of Royce Hotel

Royce Hotel
Ranked #36 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed 2 nights late March. Great boutique hotel. Small hotel with great clean rooms, big beds nicely appointed and friendly staff. Easy to get to the city by tram or $10 taxi fare. Convenient store just 100 metres away. Great breakfast at the Dish Restaurant. Great value for money. I have stayed several times and it is my preferred hotel in Melbourne just out of the city.

1  Thank Craig S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during the weekend for the Australian Grand Prix. (15-17 Apr)
This is a small hotel along St Kilda road, and is very close to Albert Park, and is very convenience for the F1 race as Albert Park is only a short walk away. To get to the city, its about AUD12 taxi ride away, about 10 min to South Bank, where there's plenty of restaurants and cafe.
Room is modern and clean with a big bathroom, very comfortable king size bed and a nice terrace too. The room i had was a corner room, so its abit on the small side, but overall the room is very pleasant and comfortable. I slept very well here.
Breakfast is not included in my room rate and it cost an extra AUD28 for a buffet breakfast.
There is a bar at the hotel, where we had a couple of drinks at night.
Overall, it was a comfortable and pleasant stay here and location is convenience if the reason for staying here is to watch the F1 race, which was the reason why we stayed here.
But its an expensive stay for the F1 weekend, as room rate is AUD800 for 2 nights ! and breakfast is not included.
Yes, i would come back here again in future for the next F1 Race.

Note :
Few doors away from hotel is Cafe Vue, where one can have a nice coffee and some light lunch. Dont miss the wagyu burger !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank whereisfatboy
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two night in March for my Wedding, we certainty could not have picked better...

The location was just ideal, very close to the Shrine, $10 to the city via cab with all the benefits of staying on the fringe of the CBD.

We booked suite #317, the premier, we had viewed it previously to ensure it had enough room to fit photographers, hair and make up artists bridal party etc, it fit our purposes beautifully and staff ensured easy accessibility of these professionals.
We were delighted with the St.Kilda Rd facing terrace, which I had skipped over in our site originally, there was little to no noise in the room of a night given the room faced onto the street, the bed superb!

Bench tops were abundant as was the functionality of the bathroom facilities, we enjoyed the deep spa particularly. The minibar was very sufficient as was small functional items such as bottle opener, robes, slippers, Ethernet cable (not that we required) etc, all these small comforts are essential and easily overlooked in other properties.

The room I will add was exceptionally clean, I have worked over 10 years in the hotel accommodation industry within housekeeping management and I can certainly say that I was overall impressed with the high standard of cleaning throughout the suite, including high maintenance areas such as chrome piping and large glass panels and mirrors. All wet area seals were completely mould free. (amazing but true!).

The decor of this hotel is something very special and a dominating reason as to why I picked it, furnishings are all very modern, stylish and well maintained. I particularly love the confidence of the strong lines, patterns and bold colours, and mostly that cute as zebra rug and pink R ottomans.

Breakfast was good value as a inclusion to your room rate, my only constructive criticism would be to move the toaster to a less populated area so as to ensure the flow of patrons. Overall it was sufficient and plentiful.

All staff that we encountered we extremely professional and attentive, I believe it was Morgan? who we dealt with mostly who was particularly outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble.
This hotel is deserving of it's 5 star rating and more... we are looking forward to an anniversary stay in a year to do it all again.

2  Thank Miss-Malicious
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I'm not sure where to even start. Loved it. From the moment we arrived the service was exceptional, the rooms beautiful, modern and clean and the food - oh my! It's rare to find a hotel that has room service that beats a good restaurant. We actually stayed in one night so that we could order dinner. Prices were fantastic which makes the whole experience even more outstanding. I could go on and on. Breakfast? Lovely. Parking? Free and abundant. Great location, great staff, great rooms, great restaruant and even a bar. Gosh. I can't believe that it's taken me this long to find this hotel. It is now the only place I'll ever stay when I visit Melbourne. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is really lovely. It's very handy - close to town but in a nice quiet area. It's easy to get cabs but it's far enough away from the CBD that you feel nice and relaxed.

Rooms are great. Bathrooms are enormous which is nice. Very comfortable. Comfy beds.

Somewhat strange air con system, which I know seems trivial, but it's a bit odd.

Our only gripe was the internet charges. In this day and age, internet should be free. We do A LOT of travelling, here and all over the world, and if you can get free internet in Cambodia, it should be free in Australia. We only used the net on the Friday night for some work that my fiance had to do, but when we checked out they tried to charge us for two full days... They grudgingly reverted it back to just one day, but $19 or so a day for internet? It's somewhat ridiculous.

Stayed 8-10th March 2013.

Nice hotel.

2  Thank bepeaceful
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I am a regular business traveler and have stayed at dozens of hotels in Melbourne over the years.
This trip a colleague booked me into the Royce Hotel based upon a referral and as a result, I have now found my new preferred hotel that I will now book every time I am in Melbourne in future.
Although St Kilda Road is a few minutes out of the center of town, it is actually an advantage in many ways and very nice to be surrounded by some parks trees.
The rooms are as good as any of the 5 star hotels and the building provides a perfect combination of an old world/heritage feel together with beautifully appointed modern rooms.
Reception staff were friendly and efficient.The downstairs bar is welcoming and comfortable also.
I am a fussy traveler but based on my first experience at this hotel, I will now become a regular.
I have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Aussie202
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were invited to a wedding reception at this hotel, to our suprise it was beautifly appointed, the decor was stunning.

The wait staff were attentive and the food was excellent, and the ballroom was great although a little tight for over 100 people, and the dance floor was a little squashy.

Overall a great venue for a wedding reception.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank stevron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Ovolo Laneways
#13 of 161 in Melbourne
Parkville
Art Series - The Larwill Studio

Been to Royce Hotel? Share your experiences!