“Beautiful rooms”

Royce Hotel
Ranked #33 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
“Beautiful rooms”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Royce is a beautiful hotel with wonderful rooms, really comfortable beds and pillows ensuring a great night sleep! Added bonus of the rooms being very dark so we had a sleep in. The bar is great and breakfast is good but not excellent... Still this was our second stay and we will definatley be back!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed November 14, 2012

boutique hotel is nicely decorated, many bold designer touches, velvets, chandeliers, deep colors, mirrors, really nice feel. Our room had a lot of character too. we had a bottle of complimentary wine also one free drink at their bar or restaurant and a discount if you eat at their restaurant which is fine dining. there is bar menu in the bar as well. dinner was very good, we also had continental breakfast which was really nice and high qualilty and well worth stopping by. there were several business customers staying here. we loved the decor here and the service was great, did i mention free wi-fi?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stay at the Royce whenever I'm in Melbourne.

Originally it was because we have corporate rates with them and I couldn't be bothered finding something else but I have actually come to look forward to staying there.

Staff are always incredibly friendly and everything is done without too much fuss or bother.

The rooms and I've been in a few different ones are always well appointed and spacious. The only room I wouldn't recommend there are the mezzanine rooms, mainly because I don't like having to walk up and down the stairs in bare feet, there a metal rails on each step for grip. The air conditioning is also hard to get right, the downstairs will be freezing and the upstairs in the bedroom is like a sauna.

The Royce is very easy to access and find and parking has never been a problem.

Room service can be quite mixed, I've had good, I've had bad but there is any number of food options in walking distance which makes this a non issue.

I will stay here again and again, I can highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a Melbourne gem! Walking distance to the CBD and located in lovely treed area close to parks. The hotel staff are very pleasant to deal with and the rooms ooze charm and class. The city is only a short tram ride away if you don't want to walk. There are plenty of restaurants in the area although the hotel restaurant, dish, is very good. We had a great time at this hotel and after many stays in the CBD, will return here on our next trip.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Melbourne Grammar School have a nice view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed Royce Hotel for 3 night while attending a conference in Melbourne mid October and was not impressed with the service offered when a laptop was removed from my room on the third day of my stay.

Prior to leaving for my conference on the Saturday morning, I placed my personal laptop inside a closed cupboard along with the work laptop and locked the room door. When I returned in the evening, my personal laptop has gone missing from inside the cupboard yet its charger and the work laptop were still in the same position. Together with the Duty Manager, we searched the whole room in case the housekeeper moved it from inside the cupboard when they cleaned the room. He checked the laundry and contacted the housekeeping team but no one has any recollection of seeing the laptop. Also there are only cameras in the lobby area, none on the floors or corridors.
Other than the assistance I received from Morgan, the Duty Manager on that evening, all I got from the hotel is that the housekeeping team is trustworthy and since it's not in the safe, they are not liable. No direct communications were received from the hotel even though when I checked out, promises were made to keep me notified of the internal investigation and the General Manager will contact me the next day when he's back at work.

I do understand that the hotel is not liable under the law as the laptop was not in safe at the time that it went missing but as a customer paying for the room, I am entitled to believe that my personal belongings will remain safe in a locked hotel room and will be there when I return.

As a 5 star boutique hotel, I was very disappointed with the service and lack of communication from the hotel. Unless the hotel room is converted into a walk-in-safe, possessions that couldn't be squeezed into the tiny room safe are eligible for removal by anyone who has access to the room and the hotel won't be liable!

Will I stay at Royce again? Definitely not!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank T T
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Every once in a while, I walk into the lobby of the hotel I've booked online, and I just know, right off the bat, that it's going to be exceptional. Such was the case with Royce Hotel. From the moment Alyce worked her magic to find me a room that was ready (I checked in early), to the moment she called me a taxi two days later to take me to the airport, the Royce Hotel provided the perfect blend of chic, comfort and class.

The room was incredibly sumptuous: beautifully designed, comforting, modern but with the appropriate amount of softness. I was a little concerned about the bathroom with the open shower being in the same room as the toilet, but strangely, it worked. They have two restaurants (one a bar, the other higher-end), which is nice. And the hotel is ideally situated in South Yarra, which is a beautiful part of a beautiful city, right next to the Botanical Gardens and a nice walk away from the very cool Chapel Street and Toorak Road precincts. The only thing that could possibly make this hotel better is if they provided free Internet. Still, it's sexy, stylish and a great value; and I will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: Because the hotel is on busy St. Kilda Road, ask for a room that faces the back to get a bit more qu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Royce is a boutique beauty - from the lush lobby to the the candy-cane hall carpets, to the monogrammed plush cushions in your sumptuous room - the Royce is an understated boutique addition to Melbourne hotel scene.

It manages to combine luxe without all the attitude. It's just cool in a louche sexy way. A short tram ride from the city or the other way to shopping heaven - South Yarra's Chapel Street or trendy Prahran. Only a short walk to the gardens, and a superb restaurant and bar to unwind in afterwards. The great vibe, complimentary drinks in the bar to greet you on arrival and the delicious breakfast make this a new Melbourne favourite.

• Stayed October 2012