WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Quest on Bourke

Quest on Bourke
Ranked #105 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Queensland, Australia
“A wonderful stay - except for one unfortunate event”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at Quest on Bourke over Christmas 2012. My family had a 2 bedroom apartment which was nice, clean, a great size and just perfect. The staff had already set up the cot we requested (including bedding etc) and we felt very welcome. My parents also stayed in a standard room and that was also very nice. The location is great, the staff friendly and the cleaning staff were the friendliest I have ever met (the were really sweet to the kids). Just a few issues (one very small and trivial and the other not so)...the laundry has a washer/dryer - the dryer does not work, not a biggy - I just air dried the clothes. The other issue is a bit long but it really was what made me give Quest 4 stars and not 5. So...here it goes...we knew that the rooms would not be serviced over the public holidays and were prepared for that. However, we were under the impression that if we contacted reception, it would not be such a hassle to tidy up the room ourselves. We had a family christmas lunch and had lots of rubbish (presents wrappings, prawn shells, left over food etc) and used up all the dishwasher tablets and dishwashing liquid. Boxing Day we were out all day and came back and realised (our fault) that the room had not been serviced and the room was starting to get a bit smelly. The next day (not a public holiday) my husband got up at 6am to call reception and ask if he could come down and get some dishwashing liquid and garbage bags and asked where we could put our rubbish. We did not expect housekeeping to come so early but wanted to clean up for ourselves. By 8am, nothing. We called again and explained we had quite a lot of rubbish and wanted to know what to do. We also had nothing to wash our dishes to have breakfast. The man at reception questioned why we had so much rubbish and told us someone would be up soon. We gave up on the dishes and my husband went out and bought us all breakfast. By 10am, I called and explained the room was starting to smell, PLEASE just tell us where to take the rubbish. It was at this point I gave up and took some garbage bags off a cleaner's cart in the hallway. Finally, after calling at 11am, someone came up and gave us a few things so we could wash dishes and they took the rubbish away. What may seem trivial was actually quite bizarre for us. Here we were in a really nice hotel, we weren't asking for housekeeping - we just wanted a few things so we did not have to have rotting food and dirty dishes in our room and it was made into such a huge deal.

1 Thank LilyPad45
VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, it is truly appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay however, I would like to address your housekeeping/reception communication issue. I have communicated with the staff that were on duty on that day and unfortunately, there is no excuse I can offer you apart from the fact that they were busy at reception and the urgency of your requirements were not impressed upon our housekeepers to assist with taking up bags and removing your rubbish. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this inconvenience that was caused to you and your family by our lack of prompt communication - I am happy if you would like to discuss the matter further to continue communications with you via email, you can contact me at the property via questonbourke@questapartments.com.au Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Melbourne, Australi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here overnight mid week as I went to see a band in the CBD. I was surprised at how BIG the room was, it was huge! I was even more surprised to see that the bathroom had an awesome corner spa bath!

Great clean hotel, centrally located - nice and close to shops, restaurants and venues.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saturdaisy
Seattle,WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I saw some negativity and thought I would provide another perspective. I believe that all the units have new furniture now (not that the old furniture was bad). It is an urban environment with accompanying noises, but it didn't prevent me from sleeping. My husband wore earplugs to sleep because he is more sensitive to sounds. The most convenient aspect of Quest Bourke Street is accessibility of transit. You have four choices: 1) Exit the 4th floor and take the sky bridge to the Southern Cross train station. 2) Exit the 1st floor and walk around the corner to the regular newer looking trams. 3) Exit the 1st floor and walk around the corner to the FREE historic circle trams. 4) Exit the 1st floor and walk around the corner to the FREE red bus that goes all around Melbourne. That's what I call accessibility! You can also walk around the corner and cross the street to rent a bike for an hour or a day. It is about 3 blocks to the post office, a Safeway store (owned by Woolworths), pharmacy, bakery, Asian food mart and restaurants. Also, strolling on the water's edge is very pleasant. The neighborhood seemed safe to me. I guess that a lot of people live in the high rise apartments, and I saw them walking their dogs or heading to the markets after work. It's very convenient and saves lots of money to have a kitchenette (since restaurant brekky seemed to cost at least $10).

Room Tip: All the units have kitchenettes, but not all of them have balconies. Some balconies are large and ot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SESeattlemom
Mackay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Most of my family (9 in total) stayed for 7 nights, We had 2x2 bedroom Apt.and a 1 bedroom Apt. OMG what at great place to stay has everything you could ask for. The Manager and all staff were pleasent to deal with and if you had a problem or needed help they had no hesitations in helping. It is close to all shops and food outlets. You can catch a tram at the front door. The hotel is very clean and I would highly recommend it to anyone. What a great Place.

2 Thank TamMackay
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights,only mistake was made by me asking for a front room with a balcony.dont do it as it is quite noisy of a weekend so sleep is almost impossible otherwise every thing was great.Nice clean roomy units with very polite and helpful staff.
We think this is the best self contained units close to the CBD. We will return again.

Room Tip: If staying weekends ask for a room at the back.Elwphant and wheelbarrow pub up the road have great m...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Raills
VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your great feedback in regard to the property. We can certainly make a request for an apartment at the rear of Quest on Bourke for your next stay with us - I will note in your guest history. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a gift for my husbands 70th, we were going to a show at Her Majesty's Theatre, & as we aren't that familiar with Melbourne, elected to stay in the CBD, and chose Quest on Bourke St as it was close to every thing. The hotel was very clean & comfortable and spacious. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
The whole team here is really pleased you and your husband enjoyed your time in Melbourne - we hope you enjoyed your birthday and we look forward to seeing you on the 71st!
Warm regards,
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just a couple of minutes walk to David Jones and Myer, perfect for a shopping trip. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment, great size, very clean and modern, large spa in the bigger bathroom and an extra bathroom with a toilet and shower. The room was perfect, the only downside was that you could hear road noise below as the window was on Burke Street and we were on the 5th floor, its only 6 floors high. But staying that, I will stay here again, it was a great price for a two bedroom apartment, and we were very happy with the apartment. You have to walk to the parking with your luggage down Burke Street but it wasn't too much of a hassle, its close.

Room Tip: Higher Floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MischaVictoria
VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Quest on Bourke - I have noted in guest history that you prefer higher floor accommodation - I will also endeavour to reserve an apartment at the rear of the property for your next stay.
Thank you again.