“Good Location”
Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Mantra on Jolimont
Ranked #98 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a game of football at the MCG. The location was excellent and we got a great deal on Wotif which included an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment. We were on the top floor with views of Rod Laver Arena, MCG and the City - very nice. Breakfast in the restaurant was plentiful. The only complaint we had was the noise from the trains that went late into the night then started early the next morning - no good for light sleepers. Good value for what we wanted.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms facing in a different direction wouldn't have so much noise from the trains.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
JolimontMGR, Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I do appreciate it and will be sure to share your comments with the team! The next time you are returning to Melbourne, be sure to contact us directly so we can look at allocating you a more appropriate room for your needs.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We picked this hotel due to its proximity to Rod Laver Arena for a concert but stayed here for 3 nights. The location is fabulous to access concert and sporting venues and is close to public transport. You can easily walk to Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and South Bank. The free city circle tram (red rattler) is also only a 5-10 minute walk away. We enjoyed a pre-purchased buffet breakfast for $15 per person in the on site restaurant. Good value. We found the room (1 bedroom apartment) to be spacious, clean and comfortable, with a king size bed and views across to the city. The hotel was quite full but we found it to be quite quiet which was appreciated. The staff were helpful, particularly Toni on checking out. Parking was a bit of an issue only because of having to leave the keys with reception (parking is very limited and staff need the keys to move vehicles around when double parked) - this meant waiting to get the keys during peak reception times. The parking cost of $25 a night was quite reasonable for a city location. A suggestion for the room though is to have an infomation compendium, as most places have, with details of how to work the TV, heating and cooling, contact numbers, points of interest, map etc etc. We were not sure whether there was meant to be one and it was just missing from the room. Overall a pleasant stay and we would stay here again next time we are concert going.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Good morning,

Thank you for your review of Mantra on Jolimont, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm not going to add too much to your content as you've pretty much summed up the positives of staying with us in East Melbourne!

Regarding the compendium - they are located via the television menu, but we do also have a smaller 'DL' sized flyer that should sit adjacent to your television remote covering where the compendium is accessed, and just short notes on practically everything you have suggested in your review - which makes me think clearly a copy was not placed in your room! I'll follow up with our housekeeping team to make sure they are going in.

Thanks again, please let us know directly at the hotel if we can assist you in any further accommodation requirements, we'd love to welcome you back!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
JolimontMGR, Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked the hotel a long time in advance for a concert! We spent a lot of money on the whole trip and the artist we went to see was the only fantastic part of our stay! We called 2 days before the stay to make sure all was in order and that the room was still the same price and if the bed could be changed from 2 singles to a queen. The male I spoke to on the phone made me feel like I had interrupted his day when I called and I think I worked out he was the manager when we arrived! I asked what the price was for the room on the phone cause it was booked so long ago, he said $180!! I was sure it was $129... Considering it was just one night! For that price we had high expectations... We were stung at the front desk for the $100 holding fee... Not explained properly about the refund of it... It was going to take 5-10 working days to refund... Most hotels will take $0.01 and if there is any damage then they take the money... Then another $25 for a parking spot that was stupidly tight and since we had a hire car... We were nervous about other cars scratching it... The bed was changed from 2 singles to a king... They pushed the 2 singles together and they weren't made well... Bottom sheet was practically thrown on... The two separate beds were lumpy and hardly about to share comfortably as a couple with a seam down the middle of the bed... One of the cupboard doors was not closing properly, the shower was horrible... The cold only turn on so far and the hot was very hot, once you got the temp right it would go cold.. You tap the hot tap and it would burn like you'd put it on full ball! the wifi wasn't even free! Didn't pay for since we had already given them enough of our money... Sometimes it's nice to get the little things included... Wifi, parking, friendly managers... For $180 for one night... Plus parking $25 plus bond $100... $325 we weren't impressed about anything but the location! Staff were nice but the manager was looking us up and down as if we didn't belong... The entrance, reception and outside of the hotel is lovely but the studio room... Complete failure! Will never return! Would have been happier to stay elsewhere and deal with traffic to and from the concert! Ruined an amazing night! We felt if we said anything about the place we would have been kicked out! The manager is not a people person and should learn to practise what they preach and that is that they serve you with a smile... His staff do but he should pull one out once in a while and realise that his hotel has a 1 out of 15+ good reviews... Wish we had read this site before booking... Lesson learnt! Hope he learns too!

Room Tip: Don't bother! Go into the city and get a tram if you are going to stay here for the stadiums!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma H
JolimontMGR, Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your recent experience at Mantra on Jolimont. It is certainly worrying that you had the stay that you had.

Our credit card pre-authorisation policy is standard across a lot of hotels now, and fully explained in our property confirmation policies. I actually have some staff auditing confirmations that are sent by third party internet sites (Wotif, Agoda, Expedia etc) to ensure that they are passing this information on as well. Parking is very limited, but staff are always happy to assist in parking cars in the tighter parkign spots, or directing you to nearby alternatives. That aside, I have certainly taken your suggestions on board as we always review our rates and inclusions on a regular basis. At this stage, we do not include parking or Wifi as not all guests utilise these services.

Being an older property, I am certainly aware of the need to continually refresh the building, which we do to the best of our abilities mindful of lease constraints and other factors I wont go into in this forum. What we do concentrate on is the areas we can qucikly and easily influence, and your comments regarding the bed have been passed on to our housekeeping and maintenance teams as we can certainly arrange to have this looked into.

What I do impress upon my staff though, is age of the building aside, is that good service IS something that is easily influenced, and that bad service is completely unexceptable. To take this further, I would invite you to contact me directly on the email address below as I am having difficulty pin pointing your booking, or at least advise me what dates you stayed on, so I can speak to the Duty Manager who was present during your stay. This would also be a great opportunity for you to send through your original confirmation email as I would love the chance to fix up your rate - if you have been confirmed one rate but charged another, this is certainly an easy fix.

I do look forward to hearing from you, and encourage all guests to approach our staff if they have difficulties or issues during their stay as I do all I can to empower them to resolve issues there and then.

campbell.lee@mantra.com.au

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The rooms were nice sized and clean, with a little kitchen and the kids rooms had its own bathroom which is great. Cleaned everyday, although it looks like the windows had never been cleaned. The trains pass right under the hotel so that noise took a couple of nights to adjust to. Great to walk to MCG, Rod Laver etc.
The price was good value. There was no coffee machine or plunger but there is a nice restaurant in the hotel where you could buy a nice coffee and the food was good. The hotel is too far away to walk to Melbourne's fabulous choices of food. We had a car and the parking at the hotel was very expensive although there was some free street parking if you were lucky. I would try somewhere different next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Good morning,

Thank you for your review of Mantra on Jolimont - I appreciate you taking the time to document your thoughts regarding the property!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our room wasn't ready but we were off to the MCG so didn't matter. A welcoming receptionist greeted us after our short taxi ride. Once we came back and were given some help and directions from more happy, helpful staff we found a most comfortable and clean room for the two of us, the friendly and helpful staff couldn't do enough. A lovely old building. Will stay again for the footy and tennis. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JolimontMGR, Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Good morning,

Thank you for your review! I do appreciate you taking the time to jot down your thoughts of our property.

We do enjoy great proximity to the MCG (which is worth visiting even if there isn't an event on as the National Sports Museum is fascinating), and I am pleased our team were able to meet your needs - I will enjoy sharing your feedback with them!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

No hassles with check in, service, cleaning. Impressed with the hotel location, just a brisk ten minute walk from Collins st through the Treasury gardens. The downside is the noise from the passing trains, but being high up meant it wasn't too noticable.Very impressed with the size of my room. A little worn but clean with a comfortable bed.
Very disappointed with the heating and shower though. It was a particularly cold week and the room didn't warm despite pumping up the heat as high as my conscience would allow - well into the twenties. The shower has the cold tap fixed at a low pressure, meaning the hot water had to be low so as not too scald - very finicky to get right and then at a low flow. Not nice in a cold room.
The restaurant served a decent breakfast and ate dinner there as well - fine for the price.
All up, quite fine, but they badly need to improve the heating - the air blowing out is barely hotter than the current room temp, so adding the blow factor in, it actually feels colder passing under the vent. A big caveat if visiting in winter.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Good morning,

Thank you for your review of Mantra on Jolimont.

I appreciate your comments, and will raise what I can easily influence with my relevant department heads for prompt action.

Perhaps you would be able to message me directly to let me know which room number you stayed in so we can investigate the flow of water and air conditioning issues? I would hope that our maintenance team have already been alerted when you mentioned these issues during your stay, but just so I can follow up, this information would be very helpful.

Many thanks,