“great value, friendly staff”
Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Mantra on Jolimont
Ranked #97 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in June 2013 and was delighted that I had landed a special deal for $109 for a whole apartment complete with well-equipped kitchen (stove, sink, oven, pots, pans, microwave, large bar fridge, etc;), living room, open dining area, huge bathroom with bath and comfy, spacious bedroom with comfy bed and everything was very clean. I especially liked the fact that the curtains shut out the light so I could sleep. I also had a handy washing machine and dryer in the hallway outside. Nice view of the Melbourne CBD. The location is great - just about 5 minutes' walk along tree-lined streets to the CBD's Spring and Flinders St. Trams are just 1 block away and are frequent. Nice quiet neighbourhood. And the staff were all helpful and courteous.

The slight downside is that the furniture did seem in want of maintenance. Stains on the couch, the chain lock next to the door was partially wrenched off the wall (I had notified the front desk on day 1 but by day 3 the lock still was not yet fixed) and the microwave oven's faceplate was bent. Furthermore, the left-hand elevator had a temporary glitch (which, the staff promptly attended to fixing). However, everything else did function well. The other downside is that the phone was in the bedroom and since there wasn't a desk, I had to perch my laptop on the bedside table to use the phone and my PC simultaneously. An in-room safe would have been nice, too.

But aside from the above-mentioned glitches, the apartment was quiet, the bed very comfortable, the staff were great and the location was good too. I would stay there again, particularly at that low price!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
JolimontMGR, Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our spacious 1 bedroom apartment, and it sounds like you received a great deal. Our fantastic location obviously suited your needs, and happy to hear you received friendly service. Thank you for bringing certain Maintenance issues to our attention. Feedback such as this is valuable to ensure we can improve & maintain facilities. We're certainly aware of the issues in regards to furniture in the rooms, please be assured that we're planning to rectify this in the near future.
Thanks again for your feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in Melbourne.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed hear when we attended an event at Rod Laver Arena, perfect location just a 10 min walk to the venue, we had a one bedroom apartment which was spotlessly clean, lots of space great views over Melbourne and comfortable bed, we ate in the bistro which had a fairly limited menu but was reasonably priced and was nice and had room service menu again a quite small choice but tasty though serviettes and salt and pepper would have been appreciated, the only down side was the train and tram noise.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back would be better noise wise I think
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay with us. It was great to read that our location suited your needs, and that you had a nice clean room & comfortable bed. Your comments in regards to the restaurant menu have been noted, and we will certainly take your feedback on board. Thanks again & we look forward to seeing you again next time you're in Melbourne.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night and for just under $100, I couldn't have hoped for better. Let's be honest, I don't know what some reviewers expect to get out of a hotel at this price. If you are looking for 4 star accommodation then by all means spend $300-400 and you'll get it. I think some of these people would be unhappy no matter where they book.
I found the staff really friendly and helpful. I ordered room service and it came quickly and was frankly pretty good. The location is fantastic. It's very close to Rod Laver and the MCG and only a 10 min walk to Fed Square via the foot bridge (and it's a lovely walk).
As previously mentioned, the rooms need updating and they are quite open about it too. My room's only issue was the shower which was looking pretty tired, but everything else was fine. Also, do note that there are no restaurants, bars or cafes in this neighbourhood (other than the hotel's restaurant), but you should be busy exploring the city anyway!
So for a good hotel at a good price, it's a fantastic option.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. It was great to read that you received helpful & friendly service, and you certainly received a great deal! Glad you enjoyed the restaurant room service, and our location was obviously perfect for your needs. Thank you for your feedback in regards to the rooms. We're aware of the required updating of our rooms, and you'll be happy to know we have plans in place to rectify this. Our showers are currently been re grouted, as this is an ongoing requirement. In regards to cafe's & restaurants in the area, you may not have been aware there are a number of them on Wellington Pde, only a very short walk from the hotel. Thanks again for your feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We got a great deal paying only $109 a night plus car parking. Fantastic location close to the MCG, Rod Laver Arena and only walking distance to tram in the Melbourne City centre. Really big room that accomodated 2 adults in a separate room, 1 child on a fold out bed and infant in porta cot in living area. Lots of room, big bathroom and great kitchenette with even a dishwasher. Maybe a little tired but wasn't a concern. Would highly recommend for families going to sporting events on weekends. Only disappointment was there was no room service or meals on a sunday night so made it abit difficult. Would definatelystay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. It was good to read that you received such a great deal & sounds like you had an enjoyable stay. It appears that our location was perfect for your requirements, and as you've mentioned, our apartments are very spacious & perfect for families. I apologise that the restaurant was not an option for you on the Sunday night. Unfortunately at this stage our dinner is only 5 nights a week, from Tues to Sat. However we do take your feedback on board and will be reviewing these opening hours in the near future. Thanks again for your comments, they're very much appreciated. See you next time you're in Melbourne.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My friend and I stayed two nights here in June.

We got a great deal of $109 per night and then a further 10% discount through the Entertainment Book so we paid just under $100 per night. You can't complain for that money! But like previous posters said, it was a tad tired.

The location is fabulously close to Rod Laver Arena and the MCG, and it's close to a tram stop to take you to Flinders St or down Collins St into the city centre, but this is NOT a restaurant/nightclub or cafe location at all.

Our studio apartment had two twin beds but they were both really small. My friend said she was cold all night and I complained of being too hot. We worked out the problem after the 2 nights... Her bed had one thin blanket, and mine had a large think quilt doubled over - presumably these two items would have been on the one queen size bed if it had been configured as a queen.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay again if the purpose of our visit was to attend a concert or sporting event nearby.

They do have a buffet breakfast for $15 per person if you pay when you check in.

Room Tip: We had room 212 which backed directly onto the elevator. If the layout is the same on each floor I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thanks for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you received such a great deal, and it sounds like our location was perfect for your needs. As you have stated, our location is perfect for those attending sporting events, concerts & conferences in the precinct. You're correct in regards to the blankets, we do have rooms which can be configured as either two singles or a king bed, hence the different sizes in blankets. Our staff are on hand 24 hours & we're here to help if you require anything such as an additional blanket during your stay. In regards to the rooms, we are aware of the requirement to update some of our furniture, and this is a priority for us in the near future. I'm glad you took advantage of our special offer of a discounted breakfast when booked in advance. This is proving to be very popular & a great opportunity for our guests to enjoy a full buffet breakfast at a great price.
Thanks again for your feedback, it's very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra on Jolimont.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Mu husband and I stayed at this hotel last night and just for one night as we had a sporting event to attend.
Thank goodness it was only one night.
Firstly let me say that the location to all the sporting venues in Melbourne was great. Only a stones throw to four different sporting arenas.
The overall cleanliness was passable but the condition of the room was TERRIBLE.
When we entered the room, I noticed one of the bedside lamps had a strong lean to it. When I went to inspect it the globe inside and the lampshade attachment was extremely wobbly. So I unplugged from the wall. There was no way I was putting my head near that!!!
The room was very hot and I went to to open the window, there was a winding handle on the window to open it but it would not open at all. So I then had to put the air conditioning on.
The bathroom had no bath just a shower which was fine, except the skirting boards near the shower were in terrible shape. You can see where water had gotten in and the wood was swollen and some of it has totally disintegrated.
On the entrance door to the room, the extra lock on the actual door handle was broken. It just spun around. Also the door didn't automatically click shut, you had to push it firmly.
We arrived back to our room at approximately 11pm and we were absolutely starving so we thought we would order room service. NOPE!!! They stop serving room service at 9.30pm. Extremely bad service when a lot of the concerts/sporting games don't finish until later in the night. There was not even a 7/11 close by to go and gt something to eat.
We did get this room on a deal price of $109.00, but I would much rather have spent a couple of hundred more and stayed at the Hilton which is very close by.
I work in the Hospitality/Tourism industry and there is no way I would ever stay or recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ausoiler
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay. It's great to read that you enjoyed our location in regards to sporting & entertainment facilities, and what a great deal you received!
Obviously it was however very disappointing to read your comments in regards to some Maintenance issues in your room, and that you couldn't enjoy our bar & restaurant when you returned late at night. Unfortunately, as it doesn't seem you have advised us of the Maintenance issues when you were actually here, we weren't given the opportunity to rectify these during your stay. Please feel free to email us to advise which room you stayed in so that we can investigate further. In regards to the restaurant & bar, our normal opening hours for dinner are 5pm to 9:30pm Tues-Sat. We do however leave the bar open later if the demand is there with big footy games etc. I'm sorry that this wasn't the case when you stayed. There is actually a 7-11 only a 5 min. walk from the hotel. We also have a number of restaurant delivery options that Reception can provide. We're also only a 10 min. walk or short tram ride to the CBD. Thanks again for your feedback & I apologise that you didn't enjoy all aspects of your stay.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Mantra on Jolimont is showing its age with facilities, furniture and fitings not exactly pristine (but clean and well maintained), but who cares when you get a fantastic location, friendly and helpful staff and amazing rates on special several times a year.
Our 1 bedroom apartment had a spectacular view to the city, all the self-catering resources we needed and the Mantra was a short walk to trams and trains and a 20 minute walk to the city and Southbank through the Fitzroy Gardens or along the Yarra River. The MCG, Tennis Centre and the new Rugby/Soccer ground are easily and quickly (MCG 2 minutes!!) accessed.

Room Tip: Top floors for great views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
JolimontMGR, Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. It was great to read you had such an enjoyable stay. It's good to read that our location was perfect for your needs, and that you enjoyed the friendly service and our competitive rates. In regards to the rooms, we're certainly aware of the updating required to certain aspects of our rooms, and this is a strong focus for us in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you next time.