We booked four nights in a one bedroom apartment at the Saville City Suites East Melbourne through Hotel Club for about $160 a night. This saved us around $100 a night off the rack rate, and was a great bargain considering we were staying over New Years and almost all the other accomodation in the area had jacked their rates up accordingly! We got off an early flight and the friendly staff allowed us to check in about five hours before the official check in time without us even asking (and leave our bags behind for a couple of hours on the day we checked out).
The apartments are in a great quiet spot close to sporting attractions like the MCG and Rod Laver Arena. A tram stop taking you into the city / Docklands or out to North Balwyn / Vermont South is located at the end of the street, an easy 200m walk away. The CBD is about 10 minutes away on foot. Also across the road is the Fitzroy Gardens which are a lovely escape from the hustle and bustle of the city - it's only 20 minutes walk to the pubs and restaurants of Fitzroy through the gardens.
The one bedroom apartments themselves are large and self contained for the leisure traveller. The kitchens are equipped with a stovetop, oven, grill and microwave, as well as a toaster and electric kettle. There weren't any cooking pans in our room when we checked in but a phonecall to reception solved this problem quickly. The bathrooms are spacious and have a bathtub. There are free washing machines and dryers located in laundry rooms throughout the floors (BYO washing powder or buy from reception). There's no broadband access in rooms, it's only available through a single shared PC downstairs in the lobby - keep this in mind if you've got any need to get online, as we had to resort to dial-up in our room and almost drank the mini-bar dry waiting for pages to load... ;-)
The restaurant downstairs does OK but overpriced, bistro food for dinner (although we only resorted to eating there because nothing else in the immediate vicinity was open on New Years Day). There's also a pool, sauna and gym on the ground floor for anyone who's got time for exercise in amongst the eating and shopping which Melbourne is famed for.
A few negatives - the apartment we were staying in (516) could have done with a thorough cleaning - the airconditioning vents were caked with dust resulting in an urgent trip to the chemist for antihistamines (and emitted a strange chemical odour when we turned the aircon on for the first time) ; the rangehood in the kitchen was covered with grease and a few of the windows had oily smears and handprints all over them. Also, the TV wasn't working properly - the picture would drop out completely leaving only sound after a couple of minutes viewing. Not sure what was going on there, it wasn't that big a deal for us but might be a problem if you're planning on spending a lot of time in your room.
All in all we won't hesitate to stay at the Suites again if we can find the same cheap rates - fairly new, clean, spacious self-contained apartments are a hard thing to come by this close to the city!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the sporting and cultural hub of leafy East Melbourne opposite iconic sporting venue the Melbourne Cricket Ground and walking distance from the CBD, Mantra on Jolimont is the definitive crowd pleaser for guests who value convenience and comfort. Ideal for business and leisure travellers alike, Mantra on Jolimont Melbourne offers the ultimate in flexibility with studio and one bedroom apartments that can interconnect to provide comfortable two bedroom accommodation. Reflecting the Mantra hallmarks of offering stylish decor, quality service and great locations, Mantra on Jolimont Melbourne combines the benefits of hotel services with freedom and flexibility befitting a private city apartment. All one bedroom apartments include lounge and dining areas and fully equipped kitchens to provide the ideal home away from home, while studios and one bedroom apartments share a laundry with washing machine and dryer and feature 32" LCD TVs, in-house movies and tea and coffee-making facilities. Guests of Mantra on Jolimont Melbourne enjoy fabulous services including 24-hour reception, room service, wireless internet access, babysitting, daily room servicing, car parking ( fee apply and spaces are subject to availability upon arrival)and foreign currency exchange. Guests can also splash out in the outdoor heated swimming pool, work out in the new fully equipped gymnasium or dine in the on-site restaurant which serves modern Australian cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. From Mantra on Jolimont Melbourne guests are located close to some of the city's major sporting, entertainment and tourist attractions. The MCG, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne Park and the Fitzroy Gardens are on the hotel's doorstep while Federation Square, National Art Gallery, World Trade Centre and Crown Casino are also within easy reach. Mantra on Jolimont Melbourne is a full non-smoking hotel. Car parking is an additional cost and is subject to availablity, not guaranteed. **Extremely limited car parking is available on site at Mantra on Jolimont at a cost of $25 per vehicle, per day. Spaces are subject to availability on a first come, first served basis and cannot be guaranteed under any circumstances. Your car may be moved to an off-site location when parking with us. Alternative self-parking options are available within a 10 minute walk from the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra on Jolimont reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra On Jolimont Hotel Melbourne
- Mantra On Jolimont East Melbourne