“Very small rooms beside railway tracks”
Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Ranked #95 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed one night in this hotel. Very convenient to the MCG. Very small rooms. Very small everywhere and crowded. Felt a bit like being in a dolls house. The bedroom looked out over railway tracks, and it was very noisy all night. We booked in early so were happy to be able to park our car downstairs in the very limited parking area. When we came out the next morning, they had taken our car away, and we had to wait quite a while for it to be returned! Staff weren't very friendly. We wont stay here again, regardless of how convenient it is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the railway tracks.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
KFRANCIS1, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Thank you for posting your recent experience with us.

I apologise that the property was not to your expectations on this occasion. There is no denying our location and the area we are located in however we feel, as do many of our guests, that the positives definately outweigh the negatives when it comes to value and location. The property remains one of the very closest to the event hub in Melbourne and also is located in a residential area which normally affords us a very quiet location. The trains do stop over night and requests can also be made for a city facing room if you are a light sleeper.
I do hope you may reconsider a revisit should you need accommodation over this side of the city, we also have one bedroom suites if room size is also important to you, the studios are a decent size comparatively but the larger rooms are self contained so might have been more suited to your requirements.

Mantra on Jolimont

Write a ReviewReviews (1,961)

Reviewed December 1, 2011

The whole place in need of a major overhaul and update. Arrived 20.30 pm on a Sunday and advised the "restaurant" last orders were at 21.00. Placed an order for 3 people at 20.59 and for a further 2 people at 21.02, Chef said he would only cook the first 3!

We left and had an excellent meal on Lygone street with people who understood what being in the hospitality business is all about.

The Mantra is not recommended by me

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us.
I was dissapointed to hear of your experience in our Restaurant upon your arrival. It certainly appears the crew on that night took the cutoff time to the absoleute second.
I have addressed this one time lack of flexibility with the Restaurant Operator and they have assured us that this is not their usual way of operating and that it will not occur in future.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

My fiance and I stayed here 2 nights while he was in Melbourne working. There was some golf thing going on, so a lot of the area hotels were sold out/super expensive, but we found this close to the city center and at a reasonable price, considering. It was a little outdated, but I liked the set up. It was a quick walk over the footbridge to federation square so I was able to keep busy while my SO was working. plenty of room. ONly thing I would change other than the decor is putting a TV into the bedroom. There is only one in the living room area.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
KFRANCIS1, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Thank you for posting your feedback from your recent stay with us. You are right, the Presidents Cup Golf event was on in Melbourne and the city really embraced the event with most Hotels experiencing higher than average occupancies.
I was pleased to read that the Hotel provided a comfortable base for you and that you found time to relax in our great city. Your comments regarding a television in the bedroom have been taken on board and definately something we are looking at for our apartments in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

My girlfriend and i stayed here for a night on a Wednesday night.
It was small neat. The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was spotless.
We had a light meal in the restaurant downstairs for dinner which was great.
We also ordered breakfast to the room for the morning which was dead on time. And BIG
Honestly for the price of just under 100, it was a lot better than that.
Great value and very friendly staff. Good stay

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
KFRANCIS1, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Thank you for your kind feedback on your recent stay at Mantra on Jolimont. It is always great to receive positive, constructive comments and yours have been shared throughout the entireTeam.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed here for special event due to closeness to rod Laver Arena, Site said limited parking, but if you checked in early you could get an onsite park. We booked in a 2.30 pm and all parks gone. Considering we had baby and car load of assorted baby extras, was very dissappointed that the best offer we got was on street parking, no charge,much risk and $30 overnight parking at the Hilton near a kilometer away.
Building obviously old but getting refurbished, lots of mirrors to let you think of more space. Fridge was on freeze mode so had to tell reception items inside were frozen or cans ruined.
rooms quiet, comfortable and livable.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your comments on your recent experience with us. I was pleased to read that the accommdation was comfortable for your familys' needs.
I understand how the limited car parking spaces could have affected your stay, I also understand how much extra you need when travelling with a young family, suffice to say it is considerably more that normal and apologise we did not have the onsite availability on this occasion.

We hope to see you again when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Three of us used the Mantra for our base for 3 nights to attend a conference. We had a two bed suite and it was more than adequate for our needs. It was clean and well maintained, the staff were friendly and helpful and generally no complaints. It was nice and quiet. The beds weren't the best I've slept in but I guess that's a person thing. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again as the location is outstanding.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
KFRANCIS1, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2011

Thank you for your great feedback on your recent stay with us. I was really pleased to hear that you had a great stay and definately look forward to welcoming you back soon whether it be for business or a holiday next time.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here for two nights when I was in Melbourne for the marathon. I needed somewhere close to the MCG that had a small kitchenette and the Mantra on Jolimont fit the bill perfectly. The staff member that checked me in was friendly and very helpful, and accommodated my request for a flexible check-out time because I was unsure how long presentation/drug testing after the race would take.

I was in a studio on the first floor, which has a shared balcony with all the other first floor rooms. I never saw anyone out there, but it made me wary of leaving the door ajar (even with the safety catch) so I could have fresh air while I slept.

The heater works extremely well and the water pressure in the shower is fantastic. The room was fine - nothing to complain about and nothing out of the ordinary. It was clean and it was serviced on my second day there. The kitchenette consisted of a sink area, a bar fridge, kettle and a microwave. No microwave containers to cook anything (I went and bought one). Also, no teaspoons with the cups and saucers.

One big thing missing was an alarm clock - I was petrified my phone alarm wouldn't go off and I would miss the race! I thought all hotel rooms had clocks!

I'd be content to stay at this hotel if I need somewhere near the MCG again. The Mantra on Exhibition is nicer (I think it's newer) but the Mantra on Jolimont has a pool and restaurant/bar and friendly staff. There was also a notice in the room saying it was undergoing a soft refurbishment, which would freshen up the rooms a little more (there were a few scuffs on the walls from people's bags which would annoy me if I were on a break/holiday, but I didn't care as it was racing/work so not a special trip).

Room Tip: Try to avoid level one so you don't have a shared balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
KFRANCIS1, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Thank you for offering your feedback in this forum on our property. I was pleased to read that the property was a good fit for your requirements, it is indeed perfect for the Melbourne Marathon as the finish line is almost at our front door!
It was a great environment on the Sunday, I hope you did a personal best or at the very least, enjoyed the event.
We hope to see you again in 2012 for this event.