“Good, but lacks attention to detail.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel

The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #18 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Good, but lacks attention to detail.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

I stayed in the Como Suite (usually $2400 a night - last minute got it for $1150). It is a two storey apartment with a 4 person spa in the middle of the lounge - extremely impressive. The staff and amenities are first rate and service is superb. I can recommend a stay if you would like a romantic getaway amongst the hip South Yarra landscape.

While it is very nice, its attention to detail that you could expect from a 5 star is lacking. Not a shop stopper but grubby hand marks over the banister, CD player and piano really feels like it is second rate. The balcony could have been swept of dirt and leaves and the cigarette burned lounge suite could have been repaired. Handles in the spa are lose, remote controls are grubby and front door is scratched and worn. The scuff marks on the walls need to be repaired before this hotel could command the price tag.

I had an issue with the night manager about noise. He visited me as a result of my music and also phoned when he claimed to have received complaints from neighbours; even though I had turned the music off for a while. I really was not that noisy so I think it might have been over the top.

Apart from all of the above it remains a good hotel but has work to do to become a great one. All in all, I would return for a night away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank polymath2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

I booked to stay one night at The Como Hotel after leaving a bad hotel. I was absolutely impressed with the hotel from start to finish. I had arrived at the hotel after getting lost and the concierge Shabob immediately came to my assistance and helped me carry my bags and greeted me. I was then guided to reception where I was warmly welcomed by the reception staff. I had arrived early so I left my bags with the hotel and came back at 2pm.
When I arrived at the hotel I was advised that I have been placed on the 6th floor. As I walked through the foyer, I was quite impressed by how stunning and modern it looked. My hotel room was just gorgeous! The little touches were adorable, such as the slippers with the ducks on them, a plastic rubber ducky in the bathroom and warm bathrobes. The bed was so comfortable and the LCD TV was nice and it had a welcome greeting on the screen.
The bathroom was amazing! It was a spa bath, and next to it was bath salts, which was a lovely touch.
The hotel itself was conveniently located. If you catch the tram you can get off on the corner of Toorak Rd and Chapel St and the hotel is literally a few minutes walk. I myself took the train which was a hassle. The hotel is located so close to the Chapel St shops, great cafes and the divine chocolate shop Ganache!
The only negative thing I can say was the pricey internet in the business centre, it was $9.95 per hour! Luckily the reception staff let me use their computers at reception for free so that I could web check in for my flight the next day!
I really enjoyed my stay here! The staff were so polite and welcoming and my room was flawless.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

Whilst I approached the stay at the Como with some concern, previous reviews are mixed, and ranking 40-something in the list of Melbourne hotels on Trip Advisor for such famous hotel, made me worry. What had happened to the great Como Hotel I thought?
Right from arrival I was not disappointed, this hotel invented the terms 'chic' and its still is as fashionable as the first time I sighted it many years ago.
The check in was fast and efficient, lobby stylish and functional, Issey Mayake fragrance wafting through the lobby.
We stayed in an open plan suite with Japanese spa bath, which has a kitchenette, dinner table, and lounge area with rotating TV which can be turned the other way to allow you to watch TV in bed. Room was well maintained, and marble bathroom was huge, and spa bath worked a treat. Room came with bathrobes, bath sheets, selection of pillows and kitchen had a small amount of cookware/utensils.
Breakfast was delicious, and service both in the restaurant and throughout the hotel was professional.
The hotel is aging a bit, and they are doing their best to maintain, halls appear to have been recently repainted, and to some extent the paint job appears a little 'slap happy'. The rooms have some older furnishings such as old fridge and dated fittings, which take a little away from the feel of the hotel, but otherwise it was a great stay in a great Melbourne icon. One does wonder how they will fair longer term competing against the much more modern & chic Olsen across the road.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dasberliner
Galway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Stayed in the king suite, room was nice, bathroom was lovely with a really nice rain shower. However I've stayed in just as nice 3/4 star's in Ireland therefore don't feel this hotel gave value for money at all. The extra charges for parking just added to the total bill so worked out very expensive for the 2 nights stay and it didn't include breakfast.

Could also hear people walking up and down the halls past the room - I would expect a 5 star hotel room's to be better sound proofed.

For that reason I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DublinAnne14
Queensland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

More like a 3-star establishment. Very average in all aspects except location. Has deteriorated since last stay of a few years ago. Won't be staying there again. Much better options available.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank QueenslandSassyone2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Booked Como for formula one gp race as it was near to track so could walk back and fore and also stay in a nice hotel. The place is very clean and tidy and modern. Check in was a breeze and they had my requested high floor room. Interior of room was tidy, clean and modern and equiped with all the amenities that you could want and also a nice bath and powerful shower. Plus the curtains closed and blocked out the light so all of my must haves were covered.
Problems getting charged $450 a night which is more than twice the normal room rate and rate and still not getting breakfast included is a bit of a rip off. They did offer a breakfast special that if you pre-booked you got a 10% discount. So after a heavy night I phoned down asking for the special and was told that you need to give them 24hrs notice. Seems a bit strange as its a promotion and all you have to do is enter it in the computer. Anyway never got the breakfast special and went out into the street where there were heaps of cafes doing specials for the F1. Then when checking out I got a 1.5% surcharge for using a visa credit card. It seemed to be that the Como was out to get the maximum amount of money any way possible and not interested in possible repeat customers. Would I stay here again the answer is NO.
I would try another hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed in The Como for three nights for the annual Soundwave music festival in Melbourne and two rock concerts and also because clients of mine working for the music events were also staying there. It was a very wise choice and an excellent hotel. I would've stayed there for a fourth night, but stayed at The Langham for that night instead (which is also another great hotel), as the Como was totally fully booked for the night before I checked in. It is not located in the city centre of Melbourne, but in the very nice suburb of South Yarra, where there are loads of lovely cafes, restaurants and boutiques just across the road. I couldn't have chosen a better location in Melbourne, either, because having stayed in Melbourne many times, this area is one of the nicest and most convenient locations in Melbourne. I've stayed in other 5 star hotels in the city centre CBD and it is not as scenic or at all quiet around there as South Yarra is. There is The Como shopping mall right next door to the hotel, too.
I stayed in a studio room with two separate twin beds, which was a lot more spacious than I'd expected. I had a huge window, which looked right onto the hotel courtyard below. Bathroom was also very spacious and the complimentary toiletries were very good quality. There was no bathtub, just a large power shower. Luckily there was a fridge to store food in, too. The hotel foyer and lobby area was always looking immaculate and is modern and stylish. The whole hotel is very chic, rather like walking into a modern art museum. The staff at reception were some of the most friendly hotel front desk staff I've ever encountered and they were extremely helpful. I have to give praise to the hotel health club, which was very quiet and had good facilities. A gym, jacuzzi, sauna and large swimming pool with a cosy sundeck outside was a bonus. One morning I had the whole place to myself! I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant or have breakfast, as there are so many great places to eat within a few minutes walk away. The train station is just up the road and trains to the city centre Flinders Lane station are about 15 minutes, it was actually easier getting to places staying at The Como than if I'd stayed at a hotel in the CBD.
The one disappointment was finding the hotel bar close at 10.30pm on a Thursday night, when the hotel was very booked up with a lot of us who were working at the music festival and some of the bands performing there, so it would have made good business if it had stayed open late for those three nights I was there. The hotel internet connection was an extra charge, so I gave that a miss as I found a good 24 hour internet cafe five minutes walk away.
Next time I go to Melbourne I will definitely be staying at The Como again. Having spent more time in South Yarra, I will never consider staying in the CBD again.

Stayed February 2010, traveled solo