“Great Stay”

Ranked #21 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
“Great Stay”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Booked for 1 night midweek (after a dreadful stay at a Southbank 4 star the 4 nights prior). The outside of the building is undergoing some renovation but there was a helpful lot attendant to direct us (valet or self park within the building). We were surprised with an upgrade to a 2 room suite at check in (and that was on top of an already great deal from Agoda). It was large, modern, spotlessly clean, and well appointed. Bed and pillows were comfortable and room was dead quiet. Dual temperature controls ensures each room maintained comfortable temperature. Large soaker spa tub with plenty of hot water to fill it (bath menu was a little pricey so I just made bubble with shower gel). Toiletries smelled lovely and were a generous size. Staff were professional and room service was delivered promptly. Shopping, cafes & transport on doorstep. On departure I left some items in the closet. When I realized 2 days later and called for them housekeeping had them waiting for pick up. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ausam95

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Adelaide
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We are at the end of a week long stay at the Como. The rooms themselves are large and nicely decorated. The studio suites are good for a couple with one child as the hotel will set up a roll away bed in the separate office area, thus allowing the adults to stay up later and watch tv without keeping a child awake. The hotel is blissfully quiet, with no traffic noise during any of our stays.

The staff are terrifically friendly, and the hotel location is great for shopping and a range of restaurants and cafés.

There are a few things that are inconsistent, particularly with housekeeping. Because we had a toaster in the room, we used it each morning to feed our daughter. This meant we washed dishes and used the detergent provided. House keeping did not always replace the detergent. They also didn't check how low the tissues were, and we ran out. Towel numbers varied. The bins were not always emptied. Tea bags weren't always replenished.

Instant coffee - in such a nice hotel - why? Nespresso machines are cheap, and a selection of pods could be provided. Similar hotels in Melbourne do this - think Sofitel. T2 tea bags should be matched with quality coffee not Nescafé!

We were disappointed in the hotel breakfast. Particularly for the price. The scrambled eggs, bacon and hash browns could have been served in a downmarket cafe. Asked on the presentation and huge size. It could feed two people easily but wasn't very nice. Without the option of just toast and coffee, we ended up paying over $50 for a continental breakfast and the egg disaster for two of us, and neither of us really enjoyed it. Hence we started doing cereal and toast in the room (there's a Woolworths just down the road), and going to the Laurent bakery next door in the Como centre for a croissant and coffee. There are quite a few cafés nearby who would do a cooked breakfast if that's what you're after.

I think the hotel is quite good value for money - though be aware valet parking is $35. We love valet, and the price is consistent with US valet parking, but if you're not so lazy there's self parking, for a price, next door.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Well done Como. Its been many years since I've stayed with you and after our Melbourne 4 night stay last week, we'll be back. Staff are so friendly and accommodating and we love the large rooms.

We didn't get an opportunity to try the bar etc, but next time.

One suggestion please: the water features in the foyer give the hotel a bit of a damp smell. Other than that, well done.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My stay at the Como hotel was fantastic from the start. I managed to secure an awesome deal through Agoda.com saving me valuable shopping money although the hotel it's self is worth it's rack rate and I would of happily paid this had I have not found the special. I arrived in Melbourne on a dreaded red eye flight at 6am so by the time I reached the hotel at 7am I was shattered. The hotel staff assisted me with my booking and checked me into the room early so that I could rest. When I reached my room I was shocked at the size, fantastic sized room with plenty of space funky/elegant room designs with view of outside gardens and a massive spa bath. Would definitely stay here time and time again! Thanks for a wonderful stay team!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had my second stay at the Como in early September and was, again, very happy with the property. This stay I was given a significant upgrade and had a very large suite with both a lounge room and a bedroom. Really comfortable bed and really nice bathroom - even a complimentary rubber duck that I took home for my son. The shower head unfortunately is not the best, which is the only downside in a great bathroom. Also, still a little surprised that in room wifi is not included and charged extra, although I've now read that as an Accor LeClub Gold member, this will now be included at no charge in all Accor properties - great!. All in all, a great stay for business and I'll be coming back again soon.
Side note - stayed for a third time late September and took home another duck for my son!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business