“Great hotel - would return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel

The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #20 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Great hotel - would return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at Como recently and then also a few years back. I loved it then, and love it still - its got a nice chic vibe, great location in the cosmo South Yarra. Found all the staff to be very friendly at every interaction . Housekeeping was great! The hotel was in the process of a refurb, the refurbed rooms are gorgeous and love the new colours and styling - very contemporary. The bathroom - you can tell it's an older hotel by the oversized bathroom and black marble all of which ties in nicely still. The huge spa bath was wonderfully deep and relaxing but the shower head was a water-saving one (yeah, I know thats a good thing!) but not my liking. Bathroom amenities - Morrissey branded, very nice! They also have a pillow menu, which I took advantage of as I dislike feather/down pillows, they quickly provided a foam one.

Rooftop pool was easy to get to - walk along a corridor and then up a set of stairs to the gym & pool area - its not nearly as difficult as some make it sound! Breakfast experience was good as was room service - but I preferred to explore and experience the local scene, after all, you're in Melbourne.

Definitely will keep staying. My final advice - if you plan on heading into the city/CBD everyday you might find this a bit out of the way - its a simple 20-30 min tram ride. But aside from that, nothing to fault with the location and area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Ballarat, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just become an Accor hotel recently, and is undergoing some changes. Concierge was bit rough - it was obvious we needed a hand with our luggage, but I guess he was busy... Rooms were very nice - lots of space and comforts. No printed compendium in room - all on the TV, just don't try and read the text that's there. Blurry and low pixel quality, makes you give up reading the room information ( and there wasn't much information there anyway.!) Then there was the room air conditioning - it was a hot day/night and the room system was hotter inside than out. To the staff's credit they provided a fan for the night to keep us cool, but it made the stay quite unpleasant. On checking out, I again said how it ruined our stay, and the staff member said they would look into it... once upon a time they would have bent over backwards to look after the customer - doesn't make me want to go back in a hurry.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was a surprise stay for my birthday, and the hotel was really lovely. I really liked the modern decor throughout the hotel, and staff were super helpful and friendly.

We stayed in one of the suites, which was huge and had lots of attention to detail. The bathroom, too, was great, and was complete with bath spa. It felt like a very luxuirous room. As we had a few nights here, we also utilised the swimming pool- we had it to ourselves- and the gym looked adequate as well.

The one main drawback of the hotel was that it lacked free wifi; as a 5 star hotel, with many business clients, we would have thought that this would have been included, as it has been at the other hotels of similar calibre that we have stayed in. This might seem like a small hitch to moan about, but I feel that a luxury hotel should have such amenties included within the price, especially as it represents itself in a modern fashion. Additionally, buying the wifi is fairly pricey, and yet necessary for the modern traveller, who wants to see the events on in the area and to book tickets etc.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. I would recommend for definite that you stay here, now you are armed with the above information, as it is luxurious and we would return ourselves.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My sister and I have an annual get together in Melbourne and have stayed at the Como most years. We enjoy the hotel and find it quiet and comfortable.
We are disappointed with the blackout curtains as they let in a strip of light all around the edges and the bathroom has mould in teh silicon.
Staff are always friendly and willing to assist and the room service meals are very good.
Just a few small things would really push this hotel up to 5 star.

Room Tip: Room sizes in the hotel vary so we always choos the twin room which is very large.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank trisha r
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

To celebrate our wedding anniversary, we used our complimentary night from Accor Advantage Plus to book a night at the Como Melbourne.

We arrived mid-afternoon and presented the confirmation letter to the chap at the desk. He checked his records and noted that he had a matching entry in his records - and then asked to see our membership card.

Having forgotten this, I pointed out that my letter and his confirmation would seem to provide adequate proof that the booking was valid - and perhaps I could show him my driver's licence as proof of ID. But no, he fetched a binder from a nearby shelf and started flicking through pages - muttering that he would show me where it says that he has to see the card. I noted that this was pointless as there was no indication on the Accor booking that I had received that it was necessary and I did not have the card with me.

He said that we could call Accor Member Services and get them to confirm the details - I asked him to do this for us but he refused - and said that if we wanted Accor assistance, we would have to arrange it ourselves. I did try, but it was 4 pm on a Sunday and they were already closed (they close at 3pm on Sundays).

I told him that I had hoped for some common sense in the situation. I asked for the manager - to which he said that he was the manager (his badge said Assistant Manager).

We left and went home. I was stunned by this and will not stay at this hotel in future or stay in Accor Advantage Plus scheme in future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
8 Thank Geoff H
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The service was excellent and everything is provided. I was upgraded to a large studio apartment style room which was spotless and spacious. The large bath was a lovely and welcome surprise and I enjoyed a long soak after travelling for work for several weeks!

While the refurbishment has brought this hotel right up to the mark, it is still a white, glass and chrome modern hotel which, to my mind, lacks a little soul or character. I agree with one of the other reviewers comments about lugging the bags up and down the flight of stairs to the lift - a design flaw that could have been fixed in the refurbishment? And, for a 5 star hotel, I did not see any porters on hand to offer help with luggage.

If you sit in the lobby for a while, you will see a few celebrities (with channel Ten just next door) and this is a popular place to stay for Ten staff and guests. Next time, I might try the Olsen just nearby.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business