“Fabulous boutique 5 star hotel”

The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #22 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous boutique 5 star hotel”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed overnight on the weekend at the Como and I can't beleive as a Melbournian that it has taken me this long to find this gem. On offer are all the expected 5 star facilities and services, but the unexpected was the charming aspects that Como as a smaller hotel provides that perhaps the larger hotels can't. The decor has a very distinct Art Deco feel with quality materials and finishes giving a sophisticated feel. We were upgraded from a studio room to an open plan suite - which was a large room with separate living area and enormous marble bathroom including a spa bath. The location is ideal, being right on one of Melbourne's premier shopping strips and a step outside to the tram or 5 min walk to the train station meaning you can easily get around without a car. We found the rooms to be very soundproof and didnt hear other guests or the nearby trams or traffic. Staff were polite and discreet in thier service from check in to room service. Breakfast is in a lovely space with natural light and good quality tablewear. The buffet food was better quality than most I have experienced and the service and ambience were impecible. Didn't try the So bar on this occasion but will next time.This place just has a lovely personal feel and was a pleasure to visit. We'll be back for another South Yarra weekend escape.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissylou62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The decor of the hotel is well appointed. The staff was very helpful!! The rooms are very modern, clean and comfortable. I had an amazing patio outside my room. I was there on business, so I did not have the opportunity to fully enjoy. The location is excellent. There are excellent restaurants of all types within easy walking distance. The only down-side was that I could hear the people next door talking, sneezing and coughing.

Given all of the factors, I would definately stay again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Occasion: I was at The Como earlier this week for business.

The Room: I was in room 307 - a Studio Suite. First impression was that it was HUGE! The photos describe the quality and style of the room perfectly. One whole wall was dedicated to windows overlooking the beautiful courtyard facing away from Chapel St. Very clean, quiet and modern looking - I was rattling around by myself in the room! One thing - the TV doesn't allow you to get the full range of channels (e.g. 7Mate, 11 etc)

Bathroom: Clean and modern. Two things: 1. The toilet didn't flush properly - need to hold the button down longer than usual to ensure everything was gone and 2. I wanted to take a bath in the large, deep tub, but the water was a little too yellow for my liking (could clearly see the difference between the stark white tub and water).

Bed: Huge King sized bed - very soft with wonderful soft pillows. I ran late most mornings due to the fact that I didn't want to leave the bed. Was very tempted to buy their pillows (they offered some - on sale).

Food: The Como serves breakfast (but not lunch of dinner in their dining area - I believe they provide room service). Had the French toast two mornings in a row - delicious and just right though both time it seemed to take a long time to make for french toast (15-20 minutes - but that's just me).

Staff: Helpful and polite - always acknowledged or greeted me with a smile as I passed by to get to the lifts.

Location: About 5 minutes from the train station and great location for shopping.

Overall: Recommended. Great place to stay at - would definitely book again if in the area. (Did not try the Spa)

Room Tip: Try and get a suite/room to the back of the hotel.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

The Como exceeded our expectations - location is excellent with great shopping on Chapel St or Bridge Rd both very close or a short tram ride to the CBD. Its attached to the Como Centre - so movies, massage and shopping pretty much all onsite. Very large rooms. We had room service a few times as the food was excellent. Good gym facilities including sauna, spa and pool (not large enough for lane swimming but good for refreshing). Only constructive feedback - no wifi in rooms !! They need to change that but it wouldn't stop me - this is my pick in Melbourne - I'll be back!

• Stayed September 2012
Brisbane
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Business colleagues had told me to check out this hotel and I'm glad I finally did.

This was a wow experience - it's just a fantastic hotel on so many fronts - with only one small criticism - see below.

The room I had was called an Open Plan Suite and it was extremely spacious and well appointed. It had a great work desk that was separate from the rest of the room - so I had space to spread out and work whilst the rest of the Suite was extremely comfortable - the bathroom was incredible.

I had a lot of work to do so I ended up getting room service which was pretty good - finally a hotel with reasonably priced meal and salad options.

The staff were really friendly - fruit in reception, free bottled water in the room, plus an abundance of newspapers to take the next morning.

I'll definitely be back.

My only (small) criticism - two actually...

1. The iron and ironing board were so tired and clapped out it was hard to get my shirt ironed.
2. Some more info in the room re staff fav local restaurants would be nice as well.

sydney
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed at the Como for the first time on a combination business/romantic holiday with my husband and loved every minute. The location is fabulous, the rooms are whisper quiet and the beds very comfortable. Position is fantastic and staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank travelling008
Sydney Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Spent a night here over the weekend when came to Melbourne for a seminar and found the Como to be perfect. The location couldn't be better- at the junction of two of Melbourne's main shopping streets- Toorak and Chapel sts- with a train station around the corner and a tram stop across the road. The rooms have recently been refurbished and are very generous in size for a city hotel with a large bathroom (just beware if you have trouble jumping hurdles you might want to ask for a room without a bath/shower combo which involved a rather difficult access) that had all the necessay amentities. The king sized bed and linen were heavenly and it was nice to look out over an open parklike area ratyher than at another building (room 312). Front desk staff were friendly and knowlegeable. The reservation staff were happy to match an online price I found so our stay was also extremely good value for money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Como.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is delightful to learn that you found The Como to be delightful. We agree that we are situated in the perfect location particularly for shopping and dining out.

It is also a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed staying in a newly refurbished room. We have many different room configurations at Como including those with separate shower and bath.

Your comments in respect of friendliness and knowledge of front desk staff will be received very well by the team as we are continually working on our customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Wishes,