“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Irvine, California
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

This hotel was referred to me by Jetsetter and was definitely a nice place. It was a bit far from the airport, but that's fine with me. Melbourne is beautiful. I took a taxi everywhere from this location and it wasn't too expensive. There are so many restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. I couldn't tell you where to go, but everywhere I went was good.

The hotel didn't charge for wifi if you became a member of their rewards program. The bar downstairs was a bit pricey, but it is a hotel. I also think they gave me free drinks for becoming a member. Definitely worth going to. The staff were extremely helpful and helped me setup a helicopter ride at the12 Apostles. I recommend doing it if you can. I think it was about $475 for the flight, but well worth it. They also did the wine tasting for me and that was so much fun. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We arrived at the como and were given a free upgrade, which was great, we also appreciated the valet parking. Room was very nice, had spa, bathrobes etc and very spacious, also good light blocking curtains for a great sleep. Right on chapel st, so great shopping nearby and restaurants.
Downfalls- basically the biggest downfall was the cleanliness of the room, we had someone's old sock near our curtains, so obviously they hadn't vacuumed well. Also toliet was brown/dirty, bathroom not very clean at all. Also $35 for parking is a bit steep I think.
I would stay here again, as reception staff, location and facilities are great, but I think they need to have random cleaning checks of the rooms as cleaners are letting u down. I would rate 8.5 out of 10

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 stars
Noosa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

The service is one of the best in Australia with very friendly and efficient staff. the rooms are always immaculate and so much better than the standard hotel rooms. the bathroom with its amazing deep bath is always worth coming back for as well as the robes and the very cute Como duck slippers.

Great room service and great breakfast options as you do not have to have a set breakfast and no room service charge, which is annoying.
A definite one to refer friends to and a great loaction.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Work_AL
ComoMel, Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on your stay at The Como.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope your next stay will be as pleasurable as this one was.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I love the como! My partner and I will always go here for a special occasion and are never let down.

The staff are friendly and hotel beautiful! The rooms are stunning and huge.

Just a nice romantic place to stay :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for you recent feedback, your comments are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Como Melbourne for you celebrate your next special occasion.

Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the 10th of June, for a one night stay.
We booked through wotif.com and did one of their mystery deals. Which is where it gives you the location, price, room informantion and star of a hotel, but doesn't tell you which hotel it is. So after combing through all South Yara 5 Star Hotels, we decieded for such a cheap WOT IF price of only $173, we'd be happy with any! And to our suprise, it was the hotel that looked "Too Good To Be True" in our opinion.
We told them we'd be arriving around 2pm, but arrived in Melbourne quite early, and thought we'd ask to check in anyway at around 10am.
On arrival we were greated by the extremely friendly staff, and told we were given an upgrade! (Could it get much better)? We stayed in the Japanease Spa Suite in the end, and it was the most beautiful room I've ever stayed in, (with the exeption of the Hiltons $800 a night room, of course!).
We absolutely loved our stay, and were given a special deal for breaky of only $25 not $35! And it's all you can eat, plus a huge meal of the menu too! Definetly affordable, just make sure you call up the night before from your room to get the discounted price.! :)
The rubber duck theme is adorable, and we love the free rubber duck that you find in the bath! :)
Couldn't find a single fault in the place.
So my partner and I sincerly hope if you choose to stay at The Como, that it is as wonderful as what it was for us!
xx

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Como Melbourne.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and your upgrade.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Excellent stay. Will definitely come back. Excellent location, great rooms (even the basic ones), great service and facilities. Food is good but not great. In any other location I would say it's amazing, but they are competing with such amazing restaurants and cafes around chapel St, they really need to lift their game to keep up. But overall amazing - no complaints.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for you recent feedback, your comments are greatly appreciated.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to The Como Melbourne in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I wanted to stay in the South Yarra area - the mecca for shopping - and took a gamble on booking a five-star hotel for the June long weekend through Wotif. This lucky dip gave me the jackpot: The Como Melbourne for a third of the regular rack rate!
I was supposedly in one of the "entry-level" rooms - room 524 but this seemed like a wonderful suite to me after some of the teensy-roomed European hotels I've stayed in.
It had a separate office/desk area which was nice - it's no fun tapping away on your laptop while perched on your bed which I had to do a few times in France - a roomy bathroom (although, no bathtub which I had been looking forward to), a huge sofa, TV on a central pivot on a bureau centrally located in the room so you could watch it from bed or the sofa, and a huge, comfortable king-size bed.
The view looked down onto the central well but it made it quiet so I didn't mind.
While i know Melbourne winters are famous for being cold, the Como's air conditioning worked a little too well as I had to turn it off to cope with the incredibly thick, too-hot-in-fact, doona. The next morning I requested my bed be made up with a blanket instead which I did have ask to be done once more when I returned from a day-long trip to the Twelve Apostles.
The 3-night internet charge was $58 which was maybe a little high but it's a tax-deduction anyway and it helped us plan a few things. The valet parking charge is $35 per 24 hours, too.
Never did make it to the shops with a full weekend of family and romantic plans, but it was super-easy to get around with the no 8 tram whizzing past and the South Yarra train station a very short walk away.
I would stay here again in a flash!

Room Tip: Book on Wotif to get a decent deal